Ebay URGENT advice needed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bad Luck Tony, :(
I know how you feel, but generally another one
comes along. :D

TX ,who put so much into the pirate day,ONE WEEK EARLY :oops:

jaymar":txtpqh14 said:
I don't think it is possible to retract a bid. I once bid on an item then bought a better one.My maximum bid was £100 and I tried all ways to retract without success.Luckily someone bid higher so I wasn't left wit two dust extractors

I know I've retracted a bid before now. It's not easy or straightforward, it never is where ebay is concerned. But it's buried somewhere in the hideous page links they have if I remember rightly.

As for losing the bid, a sniper might have got the item if the top whack bid had been set to £550. Then again it might not have if someone else had set that maximum. But declaring an intent of £500 ahead of time set a precedent for someone else to have a go at I expect. I know when I see prior bids on an item it gives me a yardstick to aim for.

Andrew

I think you have to either accept that you A) put your maximum bid in to start with, or B)start using an auto-bidder yourself.

It's no good being frustrated with ebay unfortunately, as you were hoping to win at a bid price which wasn't your absolute maximum. Had it got for £560, you could confidently say that was over your limit, as it was, someone won with a £510 bid on your at-the-time max bid of £500.

It took a long time for me to come around to this slightly more relaxed view, I lost about 5 auctions on the trot to autobidders, and got very frustrated, but in the end, decided I'd just bid my absolute upper limit and see how it went. Over time, I calmed down, ebay seem happy to turn a blind eye to auto-bidding so you just have to work within the system...

Adam

I dont really see how the sniper programs help - if you bid your real top limit then the eBay auto bid will ensure your bid is incremented by the minimum amount to beat any rival bid until your limit is reached.

Like Adam, I am more relaxed about it, place my real top bid, and then forget about it until its over :D

John

Adam, John

Good advice. I would have happily spent £600 and tried to raise my bid a little too late. The scope sat at £330 until the last few minutes and I thought £500 would get it.

I tried ebay once fora specific item that I wanted, didn't like it and won't bother again. This type of bidding is not for me and you could easily spend more than you intended.

One of my pet hates is not knowing the exact price. When in a shop, if the price is not displayed on the goods or shelf (inviting you to ask the sales person!) I don't buy the item and walk out

Tony":1b62b21v said:
Adam, John

Good advice. I would have happily spent £600 and tried to raise my bid a little too late. The scope sat at £330 until the last few minutes and I thought £500 would get it.

I tried ebay once fora specific item that I wanted, didn't like it and won't bother again. This type of bidding is not for me and you could easily spend more than you intended.

One of my pet hates is not knowing the exact price. When in a shop, if the price is not displayed on the goods or shelf (inviting you to ask the sales person!) I don't buy the item and walk out

You sound like you should be bidding maximum amounts, and then not looking at the auction until after it finishes. That way, you don't get the stress!

Adam

woodshavings":5vi4u5gm said:
I dont really see how the sniper programs help - if you bid your real top limit then the eBay auto bid will ensure your bid is incremented by the minimum amount to beat any rival bid until your limit is reached
With a sniper you aren't telling others that you are interested in the goods ahead of time. They might think they are gonna win it with their sniper program.

Each to his own etc, but I've found my sniper is good at winning me bids.

Only thing is that the sniper runs as a program on your PC, and if your PC is switched off when the auction ends it can't place a bid. I leave my PC's on 24x7 so it's not a problem.

Andrew

Thanks Andrew - I understand your reasoning if you don't wish your interest to be seen by others. As you say, each to his own ! 8)
I found little logic to the behaviour of some bidders - many way over the purchase price new! Nevertheless manged to pick up a REcord Combination plane for about £22 the other month, well pleased :)
Cheers,
John

I agree with Adam,
except that i don't bid my maximum, i just bid what i'd like to pay,
wait for the email and que sera,sera. I win about 40% of what i bid
for and it's nice and relaxed. As i've said before another one generally
comes up anyway :D

TX

As a final note to this sorry story, I have, as I said earlier, turned my back on ebay. I like to know the price! Engineers and their love of precision eh?

I have found a dealer with an equivalent, re-conditioned ex-demo telescope of much higher quality and from a more highly esteemed manufacturer than the one I bidded for, and have now ordered it. I know the price up front and although it is a little higher than I had hoped, I sold a laptop computer last night which sorted that very nicely :)

Arrives tomorrow :wink:

Thanks for all the help, much appreciated

Tony":l3h1yfly said:
As a final note to this sorry story, I have, as I said earlier, turned my back on ebay. I like to know the price! Engineers and their love of precision eh?

I have found a dealer with an equivalent, re-conditioned ex-demo telescope of much higher quality and from a more highly esteemed manufacturer than the one I bidded for, and have now ordered it. I know the price up front and although it is a little higher than I had hoped, I sold a laptop computer last night which sorted that very nicely :)

Arrives tomorrow :wink:

Thanks for all the help, much appreciated

I have to say, the bids I lot out on repeatedly were for bullnose planes, i always bidded to £45, then having lost a few, decided I'd bid £48 from then on..., and still repeatadly lost by a few pennies. In the end, Ray Iles had one for £50. Always worth having a check around, 'cos on anything that is sold by dealers S/H, the price often reaches a similar point.

Does anyone else play "Fantasy Ebay"...?
What you do is look at the newly listed tools that no-one has yet bid on, select those tools that you'd dearly love to own - like the Norris smoother, the bright shiny pair of Disston saws, the complkete Record multiplane shining and oiled in its orginal box, the Record compass plane etc etc... then you place a bid - £5 or £10 - you get that lovely e-mail back saying you are the highest bidder, then you fantasize that no-one else will see the item and in 7 days or so you'll get an e-mail confirming you are the wiinner.
Well, that bits a fantasy too as it doesnt (or hasnt yet) happened, but its good fun doing it!.
Regards, MMD.

No MMD,
but i do play fantasy woodworker, ie i go in my workshop,
look at the tools and fantasize that in a couple of hours i'll
have made a stunning piece of furniture :(

TX

txman":bplr9hu7 said:
have made a stunning piece of furniture

:lol: :lol: Nice one txman. :lol: :lol:

tx2man":29p21lkm said:
have made a stunning piece of furniture :(
Excellent one :lol:

Would you believe it.

After passing on the wisdom of my Ebay experiences, I looks like I have become the victim of an Ebay fraud. :(

Won an item last week (£55) from a trader with 100+ good feedback and paid immediately using Paypal electronic payment. Still no goods today so had another look at the auction and discovered that the trader is no longer a registered user, all their auctions have finished early and they suddenly have a string of negative feedbacks from people who have not had their goods delivered.

One poor bloke has paid £499 for a dewalt saw he's now not going to receive.

Is the contract with Ebay or the vendor? Can you let us know who it is?

Rgds

Noel

Thats bad but if the seller had a 100 + good feedback, then you should be covered by the PayPal Buyer protection. I think this is upto a £250 transaction.
Please keep us updated on how you get on
Cheers
John

Isn't it to protect you in that exact situation that Paypal should be used?

Adam

It does look like I can file a claim with paypal and get most if not all my money refunded. I will let the forum know what happens.

Looking at their recent feedback, they have failed to deliver on about £1500 of items. Of course there may be many more because you can't leave feedback after the user has de-registered.

Jeff

Back