Electric vehicles

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe if no one owned a self driving EV and it was a borrow scheme then with the right system the vehicle would collect people going to the same destination so it was full, drop them off and go and do something else. The people would then do the opposite when they needed to get home.
That may well be the model we need to adopt.

Assuming EVs become self driving, the probability is that car ownership amongst typical urban dwellers will decline. Why own a car (hassle and cost) when a simple app will put one at your front door within (say) 5 minutes.

Cars in a "car pool" may be in use (possibly) 4-12 hours a day, noting that the fluctuations in demand over the 24 hour period makes even close to 100% utilisation implausible.

Cars owned outright currently averagely sit idle for 22-23 hours a day. Simply changing the owner/user model could reduce the national car "fleet" of ~30m by 50-75% over time releasing huge amounts of capital for alternative uses.

Some years back I used to work for a car rental company we used to valet cars after each rental and a lot of the time they were a mess people just don't care I can just see this utopia knee deep in rubbish.i have seen it when people don't own it they just trash it .

Assuming EVs become self driving, the probability is that car ownership amongst typical urban dwellers will decline. Why own a car (hassle and cost) when a simple app will put one at your front door within (say) 5 minutes.
5 Minutes to deliver a car seems optimistic when the Nuffield Trust says:
Category 1 ambulance calls are those that are classified as life-threatening and needing immediate intervention and/or resuscitation, e.g. cardiac or respiratory arrest. The national standard sets out that all ambulance trusts must respond to Category 1 calls in 7 minutes on average, and respond to 90% of Category 1 calls in 15 minutes.
I would be amazed if delivering a shared car could be significantly quicker than an ambulance racing with blue lights & sirens to a life-threatening situation.

Some years back I used to work for a car rental company we used to valet cars after each rental and a lot of the time they were a mess people just don't care I can just see this utopia knee deep in rubbish.i have seen it when people don't own it they just trash it .
I would assume that you would have to have cameras in them to detect vandalism etc. They would then get the cleaning bill just like you would get for a hire car.

I would be amazed if delivering a shared car could be significantly quicker than an ambulance racing with blue lights & sirens to a life-threatening situation.
There aren't that many ambulances. There would be far more shared self driving cars. A vehicle would park when not in use except if it dropped off at an isolated house. Outside of rush hour I would thought that most streets would have a self driving car parked in them.

I would assume that during rush hour most people would prebook their seat in a vehicle so there would be less flexibility. but if a person was running late they would give up their booking and the car would pick up someone who had missed an earlier slot.

I wish all problems were so easy to solve, when you buy fuel often they hold money on your card so you don't run away and not pay so with a vehicle you make it clear that if the vehicle is not left in an acceptable condition then a certain amount of money wll be deducted automatically from your card.

We could adopt the same principle for washing machines & tumble dryers. They sit idle for hours on end, so why not have a central location of washing machines & table dryers open to the general public?

And then what about tools? Woodworking tools for example, that spend hours on end, idle in a workshop. A central location of tools or even somewhere where you could hire tools as and when needed?

Goodness, where could it all end?

I liked the talk of ev charging points....we need more of em...
they can't even organize decent broadband for the nation....
charging points ....pahhhhh...

I'm must be getting old and grumpy which is my right as its a free country and I'm getting old - But what a Utopia it would be if the majority of workers could live within walking distance of employment; less traffic, pollution, time to get to know your workmates, oh just a thought Thats what life used to be like upto the 80s but Financial managers and the Profit Board decided it was cheaper to import coal, globally!! , steel, Russia!! , good from china, textiles, be more European! fishing!! the list goes on - oh ! where are you now Managers of the past - what have you left us with ! travelling miles for work and arguing about Scalextric cars, the people expect heating, electricity, own home, cars apiece, holidays and cruises in the sun, 65" Tvs. -- Thant's just my getting old bit; just don't get me started on my grumpy side. to add China and India have just recorded their highest fossil burning year ever.

Around these parts, there may well be a shortage of ambulances, but the real bottleneck is beds. At Gloucester A&E there are lines of Ambulances queued up with emergency cases on board, because they don't have anywhere to unload them to.

Not that this has anything to do with electric cars as such, but the subject was raised.

Self driving cars can be parked on urban streets or local car parks when not in use. They do not need a driver to get from parking bay to front door - they simply respond to an app request.

Comparison with ambulance - far fewer in number and equipped with flesh and blood drivers - is completely irrelevant.

There is a better comparison with electric scooter trials going on around the country at present. Wave card at scooter, go to destination (or adjacent scooter parking point), bill paid electronically, scooter ready for next user.

Yes, the ambulances issue is mostly, but not exclusively, down to bed capacity.

My dad has been unwell for some time and has had the pleasure of hospital stays on several occasions during the past few years.

Only a couple of weeks ago he was admitted. The ambulance took six hours to arrive (category one) and he was rushed in. I then spent the next four hours sat in the back of that ambulance with him and two paramedics while we waited for a space in A+E. After a four hour period he was transferred to another ambulance as that ambulance was going off shift and needed to return forty miles to the station from which it was despatched (my dad lives seven miles from the hospital - the ambulance came from a different trust area). He spent six hours in the next ambulance. He then spent a further 24 on a trolley in A+E.

When I had to return home I counted the number of ambulances in the hospital car park, fifteen of them! Fifteen ambulances that could have been out supporting emergencies in the vicinity.

I've been back a couple of times to see dad in the past week or so. Seventeen ambulances waiting on one occasion, twenty two on the other.

It's not a lack of ambulances in the system, it's largely down to having enough of them physically driving along the roads and not sitting in hospital car parks.

This isn't a one off - we've experienced this six or seven times (I've lost count) in the past two years.

I understand that this scenario is repeated country wide. Nursing and care homes have closed down or are short staffed making the movement of patients out of hospital into community facilities slower. This means that hospitals are full and patients can only be admitted through the front door when a bed becomes empty.

All of the ambulance services understand the required response times, but there is very little that they can individually do to improve the response. The press and politicians blame them. This seems blatantly unfair as the paramedics are excellent, the despatchers do their best, but the system is in crisis. How we will address this sorry situation, goodness knows.

But I digress, sorry.

As for EV's, yes, one day I will take the plunge. ATM my journeys tend to be longer and less frequent. My car is three years old and has done just 25,000 miles or so. I can't justify changing it. I've embraced the effortless torque that my three litre diesel has - most probably an EV will be an easy transition, in that regard, when the time comes.

Yes it's OK on 13A plug, just very slow and is a big draw over a long time from thin cabling to use it as a permanent solution. You use the 13A plug adapter when you visit friends overnight etc. or when you first get your EV/PHEV if the charger is not installed first.
With the rising costs of electricity, they will not stay friends for long. 😱 How many of you visit friends and stay overnight?

With the rising costs of electricity, they will not stay friends for long. 😱 How many of you visit friends and stay overnight?
Especially if you burn their house down!

Seriously, I wouldn’t plug my EV charger Into any random 3 pin socket without having had it professionally checked as safe. You are plugging the equivalent of a 2kw+ heater into the socket at full blast for potentially a number of hours. And don’t use an extension lead that hadn’t been checked either. Just be on the safe side.

As for the price, as long as the socket was safe I would absolutely insist on paying, no question.

What are EV`s like for towing? I have a folding camper many others drag sheds (caravans) boats, trailers and the like on a daily basis, especially in holiday season, how will EV`s affect the holiday business I wonder.

Back