Featherboards

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@petermillard (and many others on YT) have stuff about making your own from MDF.

I made mine from plastic IKEA chopping boards, although I do have some purchased ones that came with a router table.

Mine are beech and one or two other varieties. Just off-cuts with a line of band sawn cuts to make combs of various shapes and sizes. Can't imagine why anybody would want to buy such simple devices. Five minutes to make one.

On the pricier side, I added these JessEm Clear Cut Stock Guides after good experience with them on my tablesaw ..

RTF8a.jpg

They perform two tasks in one: push the work piece down against the table, and push it against the fence. The tyres are angled for the latter.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I treated my self to a pair of jessEm guides along with some Ujk feather boards and a laminated ujk router top insert and micro adjust guide etc all looks lovely in my garage 😉
Just a pain to keep dusting it off😜

Last edited:
I bought some from ebay dirt cheap they work fine. I often just use a bit of wood clamped in the right place, more like a shaw guard on a spindle moulder which also works fine.
I like the idea of those jessem wheeled ones. I am thinking you just need a set of small skateboard or roller blade wheels a few nuts and bolts and some wood offcuts and you could fabricate something really good. Would need some kind of springs though.

Ollie

I bought some from ebay dirt cheap they work fine. I often just use a bit of wood clamped in the right place, more like a shaw guard on a spindle moulder which also works fine.
I like the idea of those jessem wheeled ones. I am thinking you just need a set of small skateboard or roller blade wheels a few nuts and bolts and some wood offcuts and you could fabricate something really good. Would need some kind of springs though.

Ollie
I made a set based off a design from a sadly now passed previous member. It's essentially this - a long wide(ish) sturdy bit of plywood with a slot in it for a bolt to attach to a mitre slot runner (or clamping style) to make it wood width adjustable and a semi springy metal bar with small rollers bolted to the end at an downward angle so as they spin it pushes the wood onto the table saw surface.

I made two for thin and thicker stock.

That member had all sorts of really handy jigs etc, he was Polish iirc and died a number of years ago now - I wish I could remember his name.

I've also made standard design versions based off Steve Maskery's design (or was it Peter millard?) made from 20mm thick UPVC replacement fascia offcuts - which works really well and the fingers, if made about 10mm thick, don't snap off at all.

Sure you can buy them, depends on your finances and how preciously you're going to treat them - far as I can tell the reason many make them is they have offcuts coming out of their ears and won't mind if they get chewed up a bit.

Edit -
OH - I've just remembered his name - Niki - and he had pages and pages of jigs, good ones - all of which some kind member had collected and moved to one post in the forum after the news of his death by his wife.

Phew they still exist - link for any person interested, he really was very good at dreaming up jigs.

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads/the-wonderful-world-of-nikis-jigs.107708/

Last edited:
I like and use Jessem feather boards (single and double) and their clear guides as well as the build in CMS feather board. All work very well. I would also look at the Bow foam ones.

Just had a look for Niki's page as recommended by Rafezetter, unfortunately the post is there but when I select an item from the list I get " Page not found". Any chance of it being reinstated Mods?

Just had a look for Niki's page as recommended by Rafezetter, unfortunately the post is there but when I select an item from the list I get " Page not found". Any chance of it being reinstated Mods?
I'm working on them link by link in my spare time. The transition from the previous forum software to XenForo left some embedded internal links broken. If there is a particular thread you want to read in the interim, you can work around the "Page not found" notice as follows:

1. Edit the URL, such as

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15372&highlight=

to

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads/15372

2. Each thread and post at UKW has a unique ID number. The "15372" is the thread ID number for Niki's Triangles thread. The software will find the thread, if it still exists, and replace the URL with the full XenForo link of

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads/triangles.15372/

Ollie78
pretty sure those fancy wheeled guides have offset bearings/wheels and some sorta spring arrangement....plus a one way clutch....
u prob know already...

Back