Draper 200mm Cast Iron Table saw £200 ?!?!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My workshop is already packed full, but it was too good a deal to pass up and I have always wanted a table saw.

Looks like they are indeed coming straight from Draper, TNT tracking shows collection in Southampton

Hmm,

I nearly half wish I hadn't seen this post as I was just about to buy the Dewalt 745!

Could I ask what the difference is, apart from the size, as I only have a small garage workshop so it's the only thing putting me off the Draper slightly, however as many have said, for the price.........

Can I ask what the pros and cons are opposed to the Dewalt?

Good machine?

Regards
Phil

ScaredyCat":hiak3esu said:
Just spotted this, seems to include the wings and sliding table too!

https://www.thetoolwarehouse.co.uk/product.php/sn/82385DRAPER 200mm

Thought it might insterest someone. I have no idea about the quality of it though (of either the seller or the saw) - looks like the axminster to me...

Looks to be the same saw coming off probably the same Asian source as the Axy TS200 (pre it's MK2 changes).

If you aren't bothered about the increased table depth, the fence and Axy's after sales support, there is no reason not to buy it.

You could even add Charnwood's upgrade fence and still come out ahead - The draper one doesn't look great.

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

phil p":x2pg4tmx said:
Hmm,

I nearly half wish I hadn't seen this post as I was just about to buy the Dewalt 745!

Could I ask what the difference is, apart from the size, as I only have a small garage workshop so it's the only thing putting me off the Draper slightly, however as many have said, for the price.........

Can I ask what the pros and cons are opposed to the Dewalt?

Good machine?

Regards
Phil

The only reason I didn't buy one of these is that I have no garage to store it in and I don't think it'd be an easy job to get in and out of the house to store it each time I wanted to use it. I have the Dewalt simply because I can pick it up and carry it (although I really just made a cart that fits through doorways for it so I don't have to lug it) but I would have one of these in a heartbeat over the dewalt if I had space.

1) Dewalt is very, very noisy.
2) It's a site saw, not especially accurate
3) Fence is very good, snugs accurately

If the Draper is the Axminster one under a different name then it's an induction motor so much quieter than the Dewalt. Wide cast iron fence to the right is a really nice thing, as is the sliding table. This is what the Americans call a hybrid table. You could easily build storage, for other tools etc, to go underneath the right side wing if space is at a premium. Also you could get a set of those equipment wheels Axminster do so that you can raise the saw up on them, move it, lower it, use it and then do the reverse to slide it out of the way when not needed.

Well mine isn't great, it's missing a vast majority of the parts. No guards, no fixings, no dust extraction, no fence.

Well mine arrived this morning after me not being in yesterday
Just one driver with no tail lift he was very grateful for a lift off with the boxes
[attachment=2]BADF5A2A-03B5-45A2-9658-4FAE6F663B7D.jpeg[/attachment]
A slight surprise was the dead far eastern mouse in one box crushed when the guide rails were inserted
[attachment=1]C1B818C5-3C03-41CC-9005-BB9AE65C9B75.jpeg[/attachment]

The overall construction is very good nothing missing at all and very quiet when running everything moves freely and locks solidly.
The cast iron top is flat and everything to be adjustable for squareness
If I had put this together thinking it was £700 I would think it was good value at £200 I’ve stole it.
[attachment=0]53E6FF61-BAA5-4F96-B4C8-1892B14A0C6E.jpeg[/attachment]

Ian

Attachments

• BADF5A2A-03B5-45A2-9658-4FAE6F663B7D.jpeg
    BADF5A2A-03B5-45A2-9658-4FAE6F663B7D.jpeg
    226.4 KB · Views: 110
  • C1B818C5-3C03-41CC-9005-BB9AE65C9B75.jpeg
    C1B818C5-3C03-41CC-9005-BB9AE65C9B75.jpeg
    171.8 KB · Views: 121
  • 53E6FF61-BAA5-4F96-B4C8-1892B14A0C6E.jpeg
    53E6FF61-BAA5-4F96-B4C8-1892B14A0C6E.jpeg
    226.5 KB · Views: 121
As I said it’s as quiet as a saw blade running in air can ever be
There’s no noise from the motor and belt drive other than a thrum
It’s an induction motor

Rorschach":3fwzn5e9 said:
Well mine isn't great, it's missing a vast majority of the parts. No guards, no fixings, no dust extraction, no fence.

FYI mine came in three packages, each with stickers saying 'package X of 3' on them. The 2nd and 3rd packages were the extension and fence.

Does your package have one of these stickers on it? Sounds like TNT messed up.

My parts must be missing from the main package then, I got 3 boxes total, but the box with the saw literally just contained the basic saw, no extra parts like guards, mitre guage, hose etc.

Ah I see, there are some parts in the body. I still don't think I have everything though as my pallet was damaged and everything arrived fairly loose. I guess I'll find out when it's all assembled.

No room in the workshop so for now mine is going to be an outdoor table saw! :lol:

I waited and waited for TNT and decided to have a quick shower, and you guessed it..........

They're trying delivery again tomorrow #-o

Well, shelved the Dewalt 745 and went for this!

Now that others have confirmed delivery, and also the quality for the price I couldn't resist it, especially when the set up could cost around or over the £500+ mark.

Just hope I don't live to regret it, especially with it's size, and hope you can take the side table off etc to reduce it's footprint.

Regards
Phil

Phil
The saw by itself is quite small and compact
Add the sliding table and that adds a lot of weight and perhaps 500mm on the LHS
The side tables you can leave off on the RHS but you then have to cut the fence bars short or they are sticking out 600mm
If its just for storage purposes then the side tables complete with bars can be removed in short time and replaced when you need to operate it
Slightly longer to remove the sliding table side

Ian

As above, the basic saw seems pretty compact, no bigger than site saws I have seen really. I have not fitted the sliding table or extensions yet so not sure on total size, looks big though. Mine is going to have to live in the garden until I either make a serious change in the workshop (unlikely) or buy myself an extra garage to store things in. Given it sits on a nice tall stand I am hoping it will not suffer too much in the elements.

Back