Duloxetine ... any takers?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil Pascoe

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone take this horrible drug? I've been put on it (as well as morphine and codeine) as I think my consultant was concerned about my morphine intake and my increasing resistance to it. He, my friend (a GP) and my pharmacist tell me that it takes several weeks to work properly and that the side effects wear off after the first few weeks. I read the instructions and it rather amused me that for what is basically used as an anti depressant that I should speak to my doctor if I have any thoughts of killing myself. :? I haven't yet got that bad, but it doesn't half make me feel lousy - I can't sleep properly and can't stay awake for more than two hours at a time. When I'm awake I can't concentrate on anything and just want to go back to bed. Any there any long term users to give me hope? :D

Not tried that one, but I moved onto Sertraline last year (as an anti-depressant) Despite feeling much much much worse for two months I eventually settled into it. I really was very close to giving it up as I felt like hell.

Sertraline is a bit different to Duloxetine as I think Duloxetine works on norepinephrine (what the heck's that?) as well as Serotonin.

My partner is currently on Duloxotine , it was prescribed to her as a nerve block . She suffered an injury to her shoulder and thn had reconstructive surgery . Since then she has suffered pain and nerve damage trouble . She takes 60mg daily and to be honest is not very effective . she too suffers with similar side effects such as malaise etc and struggles to get physicaly motivated and spends much time in bed . She has been taking it for nearly two years now . Some of her other side affects are that she has really bad nightmares and does not feel fully rested after 12 hours sleep .

THe real problem lies in the withdrawel of it . She hopes to come of it but from a dose of 60mg it can take several months to fully stop taking it and the side effects can be quite bad . The doses available are very limited , ie 30mg and 60mg so a steady step down is hard and because they are capsule type it is nion impossible to reduce doses manualy , ie cutting in half , unless you open the capsule and physicaly remove x amount of the balls inside .

As a side note , I take Paraxotine for anxiety , it is part of the same family of drugs and yes both are anti-depressants . I am on the prior as you may know acts as a nerve block which is part of the anxiety rush . I suffer a different set of side affects as everyone will suffer different reactions out of the long list . I was moved to duloxatine for several months but then changed back when it was found not to be as affective for anxiety .

One thing I do notice is that if I forget to take my paroxatine and my partner finds the same with her duloxotine is that if you forget to take it for a day or two ( due to the daily grind ) as I take mine in the morning and she takes hers as night , is that you will feel light headed , and your eyes are not in sync with head movement , a bit like being slightly drunk !

My sympathies are with you on the side affects but what ever you do , do NOT just stop taking them , the side affects can be very brutal .

And as for the question of "thoughts of harming yourself" , that is really more aimed at people with mental health issues or depression for which they are prescribed to help with , but as a side note , some medication can contribute to irrational thoughts , PRo-Zac was one that had bad press in the 90's and early 00's due to the suicide rate of young teens prescribed it .

Kind regards Sam

Thanks everyone. I'm not filled with confidence atm as I was started on 60mg, which seems to be the dose that causes the problems. I have diabetic neuropathic pain from ulcers and amputations rather than mental health issues, but if I feel like this for months on end I'll acquire some.

Well I'm definitely not a doctor but I wondered what duluxetie was so I looked it up. It seems its a serotonin selective reuptake inhibitor.
What I do know about serotonin is that you have more of it when its sunny, which is why some folk are more sad during the winter months.
As it happens I use a 'daylight lamp' when I'm using my lathe .. I put it on the other side of the lathe from me just behind the tailstock so it lights everything up. It turns out that my lamp is a medical grade product that makes you happy but telling the brain its sunny and making it release more serotonin. And there was me thinking I was just happy as I was messing around with wood.

Anyway, my point is that it might be worth asking your doc if its ok to try a medical grade daylight lamp instead of taking meds (the lamps are like £30). Obviously I have no idea what dose of meds a daylight lamp is equivalent to or whether it would interact with any meds you take so its a question for doctors really.

Either way...sorry to hear thingsarent so great for you at the moment & hope things get better

cheers
Keith

Phil

Anti-depressants have been shown to work managing chronic pain. Its not uncommon for drugs to have different uses - it looks to me to come from pharmco having a drug and when they do the clinical trials they also get 'improvements' in other unexpected areas reported - look at the 'wonder' drug asprin. Of course, new areas of treatment from an existing drug is very good business.

Have a look at http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Antidepres ... d-for.aspx and scroll down to Long term pain.

If you are not happy see the GP - you need to be happy with the treatment

Brian

Brian - yes, I'm aware that drugs have different uses, my point there being that I can understand how a daylight lamp could help depression, but not not really how it could affect pain, though the drug usage is common to both.
Yesterday and last night were the first day I didn't sleep at all and the first night I did, so things are looking up. The first couple of weeks were dreadful, though.

Phil

Glad things are looking up.

I was reading something totally unrelated to this thread and it mentioned Drugs.com website. So looking to test the website I used Duloxetine aka Cymbalta. I wouldn't worry that you don't understand how it works it seems nobody knows does either https://www.drugs.com/cymbalta.html 3rd line ' The way duloxetine works is still not fully understood '

Brian

Back off them, thankfully. It's great to be feeling something like normal again. All that and they actually achieved absolutely nothing. They've put me on iodine dressings for the big ulcer ... jeez, are they painful. I eventually got some sleep last night after three decent pints, six codeine and four morphine over the late evening. One of the codeine knocks swmbo out so quickly you'd think she'd been shot. 8-[

Latest posts

Back