February Challenge - a fisherman's priest

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you henton49er for clarifying that looks like back to the drawing board and to see if I have a piece large enough in my log pile :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I think I will still complete the one I have started just for fun and post it also good job I did not go for my first design as that was going to be carved with a fish on the side :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dalboy":1o7reei6 said:
Thank you henton49er for clarifying that looks like back to the drawing board and to see if I have a piece large enough in my log pile :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I think I will still complete the one I have started just for fun and post it also good job I did not go for my first design as that was going to be carved with a fish on the side :lol: :lol: :lol:

Would have liked to have seen that one!! :D

It's a well known fact that fisherman often expand the truth when it comes to the size of fish they have caught :oops:
but they don't say they used a piece of lignum vitae with a depleated uranium core. It's a turning competition not a weapon making competition and if what you make couldn't kill a goldfish - does it matter?

Anyway I'm not worried as I once caught a fish this big.......(.............................................) ! and I couldn't kill it so I put it back!

As I mentioned earlier, I am a fisherman and a turner and I regularly fly fish for trout. One of the first things I ever turned was a spalted beech priest. It was quite substantial as I was concerned if it was too light it wouldn't be humane. I can happily report that on its first outing it happily despatched a 4lb rainbow and another around the 2lb mark. Now beech isn't exactly lignum vitae so as long as the instrument isn't too diminutive I can personally vouch for its fitness for purpose thus the contention that it requires Kryptonite welded to its extremities is a tad rum.

It's purpose is to win a competition as defined by the rules therein....no more....no less. If it happens to also help a trout on its way to your Lemon/dill parcel then so much the better.

If I actually get my entry finished in time this month [for a change] I may take it to the pet shop first for testing/grading.

I will aim for a bishop but will probably end up with a virger!

Melinda_dd":3usi0dhw said:
Dalboy":3usi0dhw said:

Which one the idea of the fish carving or the one I am half way through.

Have now started (hopefully ) the final one :lol: :lol:

Making mine out of some green oak, at the moment it looks like a Rounders bat - i.e. a shorter version of a baseball bat! But from the images I have seen that is ok. Need to refine the shape some more and work on the 'grippy' end - then fingers crossed that I can get a finish on it, and take some photo's before any splits or shakes show as it dries further....

Sammo

Sorry if my question started a furious debate that was not my intention. I just wanted to know if the metal additions seen in some of the pics was within the rules.
I will make one from a single piece of ebony I have. It is one of my old police truncheons that got split when it was run over by a stolen car. Seems appropriate that it be retired and re turned into a new object for subduing dumb creatures.

Dalboy":cm2ssf9a said:
Melinda_dd":cm2ssf9a said:
Dalboy":cm2ssf9a said:

Which one the idea of the fish carving or the one I am half way through.

Have now started (hopefully ) the final one :lol: :lol:

The carved one would have been nice to see. I love carved things... not done any tho!

Is it just me or is anyone else finding this seemingly simple challenge a bl***y difficult one?
I thought it's about time I tried to use a skew rather than just sharpening it and being slightly scared of it! (wish I hadn't bothered!) I'm having an absolute nightmare with the damn thing! what was going to be an implement of death capable of knocking the sense out of a whale has ended being little more than a pretend rounders bat !
Time to start again me thinks!

Bob's right, I've made one before out of yew for a friend and he has dispatched many trout with it. Maybe the scale on the pictures is unclear, but a priest would typically be quite small as fly fisherman like to travel light- a rounders bat would be too big, think 500ml coke bottle but thinner.

Woodmonkey":108v6iq3 said:
Bob's right, I've made one before out of yew for a friend and he has dispatched many trout with it. Maybe the scale on the pictures is unclear, but a priest would typically be quite small as fly fisherman like to travel light- a rounders bat would be too big, think 500ml coke bottle but thinner.

Wow that is a different scale to what they look like!! perhaps I have got a bit of wood that would do the job after all!

Melinda_dd":2mith1n7 said:
...Wow that is a different scale to what they look like!! ...

Think of something long enough to rap someone firmly over the knuckles whilst held in your hand.

Was more than enough to bruise my knuckles badly whilst trying to show an erratic young mother how to kill her children's trout catches quickly.

The issue of scale is why they are sometimes weighted on the end with brass etc. It gives it more heft whilst keeping the length down so it can fit in your average Orvis fly fishing waistcoat. However, as already discussed at length that needn't be a consideration here. If it were, you would need to use a very dense wood like Lignum Vitae or similar or it would risk being too lightweight.

But I concur with the poster who said its not as easy as it looks. I assumed (foolishly) the one I made originally would be a doddle and it turned out to be surprisingly tricky.

Woodmonkey":3tkz1wy6 said:
Spot on!

Here's mine made many years ago out of rosewood and brass. Smaal enought to carry in a pocket, heavy enought to dispatch a fish with just a quick tap without bashing its brains in. This one has worked on fish up to 10 lbs. (salmon in that case).

I have no problem with the competition rules though personally feel a large priest is unweildy in practice, it is after all just about form and technique, not a working tool. having recently bought a lathe again I'll have a go at the comp if I can find time in between all my pen turning.

Bob

Random Orbital Bob":240j95fv said:
I was rather developing some sympathy with a full on baseball bat :)

That's what you keep under your bed to bash in the brains of burglars (if they have any0. :lol:

Latest posts

Back