Elf n safety

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1steven

Claremorris Ireland
Reaction score
Just bought a pair of safety boots and have been charged VAT.
I thought safety boots/PPE are not charged VAT for your own use?

Well I will be contacting them on Monday and if they don’t drop the Vat I will be returning them. I pay enough tax into this government without them getting a freebie

Having skinny legs I look ridiculous in shorts with work boots so I wear the trainer type safety footwear which has 20% vat on the price, totally unfair to us skinny legged people!

If buying work boots for your employees (not your own use) you should pay 20% vat on them then reclaim it later, I can't ever imagine seeing a builder in Screwfix arguing that he wants to pay an extra 20% on the boots he's buying because they are for his labourer 🤔

Looks like some places automatically charge the vat and you have to opt out of paying it if they are for your own use.

Example here

https://www.rsis.co.uk/safety-footwear-information-i65

Having skinny legs I look ridiculous in shorts with work boots so I wear the trainer type safety footwear which has 20% vat on the price, totally unfair to us skinny legged people!

If buying work boots for your employees (not your own use) you should pay 20% vat on them then reclaim it later, I can't ever imagine seeing a builder in Screwfix arguing that he wants to pay an extra 20% on the boots he's buying because they are for his labourer 🤔

Looks like some places automatically charge the vat and you have to opt out of paying it if they are for your own use.

Example here

https://www.rsis.co.uk/safety-footwear-information-i65
When I opened the account it was as a sole trader, that should have given them a clue. Computer says no.

Agreed, I think trainers get vat added but boots don't. I remember having to pay the difference. Then I bought safety trainers from Lidl and now wouldn't buy from anywhere else. Most comfortable ones I have ever had. And the cheapest so another bonus!

Latest posts

Back