February Challenge - a fisherman's priest

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henton49er

Established Member
Reaction score
February’s Challenge is a fisherman’s priest. This is an item which is used by anglers to rapidly despatch fish they have caught into the great fishpond in the sky. There are usually two sections to the priest, a handle and the bit with which you hit the fish, but it is turned from a single piece of wood.

If in doubt see Google images :-
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=fishe ... 76&bih=638

Richard Findley has kindly agreed to be our judge for this month’s Challenge. There will be a plaque for first place, kindly made for us by forum member Daven. Many thanks to both. =D> =D> =D>

Challenge Requirements: A Fisherman’s Priest

This month’s rules are:-

The Challenge is open to anyone and everyone
Your entry must be new and made specifically for the Challenge
Entries must be turned on a lathe using woodturning tools.
There are no minimum or maximum size restrictions, other than practicality for use as a priest.

No decoration, colouring, piercing or texturing is allowed. We want to see your turning abilities!!

Because this month’s Challenge is a relatively simple project, Richard has advised that he will be critical over little things. Entrants should make sure curves are smooth and flowing, there should be no torn grain and in particular he will be looking at the parting off to see how well it has been done. He will also look to see that a suitably “heavy” wood has been used – a balsa wood priest would not be of much use, after all!

Please post 3 images of your work along with a brief note about how you made it, what tools and finish you used, what wood you used and the objects dimensions etc.

1 showing a general view
1 showing an end view in close up
1 showing the other end view in close up

Image size - please use image size 640 x 480 0.3 mp, as in previous challenges

Please upload your pictures and description between 10pm on the 26th February and 10pm on the 28th February.

Please also send me a PM giving me your own opinions of 1st, 2nd and 3rd places amongst the entries (other than your own) between 10pm on 28th February and 10pm on 2nd March (for me to compile the entrants’ scoring).

Any queries or questions on this month’s Challenge, please use this thread to ask.

The challenge states it is to be turned from one piece of wood. Does this preclude the use of brass to give the business end a bit more weight. This is quite a common method as can be seen from the images in the challenge post.

procell":2lrln3cd said:
The challenge states it is to be turned from one piece of wood. Does this preclude the use of brass to give the business end a bit more weight. This is quite a common method as can be seen from the images in the challenge post.

I read that as just an description of a priest and not part of the rules otherwise it would have been further down where it says "This month’s rules are:-"

Well I hope so as I am 1/2 way through mine already which would mean starting again. Mind you I did miss something in the rules and looks like I may have to remake 2 pieces :oops: :oops: :oops:

procell":2mir9jxr said:

The intention is that you use a "heavy" type of wood such that the addition of brass, lead etc etc to provide additional weight at the "business end" is not necessary. I therefore judge that it would be outside the rules as stated.

Sorry if that causes potential entrants to have to start again (but this is a woodturning challenge, and that is what Richard wants to judge).

It make it pointless as you need to make it heavy and i cant think of a wood that would do what lead dose so it a pointless rule and i will nit be entering for this reason

also how dose putting some lead in the end not have anything to do with wood turning as most priest are weighted most of the entry are going to have to be baseball bats to be heavy

bellringer":wu4l9otj said:
It make it pointless as you need to make it heavy and i cant think of a wood that would do what lead dose so it a pointless rule and i will nit be entering for this reason

Not entering the Challenge is your prerogative. I note that you have not entered for at least the past 13 months.

I spoke to a fisherman friend of mine about the Feb challenge and I asked him about adding extra weight with a metallic core at the end etc.. and he said not to bother, as long as it's made from a good dense hardwood it'd be no problem using it to dispatch a large fish. He makes a living from fishing so I'm going to trust his advice.

Just to confirm this need to be made from 1 piece of wood.

My having to remake parts is down to me for not reading the rules about "No decoration, colouring, piercing or texturing is allowed." I missed the "No" part

Also does that also mean no beads or coves as these are really decoration

Dalboy":20n1ajes said:
Just to confirm this need to be made from 1 piece of wood.

My having to remake parts is down to me for not reading the rules about "No decoration, colouring, piercing or texturing is allowed." I missed the "No" part

Also does that also mean no beads or coves as these are really decoration

just turn a round piece of wood as it say no decoration that could me lots of things not aloud like ring around the end so it a silly rule

Says in description usually made of 1 piece.....
But in rules doesn't actually state so thought i'ld ask

Can handle and whacking end be different woods
Or can we laminate to get a bigger diametre for whacking end?

Reason for asking no thick long blanks for adequate bashing diametre... but have a few short thick bits that could go on the end?

I am a fisherman
I have never used a lathe...soon I hope

can i just say that although this is a turning competition, it is important that the item...a priest is up to the job

if it is not heavy enough and has to be used twice
it is not satisfactory

sorry to be a Miserable Old Git, but I feel quite strongly about this

Steve

p.s. really sorry to put a "downer" on this

SteveF":2jtanm03 said:
can i just say that although this is a turning competition, it is important that the item...a priest is up to the job

Not necessarily. We have had Challenges for a matched pair of chess pieces, but you could not play chess with them as you need the other 30 pieces. We have had Challenges for a cup and saucer, but no-one suggested serving tea or coffee from them. We have had ceremonial items such as gavel and block, which may or may not have been "fit for purpose".

If an entrant makes a priest that complies with the Challenge rules, but cannot humanely be used as an actual fishing aid, then so be it - don't use it.

henton49er":3tg5o9u7 said:
SteveF":3tg5o9u7 said:

Not necessarily. We have had Challenges for a matched pair of chess pieces, but you could not play chess with them as you need the other 30 pieces. We have had Challenges for a cup and saucer, but no-one suggested serving tea or coffee from them. We have had ceremonial items such as gavel and block, which may or may not have been "fit for purpose".

If an entrant makes a priest that complies with the Challenge rules, but cannot humanely be used as an actual fishing aid, then so be it - don't use it.

it makes it pointless turning it if it dose not do the job

bellringer":3m9ufpz5 said:
henton49er":3m9ufpz5 said:
SteveF":3m9ufpz5 said:

it makes it pointless turning it if it dose not do the job

Bellringer
We get the jist your not impressed. A lot of us enjoy the challenge and after all, it's about taking part, being in a group of people with simular interests, turning something in a way you wouldn't usually.... I for one don't do much spindle turning so it's good practice. ... I don't intend on testing it on my goldfish... just to see if it works.
If you don't like the rules, the item to be turned, any questions or comments....
No one is forcing you to take part.. read the comments or even comment yourself.

i take your comments on board

maybe i was a bit forward

sorry for any offense caused

Steve

Back