Dry lubricant for forstner / router bits

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodworkingMK

Established Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine reported that he used dry lubricant on forstner bit with great success. He had to bore many holes in a hard oak, and said that if it wasn't the lubricant, the bit would surely burn. The lubricant helped to make the holes with much ease.

Do any of you use dry lubricant on similar applications? Please share your experience if so.

I'm curious, but how does the lubricant stay in the hole to work? I understand, clean / sharp is best option but in reality that not always possible unless you are versed in how to sharpen a forstner bit.

He says, it helps to lower the friction, thus the bit heats up less. The lubricant used is dry lube PTFE spray.

Sharp, clean bits run at the correct speed will not need lubricant. Forstner and sawtooth bits are not designed to run at high speed.

edcruwys":30befpiv said:
Sharp, clean bits run at the correct speed will not need lubricant. Forstner and sawtooth bits are not designed to run at high speed.
Whilst that may be correct for nice dry hard wood, that's not necessarily the case for soft wood :)

woodworkingMK":3v6edgb2 said:
He says, it helps to lower the friction, thus the bit heats up less. The lubricant used is dry lube PTFE spray.

Would have thought any stray PTFE is going to play havoc with any subsequent finish.

That is true but as the temperature for the release of Hydrofluoric acid is 300C it seems unlikely that that temperature will be reached if use sharp tools in wood.

Back