Eradicating brambles

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The brambles are (mainly) growing amongst Rhodedendrons. How do I apply to the leaves without spraying those (I want to keep them)?

Bob, where do you get the second ingredient in your mix, AJB has linked to the first.

Mark

There are some who might consider the rhodies to be a more pernicious weed than the brambles....:)

Brambles. I wish I had brambles.
any tips for bind weed?
now Mr Woody has his plans sorted so only a little thread highjack. :)

W2S, I know what you mean, but the flowers are amazing when they bloom and provide privacy from the neighbours. They will need a heavy prune soon as they grow quickly. Obviously the brambles have their plus side with the fruit but there's so many around hear growing wild I don't need them in the garden (but that probably explains why they're in the garden.?

Mark

Brambles. I wish I had brambles.
any tips for bind weed?
now Mr Woody has his plans sorted so only a little thread highjack. :)
Bindweed - tell me about it.
The good news is that it's the right time of the year to treat it to a dose of Round Up; ie, when they're in flower. The bad news is that you should have spent the last 3 months preparing for the onslaught.
It rather depends on what type of bindweed you are blessed with. The large white flowered varieties are easy because they are fairly shallow rooted. However the small pink flowered ones have very deep roots.
The preparation is to either encourage the bindweed to grow up a cane or just discourage it from growing up your treasured plants so that it ends up in a big cluster on the ground. When it's well in flower pull it off the cane and lay it on the ground. Then give it the RU bodyblow.
We had a huge amount infesting the garden last year and, on this year's showing, it was 99% successful; just half a dozen bits that need another dose.
Brian

not this year, as it all got ripped up so I could get at the fence to replace it, but next year it will be given the treatment.
digging out for posts showed just how big the infestation is.

not this year, as it all got ripped up so I could get at the fence to replace it, but next year it will be given the treatment.
digging out for posts showed just how big the infestation is.

Can you get rid of it from the other side of the fence? If not it might be worth putting in a soil barrier along your fence line or you'll be fighting a losing battle.

Can you get rid of it from the other side of the fence? If not it might be worth putting in a soil barrier along your fence line or you'll be fighting a losing battle.
Anything I do with involve the neighbours doing it too. We get on with them luckily.

Also interested in the answer to Fidgets Q above. And do you then mix it with the glyphosate or squirt the plant with both separately? You'ld never know I've got an a level in chemistry would you.

Also the dilution rate for the glyphosate that AJB linked to anyone?

Mark

Spot rate for glyphosate is 15ml per litre of water (assuming the glyphosate is 360g/l strength)
I can't help on the ammonium sulphamate though.

Back