FD Blades

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kierri

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have just recently managed to buy a scroll saw, after years of researching EVERYTHING, but being unable to buy one. Now. I have one! Yay!

I have painstakingly managed to source regular blades, but have not yet tried out the scroll saw AT ALL. They are various brands & TPI, but only regular toothed. I'm trying to find a few of each type. I sent an email to Mike regarding Flying Dutchman blades, but I never received a reply.

I wondered if he was okay or not?

Many thanks,

Kierri x :)

Hi Kierri A very warm Welcome to the Forum :wink: ,John has replied with a source for the blades,its strange that Mike has not replied to your e-mail.I know that he has posted comments in the past,and may see your post. :roll:

Bryan

Kierri, welcome to the forum.

I purchase all of my blades from Hegner UK, their blades are a competitive price at the gross rate.

Their web address as given in Scrimpers post above.

Take care and enjoy your scroll sawing.

Chris R.

It can take Mike a week or so to reply to e-mails but if you place an order you will get a reply and confirmation almost by return
I guess he gets a lot of e-mails which need answers whereas the ordering process may ne automatic

John

Hi Kierri

If you want to try a couple of Mikes blades pop down and I'll let you have a couple of each.

If you PM me I'll give you my address assuming you can manage the mileage to St Annes :!: :D

Martin

Hi Everyone,

Thank you so much for the warm welcome & all your advice. It was just over a week ago when I wrote to Mike. I just didn't want to place an order if he was busy and it be left floating in air. Thank you Martin for your kind offer, as I wouldn't really know what to order in the first place! Lol I've been doing a lot of research, but it's still confusing. At first I thought my scroll saw only took pinned blades & after further research realised it takes both. So I'm not as restricted as I thought. :)

One question... I was sent regular fretsaw blades by accident. Will these work in the scroll saw? They seem so thin I'm sure they won't.

I will PM you Martin, thank you and thank you all! :)

Kierri x

Do any of you have a selection of different make blades I could try, a couple of each to test the difference. I can cover costs, it just seems better that way than buying big sets of different make makes to try. I have only tried pegas blades so far. Pm me if you can help.

Martin - it won't let me PM you as it says I have to contribute more. Could you please PM please? Thank you so much! X

Stooby":3g9lm1zd said:
Do any of you have a selection of different make blades I could try, a couple of each to test the difference. I can cover costs, it just seems better that way than buying big sets of different make makes to try. I have only tried pegas blades so far. Pm me if you can help.

You don't need to buy blades to try in huge quantities Hobbies sell them in packs of 12 blades, in any case IMHO there are only two types of blade that you need and that is the standard skip tooth blade and the better reverse tooth blade, in fact you could get buy with just a small range of reverse tooth blades in a few sizes for all of your fretwork, say for example sizes no2, no5 and no7, for really fine work perhaps a no 00 (very fine).

As far as makes of blade go they are in my experience much of a muchness and personally I have not found a great deal of difference between the various makes of blade, for many years I have only ever used the Niqua blades from Hobbies (link below) recently I have tried a few other makes and not found them any better or worse than the Niqua blades.

I would not recommend any blades under a Silverline badge as any tooling I have bought under that name has been rubbish quality and I have wasted my money!

The packs of 12 blades from Hobbies are only around £1.45 per pack so you don't need to see your bank manager to buy a few sizes to try. :)

http://www.alwayshobbies.com/tools/hand ... ccessories

Scrimper - I didn't realise the blades you linked to were for scroll saws! I thought they were hand tool only. Oh how I have wasted money for being stupid.... Sigh....

Kierri":30ckbv49 said:
Scrimper - I didn't realise the blades you linked to were for scroll saws! I thought they were hand tool only. Oh how I have wasted money for being stupid.... Sigh....

Sometimes it gets confusing between the term Fretwork/Fretworking and Scrollsaws/Scrollsawing whereas they are exactly the same thing, As far back as the 1890's in Britain this type of work was always referred to as Fretwork whilst in the US they called it Scrollsawing and this term has been used more widely in the UK now as most powered saws for fretwork are called Scrollsaws.

The reason I was confused was due to the blades being under "hand tools" on their website & I was sent some flimsy blades that were labelled as fretsaw/scroll saw blades, but upon receipt were pictured with a hand saw. So I'm not sure if they will go in the machine or not. I'm hoping this weekend will be the weekend I get the saw out of its box... :) but I have two massive rabbit hutches to build first. :(

Thank you Scrimper - have a great weekend.

Kierri x :)

Latest posts

Back