HEDGEHOG FAN FEATHERBOARD

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eric123

Reaction score
Hello, I have just purchased a Hedgehog fantail featherboard. Can anyone tell me how to use it an a Hyundai table saw which has onlu 12mm slide grooves

I assume this has a sliding shoe that is meant to fit into the groove of your table saw. Failing being able to purchase a shoe to fit, you could make one yourself, or even adapt the one supplied. It is not that complicated.
They seem to have a rebate which will only fit into correspondingly rebated grooves on your table saw. If your saw doesn't have this feature, then it might be possible to make a longer, un-rebated, shoe, and have this screwed into the groove, though this would stop it being easily adjustable

I had to google the Hyundai saw and see that its got strait sided table slots. You could make a shoe from 12mm wide aluminum. Drill a hole and countersink it on the bottom. Then slit it up the middle going through the hole. Use a matching countersunk bolt to tighten the featherboard. As the bolt head tightens into the countersink it expands the sides of the shoe to grip the sides of the slot. On 19mm slots a hardwood rail/shoe works but I think it would be a bit fragile at 12mm.
Regards
John

I assume this has a sliding shoe that is meant to fit into the groove of your table saw. Failing being able to purchase a shoe to fit, you could make one yourself, or even adapt the one supplied. It is not that complicated.
They seem to have a rebate which will only fit into correspondingly rebated grooves on your table saw. If your saw doesn't have this feature, then it might be possible to make a longer, un-rebated, shoe, and have this screwed into the groove, though this would stop it being easily adjustable
Many thanks

Are you equipped to drill and tap a hole in the table top, after carefully checking that you won't hit anything? If so, you might consider figuring out the best place to do that. The hedgehog, more than some other designs, might do well with that, because it seems to have, in effect, one "mounting" hole.

Are you equipped to drill and tap a hole in the table top, after carefully checking that you won't hit anything? If so, you might consider figuring out the best place to do that. The hedgehog, more than some other designs, might do well with that, because it seems to have, in effect, one "mounting" hole.
Thanks for that. I will have a look to see if it is possible to drill a hole in the right position without damage.

You might even be able to drill it in the base of the mitre slot, if there's enough metal below that.

Holes drilled and tapped on the table somewhere are endemic in old machinery, so it would not be without precedent. And it's not a difficult task, if you've never done it, although it would be worth finding a piece of scrap metal (aluminum is good - easy) to try out first. Tap, tap holder of some sort (the T-shaped ones are best), drill bit the right size (which will be called out on the tap, if the British practice is like American practice; or in a chart on the interweb, if it's not), some light oil, and patience.

Latest posts

Back