Plunge Saw Purchase

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark65

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All, I would like to buy a plunge saw and have narrowed it down to the Makita SP6000J/2 and what I think would be overkill the Festool TS55, as my wife works at Screwfix I can get the Makita for £215 or the Festool for £382, I was leaning towards the Makita, I will be putting a kitchen in (40mm worktops) and need to lift some old tongue and groove floorboards without butchering them like the electricians did.
As I'm neither a drinker or smoker I like to spend my money on decent goods where possible , I watched too many videos on the subject so I thought I would ask here.
As the Makita track is cheaper would that work with the festool or as one video showed there were small differences in the track sizes even on the same makes but different lengths.
Thanks for any advice

Mark

Take a look at the Mafell, bought one a couple of weeks back and it was cheaper than the Festool……..which I wasn’t expecting! IMO it’s a far better saw. Sideways a good friend has the Festool…….and now also has a Mafell!!

Yes.
The TS55 is a good saw but the Mafell is a better saw and the extra length of the 2x 1.6m Mafell rails and their superior rail joining system are better for 8x4 sheets.

I'll be swapping over.

2.9m cut in 2" softwood
20220831_142356.jpg

Last edited:
Hi All, I would like to buy a plunge saw and have narrowed it down to the Makita SP6000J/2 and what I think would be overkill the Festool TS55, as my wife works at Screwfix I can get the Makita for £215 or the Festool for £382, I was leaning towards the Makita, I will be putting a kitchen in (40mm worktops) and need to lift some old tongue and groove floorboards without butchering them like the electricians did.
As I'm neither a drinker or smoker I like to spend my money on decent goods where possible , I watched too many videos on the subject so I thought I would ask here.
As the Makita track is cheaper would that work with the festool or as one video showed there were small differences in the track sizes even on the same makes but different lengths.
Thanks for any advice

Mark

I know you are looking to buy new, but I have to say I am absolutely delighted with the TS55 that I purchased second hand two years ago, and wouldnt hesitate to replace it if I had any issues with it.

I use the Excel tracks from Tools4Trade which fit perfectly. They do a set of 2x700mm with joining bar for £27 (Excel 2 x 700mm Aluminium Plunge Saw Guide Rail & Connector), and they do sell the 1.5m ones as well (but these use a different connector) - the 1.5m ones are out of stock at the moment but are usually £35 each.

Peter Millard does a good 'what tracks are compatiable' video on youtube which is easy to find.

I have the makita - fantastic kit…
not sure you can go wrong with any of them…

my recommendation is that you should buy the best you can. Festool (I have one) and Mafell are the best, Makita though a good machine is second tier.

If you just want a tracksaw the ranking is not that different, but my Festool tracks work with my TS55 and OF1400, the OF1400 uses the LR32 system as well a being a rail guided router.

So just looking at the saw by itself is to loose sight of the bigger picture. One point is that the Festool doesn’t depreciate much, or at all, so you can virtually guarantee to resell it for the same or more than you pay.

Last edited:
need to lift some old tongue and groove floorboards without butchering them like the electricians did
I did this recently, used an old circular saw. No reason not to use a top quality brand new track saw but I would be concerned about damage to the very expensive blade from unseen nails. I would be tempted to put a cheaper blade in it, as long as it did not reposition the edge of the splinter guard. I am sure someone on here could advise on this.

I have the Mafell MT55cc (with tracks) …it’s a pure joy to use. Eg, mid-board plunge into 40mm solid oak kitchen worktop - a breeze! Trim 5mm off the bottom of a door while it’s still hung in situ - easy. Also use with an MFT for repeatable precision cuts.

This machine has ‘anti-kick back’ technology, hence no need for a riving knife. For such a powerful machine it feels really safe. Admittedly, not made massive use of the unique scoring feature as have yet to cut veneered surfaces, but have future ambitions to get into vacuum-veneering..

Also, bought an extra Bosch FSN rail (cheaper than branded Mafell, despite being exactly the same) plus Bosch router sled and rail connecter bar, all bought on promotion from eBay.

FFX eBay, do routine promotion periods (ranging between 10-15-20%, but with a varying max ultimate discount of £50/£60/£75). If going this route aim for at least £60 off, although you might have to be patient as currently eBay is only offering 10% off/max discount £50, so it’s possible to get better.

Dust extraction is critical to me as not working in a dedicated workshop - again, in this area, the MT55cc excels.

When using with dust extraction (connected to a hose) IMO I don’t see the point of coveting the 18v cordless version, due to extra unnecessary expense as you’re already tethered!

All my kit is boxed and mobile, I.e. on various mobile wheeled bases… the 2 Mafell tools I have use Systainers, which match up with the Festool Midi vac, which forms the wheeled base for my power tools. Also part of this “stack”, I have a Makita sander, which is compatible with the Festool/Mafell Systainer stacking system.

If you live in a Victorian terrace with on street parking as I do, then the ability to wheel your tools around is of great benefit.

If you believe this track saw is going to be your most used tool - then do it!

Plus, resale value on the Mafell (and Festool TS55) is remarkable - as already stated.

Hi again, I watched Peter Millards video from 2020 comparing the Festool and Mafell, there was a bit about the gap on the scoring cut being more than it should although I read the comments I dont know if it was sent back for checking but as someone pointed out just set the depth to 3mm and score backwards, the Mafell kit would be £544 with the two lengths of 1.6m track and carry case once you factor that into the Makita it goes up to near enough £350 (case and 2x1.5m track no discount as Screwfix dont sell track)) and the Festool £582 (case and 2x1.4m track including discount) It starts to look better for the Mafell.
Will I use it after I've done the work in the house, who knows but as pointed out it will hold its value most likely, I also have 4 oak laminate doors to trim before hanging.
The choices are mind numbing.
Jonm, yes I would buy a cheaper blade for that, the electricians just cut across the t&g then ripped the boards up, never bothered with the tongue removal and as such I have some I need to replace along with having to put a block to the side of the joist to give the board something to screw too.
It seems to be the way things are these days poor quality work for large amounts of money.
Mark

Don't forget the Makita has the scoring function, the festool lacks power but does have the best dust extraction and the Bosch / Mafell apparently have the best rail connectors. If you have the space then rather than connect the rails, Makita does a 3 metre one. If you search through @JobandKnock post he gave some good info which convinced me to replace my angle iron setup for one.

Last edited:
The problem with buying something like a track saw is knowing where to draw the line, it's always just a few quid more for the next model up. It's always nice to have the best but do you really need it?

The Makita is a great saw and will do all you need.

The Festool is lovely, I've used and abused mine for years but be warned Festool is a slippery slope.

The Mafell is lovely and their tracks are really nice, you can clamp them closer to the cut line than the Festool which is handy.

The new Festool TS 60 looks nice as it can also run on the Festool FSK crosscut rails which would be useful. I haven't had a play with one yet but when they make a cordless version it might just be my next saw :unsure:

I suppose they all perform the same task in cutting sheet goods, the deciding factor apart from cost is going to be the rails. The Makita is middle ground, a good trade rated tool that will do all you want, it just depends if you want to spend even more for diminishing returns.

track)) and the Festool £582 (case and 2x1.4m track including discount) It starts to look better for the Mafell.
Will I use it after I've done the work in the house, who knows but as pointed out it will hold its value most likely, I also have 4 oak laminate doors to trim before hanging.

Mark
don’t buy the Festool with 2x1.4m track. Even with a joiner they are a poor choice. 1 is to short to crosscut a full sheet, 2 are too short to rip a full sheet. You have to allow a substantial overhang for the saw and 200 mm isn’t enough. also don’t buy a standard rail if there is a LR32 near the size you want. you may have no plans to add shelf pins now but plans change and the extra cost for the holly rail is minimal.
Also seeing that you are going to buy at a discount you are virtally guaranteed to sell for more than you paid even 10 years down the line.

Last edited:
Hi again, I watched Peter Millards video from 2020 comparing the Festool and Mafell, there was a bit about the gap on the scoring cut being more than it should although I read the comments I dont know if it was sent back for checking but as someone pointed out just set the depth to 3mm and score backwards, the Mafell kit would be £544 with the two lengths of 1.6m track and carry case once you factor that into the Makita it goes up to near enough £350 (case and 2x1.5m track no discount as Screwfix dont sell track)) and the Festool £582 (case and 2x1.4m track including discount) It starts to look better for the Mafell.
The choices are mind numbing.
Jonm, yes I would buy a cheaper blade for that, the electricians just cut across the t&g then ripped the boards up, never bothered with the tongue removal and as such I have some I need to replace along with having to put a block to the side of the joist to give the board something to screw too.
It seems to be the way things are these days poor quality work for large amounts of money.
Mark
To clarify, the Mafell saw I had was a loaner/demo machine from a retailer, and I have no knowledge of how it was treated by previous borrowers; the Festool I’ve owned from new. Yes, a scoring cut is easily achieved by setting it to 2-3mm, but Mafell make a big song & dance about their ‘special 1/10mm offset’ so it was only reasonable to try it out, and I found it wanting. It was returned to the retailer, who returned it to Mafell for checking over, but I received no further feedback on it, despite asking the question several times.

If you’re looking at one of the ‘big six’ saws from Makita / DeWalt, Bosh / Metabo, and Festool / Mafell, then they all have pros and cons but generally speaking the Makita and DeWalt are favoured by guys in the trade as they’re robust, the least costly of the bigger brands, and are readily available. Festool and Mafell are probably the best plungesaws you can buy, with Bosch & Metabo in the middle.

As I’ve said here before, things like dust collection, spare parts, guiderail compatibility, blade size, noise, weight etc… - these are all relatively objective and easy to assess for your use. Much harder are the subjective things like handling, ease of use and finesse eg does that robustness of the Makita translate to crudeness in the hand? It does for me, but I know it doesn’t for others.

So, I’d try and get hands-on with any saw you’re thinking of buying, because only you can decide if it’s right for you.

HTH P

Thanks again everyone, I came across another video regarding the score line issue and the chap included Peters issue on it in his video but his score line worked as it should so he thought Peters may have been slightly faulty. The slippery slope is too late for me, to get the great discount it has to come from Screwfix and the Mafell once the discount is factored in is a great price especially with the 2x1.6 track and bag so I took the plunge ;) so to say.
I'm lucky I'm older and no kids at home (still partly subsidising one) so I have a little extra to spend these days, I can always sit with the saw and watch re runs of Norm in the New Yankee Workshop, always liked watching that show.
Now I just need some other blades, give you a shout on that next month.
Mark

Attachments

• Standard.JPG
    Standard.JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back