Einhell or Titan?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kev.k

Established Member
Reaction score
Which is the better brand?

I remember seeing a Titan mitre saw years ago and it was almost like a toy.

I need a breaker that will be used once a rarely after.

Not worth buying a decent one.

Thanks

No much difference in cost between hiring and buying a cheap one.

Thinking it’s handy to have.

I do hope you consider all things like how close to the blade one is, on most of those,
Your comments hint at disliking the machine, and a sorta consumable attitude
regarding it, perhaps a recent thread might have highlighted that.
That doesn't help matters in regards to having a machine which can be made as safe as it can
be, i.e infeed, outfeed, adjustable "short" fence for ripping, what's decent in the first place,
flat table, plus insert the same deal, no flex, decently planned placement of said machine,
with it decently affixed to the ground, i.e not just standard swiveling casters locked down,
decent riving knife which can hold firm a crown guard, not just pretend,
and probably lots more if I were to have a hands on look at one in person.

Those portable machines with screaming "universal" but yet possibly unobtainable motors,
can be dicey!
Result of screws or whatever coming loose IIRC, the machine tipped due to the heft of the stock,
and the hand stopped it from tipping, with a very unpleasant outcome.

So even if you dislike the machine, it's still worth getting something which you won't resent
making as safe as you can make it,
as the likelyhood of making something with an induction motor as safe as can be is far greater IMO.

Below video might be worth a watch, if it's still there.
Not a tablesaw, but same rules apply as far as I'm concerned.

If not liking that, then just get a 20" bandsaw instead, and figure another way to achieve the same thing, otherwise you might just start to use that wee nibbler a whole lot more than you planned for.

Screenshot-2021-4-20 MY PLANER ACCIDENT - YouTube.png

Good luck!
Tom

I do hope you consider all things like how close to the blade one is, on most of those,
Your comments hint at disliking the machine, and a sorta consumable attitude
regarding it, perhaps a recent thread might have highlighted that.
That doesn't help matters in regards to having a machine which can be made as safe as it can
be, i.e infeed, outfeed, adjustable "short" fence for ripping, what's decent in the first place,
flat table, plus insert the same deal, no flex, decently planned placement of said machine,
with it decently affixed to the ground, i.e not just standard swiveling casters locked down,
decent riving knife which can hold firm a crown guard, not just pretend,
and probably lots more if I were to have a hands on look at one in person.

Those portable machines with screaming "universal" but yet possibly unobtainable motors,
can be dicey!
Result of screws or whatever coming loose IIRC, the machine tipped due to the heft of the stock,
and the hand stopped it from tipping, with a very unpleasant outcome.

So even if you dislike the machine, it's still worth getting something which you won't resent
making as safe as you can make it,
as the likelyhood of making something with an induction motor as safe as can be is far greater IMO.

Below video might be worth a watch, if it's still there.
Not a tablesaw, but same rules apply as far as I'm concerned.

If not liking that, then just get a 20" bandsaw instead, and figure another way to achieve the same thing, otherwise you might just start to use that wee nibbler a whole lot more than you planned for.

View attachment 172179
Good luck!
Tom

Doesn't he want a breaker?

I agree with previous comment, just hire one for one job

Mark

Doesn't he want a breaker?

I agree with previous comment, just hire one for one job

Mark

A break from woodworking? I think not.

Can you hire something decent, I would have thought the logistics involved would make that unfeesable.

He needs a breaker, not a saw. Two ways of looking at it - you can buy a cheap one for the cost of hiring one, so it makes sense to do that. But, on the other hand you need somewhere to store it for however long until you next need it.
(incidentally, my daughter's partner is a builder, they use a cheap iirc Macallister. This was bought after they had a lot of good kit stolen in a short time and decided to buy cheap just to get jobs done. He says it's better than the Bosch they had before, and their kit has a hard life., and if it packed up tomorrow they'd buy another.)

Which is the better brand?

I remember seeing a Titan mitre saw years ago and it was almost like a toy.

Thanks
I have a titan one which doubles up as a SDS max still been fine tbh.

A break from woodworking? I think not.

Can you hire something decent, I would have thought the logistics involved would make that unfeesable.
I don't understand what you think he wants, surely he's after a concrete breaker??? Easily transported, even the T bar type.

Mark

Do Einhell even make a concrete breaker ?
It is a brand that is pitched to sell through european supermarkets and diy stores. Squarely aimed at the diy market. Looks better thought out than some but a breaker isn't such a common DIY tool.
Titan is essentially a screwfix own brand. Pretty crude but cheap and they do make a breaker.

I have an old Titan breaker, similar to the one listed now as an SDS drill with accessory kit for £90, I think I paid £70 years ago. Its rarely used but did what I needed which was smash some old cement fence post sockets, and I used it later for a bit of patio adjustment and other odd jobs. For the money it was excellent value, a bit slower than a proper big one but it worked. The chisels aren't that good, if I was doing more I might buy a better one, and I have never used most of the attachments like the core bit. Drilling through a brick wall was a breeze.

So why not hire? I agree that yiu can get better kit, but for me its a 45 minute roeund trip to the nearest hire place and I didn;t have the expereince to work out how long the job woudl take. By owning one I could do few sockets, grumble at the weather, feel tired, come back to it another day. With hire kit you just plough on until and after dark, at 70+ I'm not really up for that any more.

I don't know about the one they list as a breaker, but the one they list as an SDS Plus worked fine.

It depends what you want to do with it. If it's something small, like a few plug boxes, any of the budget breakers will do. However, one of these will also do this, plus a lot more. I have one and it's very good. It's not just a rotary drill, it's also SDS hammer, so can use chisels too.
For what it's worth, the large Titan breaker is very tiring to use - no shock absorption at all.
This Bosch is seriously good value at £70 posted.

https://www.buyaparcel.com/bosch-gb...wh3k3M-stqPQBcx1AeXLWsgQy5pT3SCRoCtrUQAvD_BwE

I bought the Einhall breaker for around £100 a few years back when my Titan SDS drill was taking too long to break out the old concrete blocks during a fence replacement project. It is a pretty heavy beast but has smashed its way through everything I have wanted it to.
It leaks oil so I have to put something like newspaper or cardboard down to rest it on and store the box flat but otherwise it has paid for itself several times over.

https://www.einhell.co.uk/p/4139087-tc-dh-43/

Last edited:
We use the titan breaker at work, it gets abused and hasn't broken despite it's tough life.

I bought the titan sds max and used it to smash out concrete and some block work in my fireplace. Was cheap and cheerful, it’s comedy large and bulky, and seemed to do the task fairly easily. Bonus is I still have it for the rare times I need it. It came with loads of masonry and chisel bits too.
Would recommend.

The hammer action on my Titan has packed in, obviously just when I needed it.

And don't forget Lidl and Aldi often do those type of drills. Lidl have a three year guarantee as well

Back