Enjoyable hand tool watch

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I question the stability of that table. Nice its entirely handmade, but from a design point of view, only one stable leg does make it look like it could tip over.

And I wouldn't recommend sitting on it :LOL:

Notice, no scrub plane and he planes in the direction of the grain.

And uses the cap iron.

Which is keeping it simple and intuitive. A type of simplicity that some on here seem to fight for reasons that are beyond me.

Note the number of brand new planes with V11 steel or some other machination of purchasing competence.

For anyone making furniture, a "Scrub plane" isn't necessary for anything. It's just a role playing thing for people now. There's a whole world of people who think the double iron is esoteric but demand having a scrub plane.

And a bunch of people role playing wanting to talk about riving wood when they're not making chairs or baskets. The kind of work the fellow in the video is doing is what most people want to do, but they want to use play tools to do it. Kind of like your play belief when you were trying to sell people on some idea that sawn wood is always poor quality compared to riven wood.

If playing with things is what people want to do, that's fine. But if you want to make something by hand, it's as simple as shown in the video.

There's a parallel to toolmaking and blacksmithing, too. People want to role play and it misleads the folks who might want to go get some decent quality stock and make something with it.

For anyone making furniture, a "Scrub plane" isn't necessary for anything. It's just a role playing thing for people now. There's a whole world of people who think the double iron is esoteric but demand having a scrub plane.

And a bunch of people role playing wanting to talk about riving wood when they're not making chairs or baskets. The kind of work the fellow in the video is doing is what most people want to do, but they want to use play tools to do it. Kind of like your play belief when you were trying to sell people on some idea that sawn wood is always poor quality compared to riven wood.

If playing with things is what people want to do, that's fine. But if you want to make something by hand, it's as simple as shown in the video.

There's a parallel to toolmaking and blacksmithing, too. People want to role play and it misleads the folks who might want to go get some decent quality stock and make something with it.

You just can't help yourself can you ?

You obviously know nothing about historic joinery, if you think that riven wood is just for baskets and chairs.

And I strongly suspect that you know nothing about commercial milling or timber anatomy judging by some of your previous comments.

You're completely missing the point - of course there is low quality sawn timber. There are a lot of people riving low quality wood and thinking it's dandy just because they split it.

Few people want to actually make things starting from a log, and when they do, they tend to be fascinated with that part and the made goods are coarse.

*many* want to use dried lumber, and perhaps need to understand that they'll have to pay attention to the quality of lumber and use a sawyer or supplier who knows what they're doing, but they'll get wood that you'll never get running around the woods splitting logs, and sometimes you'll need sawn ideally. I could run around the woods all over the place here and split beech and set it aside to dry, but the sawyer that I use for plane lumber goes through enormous amounts of beech and only the best stuff ends up being sold for plane billets. The rest is sold at commodity price.

I wouldn't waste my time making guitars or planes with the wood you show - it's humorous that you always want to start from a "i'm going to school for this, you don't know what you're talking about!" point. It's absurd. Just about as absurd as people gushing over using scrub planes on dried lumber.

Says the guy who brings up riven timber and wet wood when it's got nothing to do with the video. There was a user named Pam in the US forums years ago. Every time someone showed anything, she brought up points that had nothing to do with the topic being discussed - always trying to push everything toward japanese tools. This is kind of like that. Guy in the video works dry wood, you end up talking about something for wet wood and then suggesting other people don't know about the timber industry. Is there a conspiracy in it or something, or is it just a matter of you having little exposure to actually finding good sawn wood? I don't know. It's not really that complicated just like there's no secret in well sawn wood that makes riven wood any better, especially if you're starting with worse stock. Why anyone would work with junk stock by hand is beyond me in the first place - it's a false dilemma.

Yes, so why bring it up if a scrub plane is not necessary for that particular job anyway.
To save some folks from taking a file to the mouth their hand plane, like some gurus would suggest, would be one good reason I could think of.

Tom

One could say he's one of the most minimalist of woodworkers on youtube.

To find this exact scenario, i.e someone working on a piece as wide as the bench,
and not planing cross grain is quite uncommon.
Still looks like a lot of work compared to using reference, and taking heavier cuts,
(keeping same iron projection) rather than trying to find them, as that way blunts an edge fast.

I don't get why folks don't just use a cleat for a stop aswell, rather than grabbing the work between dogs.

Guess its a strict minimalist in keeping with the channel kinda thing, that he is going for though.

Tom

Last edited:
I do like his videos. He has a few on building a timber frame extension to his house which are well worth a watch also.

He *does* a lot. His videos show him doing a lot, and I guess by the comments, it does leave some folks thinking he's doing magic, but it's nice to see guys like him instead of the stumpy numbs types selling one thing after another on paid promotions and commission reference tokens in the details of the video.

I don't know if he ever used metal planes, but it's not a surprise that he does most of the heavier work with wooden planes. It'd be hard to be intellectually honest and demonstrate metal or boutique planes for rough or trying work in an all-hand-work setup. And he does timber work and masonry in other videos. A "real" doer.

Come now children, lets not be fighting, or the mods will place you in different ends of the room.

Admittedly the vid and its presentation does smack of long shorts and sockless deck shoes. I was surprised to see the lack of a long beard, but he has the braces all the same.

Latest posts

Back