February Challenge - a fisherman's priest

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lons":2116ymag said:
Random Orbital Bob":2116ymag said:
I was rather developing some sympathy with a full on baseball bat :)

That's what you keep under your bed to bash in the brains of burglars (if they have any0. :lol:

I'm a girly so I have a hockey stick!!! .... soon to be accompanied by a fisherman's priest!

Melinda_dd":2vlue6x0 said:
Lons":2vlue6x0 said:
Random Orbital Bob":2vlue6x0 said:
I was rather developing some sympathy with a full on baseball bat :)

That's what you keep under your bed to bash in the brains of burglars (if they have any0. :lol:

I'm a girly so I have a hockey stick!!! .... soon to be accompanied by a fisherman's priest!

the way things are going Melinda, you're going to need arms like a bodybuilder to lift the thing :lol:

<quote from original post>
He will also look to see that a suitably “heavy” wood has been used – a balsa wood priest would not be of much use, after all!
</quote>
So maybe not just a demonstration of turning ability ?

I've decided (because I actually fish) that I plan to make mine capable of being used rather than purely for competition purposes. It just seems a shame to fail to make it functional given I have an actual need and I also forgot to say that the original one I turned is somewhere on the banks of a chalk stream in Dorset!! And I bet its a hell of a lot more spalted now than it was then!

Hi

As a turner and fisherman I've turned a few priests - some I've weighted by boring and inserting brass or lead secured with epoxy. This may be permissible under the competition rules dependant on how the statement 'turned from a single piece of wood' is interpreted.

Would parting in two, boring and re-assembling constitute 'turned from a single piece of wood' I wonder?

With regard to scale - a salmon priest would not normally exceed 8" in length, a trout version would be smaller at around 6" - 7"

Regards Mick

Spindle":bnjy5wpq said:
....... some I've weighted by boring and inserting brass or lead secured with epoxy. This may be permissible under the competition rules dependant on how the statement 'turned from a single piece of wood' is interpreted.

Would parting in two, boring and re-assembling constitute 'turned from a single piece of wood' I wonder?

Hi Mick,

The Challenge is aimed at testing your woodturning skills. :shock: :shock: We are not looking for boring and insertion of weights, nor parting, boring and re-assembly. Regrettably, therefore, both ideas would fall outside the rules. :cry: :cry:

I hope that what is required is now clear to all intended entrants.

Wouldn't it be fairer to say that pieces will be marked purely on the turning, however if the entrant wants to insert lead in the end to make it a more functional tool thats up to them? So no extra points, but not to be disqualified for actually doing it properly? :D

Hi all

As the judge, I have no interest in disqualifying people, we want this to be as accessible as possible to everyone so, as far as I'm concerned:

The aim is a priest, we want it to be as 'real' as possible, hence my stipulation that a suitable wood is needed, we've had fishermen post saying beech is heavy enough so beech is as accessible as it gets, anything more dense is fine too. I'm not judging the wood choice beyond the fact that a softwood priest isn't really a priest. If you want to use it yourself and feel happier putting metal in the end for weight then it's fine BUT it won't give you extra points either for design or skill as I feel (I'm sure Mike would agree) that metal working skills are a whole other ball game and it will put people off entering if they have to source lead and work out how to insert it in the priest!

The aim was to make this as simple and accessible as possible so if you've got a piece of 2"x2" beech about 8" long you can enter!!

Hope that has clarified things

Richard

Richard Findley":2j3aayxv said:
if you've got a piece of 2"x2" beech about 8" long you can enter!!
I have that very fellow! Well, it's more like 10" long, but that should allow plenty scope for messing up the parting off the first 3 or 4 times. :oops:
Now all I need is a break in the weather to get out there and do some turning.

Back