Dragon Bandsaw blades

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Byron

ByronBlack":1ftn687w said:
I'm sorry if i've upset people, but I don't feel the need to apologise for my post. I did think it was a snide remark as there was no justification/reasoning behind the statement - it was said rather matter of factly, but to be fair, it is difficult to always read the intentions of the written word so i'll give the benefit of the doubt.

I'm sorry, but I didn't think that I needed to write great screeds when pointing out the obvious.

As I said earlier, "The only point I was making was that Dragon were not being philanthropic". I have no problem with them as a company. Indeed, if I was them I would be proud of how successfully my marketing was working.

Cheers,
Neil

Newbie_Neil":21ze4949 said:
Byron

ByronBlack":21ze4949 said:
I'm sorry if i've upset people, but I don't feel the need to apologise for my post. I did think it was a snide remark as there was no justification/reasoning behind the statement - it was said rather matter of factly, but to be fair, it is difficult to always read the intentions of the written word so i'll give the benefit of the doubt.

I'm sorry, but I didn't think that I needed to write great screeds when pointing out the obvious.

As I said earlier, "The only point I was making was that Dragon were not being philanthropic". I have no problem with them as a company. Indeed, if I was them I would be proud of how successfully my marketing was working.

Cheers,
Neil

No need to apologise Neil, I bow to your superior reasoning on this one, your right, i'm wrong, i'll now have no input in this thread.

Have to say I bought dragon blades off them a year and a half ago and they didn't want me to pay till I got the blades. I certainly did not feel it was marketing hype. Cheap it may be, but how many other companies are prepared to do that. I think its a little cynical to say its just good marketing, Some companies really do want want to build a customer base and provide good service.
Its like free postage, its nice when you get it.
Owen

When I was in business I had a budget of around 16% to cover advertising, the motor trade is much higher than this figure so if a company can get away without advertising costs it should be able to offer lower prices and better service.
Think how much cheaper a motor car would be if they did not spend 25% on advertising or whatever their figure is.

I'd like to compliment Dragon (satisfied customer only) who, in comparison to other companies were extremely helpful regarding blade choice, prepared to send out blades for trial, and only charge me for the one that did the job. Marketing? Must be a yes, as a result I now buy all my blades form them. I wish a lot of others shared their marketing philosophy!

How do I contact Dragon? Sounds like we should be testing their blades.

Thanks

Nick

Sorry. I noticed that later and have all the info. Which of their blades are best to try out? What's so special about them?

Nick

Dragon do traditional bandsaw blades as well, but I have been using a 1/2" 3 skip tooth blade lately but it is .032 thick (instead of the 015 and 025's ) and it doesn't stand any nonsense from the timber being cut. You have to have strong fingers to load up the blade tho. :)

Without wanting to cause offence, blow this topic out of proportion or be accused of turning this post into some brilliant marketing campaign can I put my point across with some explanations?
Please accept my apologies in advance if this rambles on or seems to be a cheap effort at advertising, only I feel that I should have the opportunity to explain and justify some of the points raised.

OPJ and Tony are existing, repeat customers and the gesture made to them wasn’t purely done as ‘marketing’ - both have already praised our service and blades before receiving the free blade or offers of!
It was a genuine gesture to existing customers that will hopefully then continue to be repeat customers and as any business knows a happy customer will hopefully recommend your services and can help increase business and equally so an unhappy customer can have a detrimental effect on business – thankfully most people that use us are happy.

I didn’t actually know that OPJ was a forum member at the time.

I have learnt a fantastic amount from people on this forum and I’m very grateful for the repeat business that we get but I don’t just do this for members of this forum – most the time when an enquiry is made then I have no idea if the person is a member of the forum or not. I like to think that we treat all of our customers the same whether they are a member of a forum or not.

If any blade breaks on the weld then we offer to re-weld the blade free of charge and if a customer is not happy with a blade for any reason then we offer to replace it or give a refund – again this is not some marketing ploy it’s about being fair, making sure that your customers are happy and hopefully offering a service that others don’t and it’s certainly not a ‘cheap’ marketing ploy – it’s about building up a happy customer base to ensure that we remain in business and are able to offer a service that I would want to use if I was a customer.

OPJ had problems tensioning a wide blade on his machine and wanted to know if the blade was slightly shorter would it help with the tension.
I could have sold him another blade slightly shorter but offered to cut and re-weld his existing blade free of charge - it's called customer care and trying to be helpful. Later on OPJ wasn't sure what blade would be best for some cutting that he was doing so I offered to send him a few different blades to try and the ones that were no good he was going to return and any that worked would have been paid for - again it's not wanting to sell a blade just for the sake of a sale but trying to make sure that an existing customer is buying a blade that they are happy with and is suitable for the cutting that they are doing. And as mentioned - I didn't know that OPJ was a forum member at the time.

Tony is actually doing me a great favour. M42 blades are not new but the tooth shape and style that Tony is using is new in M42 and the feedback from Tony (and others who have had the same blade) is worth more than the cost of a blade - this blade is imported from America so we need to know if the blade is any good before importing more. And yes if Tony is pleased with the blade then hopefully he will recommend the blade and us so I guess it is a form of marketing but this wasn’t the intention when the blade was sent to Tony – again Tony is an existing customer and is doing me a favour by using the blade and giving me invaluable feedback on the performance of the blade.
This blade went out free to a number of people for feedback and only one was a member of this forum – if this was a deliberate attempt at marketing through the forum then I would have sent it to more than 1 forum member.

I’m sorry if it’s thought that the gestures that we make are purely for marketing but this is not the case, we do genuinely want to offer a service that stands out from others. This alone will not make us a success – the product and price is just as if not more important than any marketing.

I wish that I was as good at marketing as Neil has suggested as then maybe I could follow Gill's advice and apply for a job with Coca Cola – I quite fancy being a CEO :D

Ian

Nick Gibbs":3928jftk said:
Which of their blades are best to try out? What's so special about them?

I bought a special ripping blade from them, it is a 1" blade with 1.3TPI. You need a medium or large bandsaw to benefit from it, but for fast ripping, small scale planking, etc., I find it excellent. On my Jet saw it is rather fiddly to fit but that's more about the design of the saw than the characteristics of the blade.

It's the only blade of its type that I have tried, but when it dulls I'll not hesitate to replace it with another of the same.

Perhaps some forum members can recall that after I did a review of the blades I received I offered the M42 blade to any member on request.

devonwoody":3a1fw3hl said:
Perhaps some forum members can recall that after I did a review of the blades I received I offered the M42 blade to any member on request.

I certainly can DW and although I didn't buy any M42's at the time, I was converted to Dragon. I have only ordered from Dragon once, I rang them to place an order for three blades of varying width and was told over the phone "if you order one more you get another free" now how many firms would tell you that? indeed how many firms even care ? Of those five blades all are still going but one is a little dull probably because I used it to cut a sheet of copper with :lol:

I have never used "Dragon",but after reading this thread i would'nt hesitate in doing so, (that's if they do a 62" blade length.) or recommending them to others. :wink:

Hi,

have only bought one blade from Dragon which was for something outside of my experience - cutting 16swg steel fittings. I had assistance out of proportion to the cost and the blade works as promised.

I'll certainly be back for more.

Colin

Hi all
Just an update.
After using the M42 today I can say that I am very happy with it.
This is 3/4 x3tpi and it was ripping 200 m/m wide Oak into 2 m/m thick pieces perfecly. 120 m/m Beech and Mahogany perfectly parrallel. The finish was ready for sanding and I wouldn't think it could be improved upon. Only time will tell as far as its life span is concerned but as I say I am very happy with it at the moment and would reccommend it to anyone.

Hi all,

I've just received an email from Ian at Dragon and he tells me that the M42 blade is made from a harder material than other blades.

I'm just wondering if it is more awkward to fit with it being harder material. Also, is it any more difficult to tension than a normal blade?

I've got an Axminster SWB3501B and have only ever used the two blades that came with it.

Any advice would be appreciated

regards

Brian

brianhabby":2cpjv7cn said:
Hi all,

I've just received an email from Ian at Dragon and he tells me that the M42 blade is made from a harder material than other blades.

I'm just wondering if it is more awkward to fit with it being harder material. Also, is it any more difficult to tension than a normal blade?

I've got an Axminster SWB3501B and have only ever used the two blades that came with it.

Any advice would be appreciated

regards

Brian

Hi Brain

I noticed no difference at all in tensioning or fitting the M42 blade - considerable improvement in use though

Back