Engagement Gift

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monkeybiter

Established Member
Reaction score
A gift for family friend who's getting engaged. A bit of a rush job with limited time in short bursts. Generally happy although I think I've made the foot a little small.
The finish is Microcrystalline Wax with Black Bison on the rings for contrast. They are similar but different to reflect the different personalities of the couple.
DSC_0014.jpg

DSC_0012.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_0014.jpg
    DSC_0014.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 1,002
  • DSC_0012.jpg
    DSC_0012.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 1,002
Mike, interesting to hear the two different finishes. I have black bison but cant find anywhere here that sells microcrystaline wax.
I'm thinking of ordering from the Uk, but am not sure if its worth the hassle. are they very different finishes?

minilathe22 I use a special tool shaped a bit like a hook to reach behind the ring either side to separate it after external shaping and finishing. After separation the inside's sanded by fixing abrasive to the goblet stem with double sided tape then hold/turn the ring with the lathe running. It really is quite easy.
The tool's just a large flat screwdriver, ground to shape with a 4.5" angle grinder disc mounted on the lathe.

Bob, as I understand it [from CHJ's posts] the microcrystalline wax has a relatively high melting point so stands up to handling quite well, and its quite easy to apply/buff as long as you wait the right amount of time between the two. It's the first time I've used the Black Bison, used it to add a bit of colour for contrast.

I dont think I'll bother as I dont have a lathe so cant get it up to buffing speed.

sunnybob":10x41fnh said:
I dont think I'll bother as I dont have a lathe so cant get it up to buffing speed.
You can buff the waxes by hand, just need to apply a bit of elbow grease,

You have a Pillar Drill capable of taking a Cotton Buffing Mop, just make sure your chuck is firmly attached or the table is close enough to stop it dropping out of its taper completely if it loosens.

Very smartly done Mike, clean lines with enough detail to lift it without swamping it in frills.

Thanks Chas, it's just a shame that, in haste to finish, I didn't pay enough attention to the size of the foot. Although in fact the photo's make it look worse than it is, didn't pay enough attention to that either. There's a pattern developing here.

monkeybiter":1q569n0x said:
...... I didn't pay enough attention to the size of the foot. ..

Should you have a major disaster on foot detail you can always cheat and fit a contrast ring.
DSC01427.JPG

Or be extra clever like Derek and put a false foot on that nobody can detect.

file.php

Attachments

• DSC01427.JPG
    DSC01427.JPG
    122.9 KB · Views: 867
I did think about adding an extra bit, there is still a couple of inches left in the chuck after parting off, but time is too short to take any risks on this one. I'll just have to make them something nicer when they get married. Derek's false foot is excellent by the way.

CHJ":1a1o2oha said:
monkeybiter":1a1o2oha said:
...... I didn't pay enough attention to the size of the foot. ..

Should you have a major disaster on foot detail you can always cheat and fit a contrast ring.

Or be extra clever like Derek and put a false foot on that nobody can detect.

file.php

Brilliant tip on the "false foot"! I'd have never thought of that.

Monkeybiter I did forget to comment on the goblet. It looks good and the foot does not look too small, Yes it could have been a little bigger but then these things are sent to try use.

The false foot was a case of necessity as a lack of concentration lead me to a catch which required a new foot but it does not stop anyone from doing it as long as careful selection of the new foot to get a near as you can match. Even then this foot was still a little small for the goblet

Back