Double glazing supplier required

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acewoodturner

Established Member
Reaction score
As a couple of my windows in the house have started steaming up, I have decided that its about time they were all replaced. Has anyone got suggestions for a good supplier of upvc. I don't want to start an argument over merits of frame types! I am north of Edinburgh and it rains that often I would never get a chance to paint them, so plastic it is.
Whilst we are on the topic, anyone got good tips/dos and donts etc.
Thanks

Mike

Not sure if they'll deliver that far, but I bought some PVC windows for my house from Just Doors 18 months ago. Price was good, decent quality and no issues with my order.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

There seem to be a number of companies offering to refurbish failed double glazing units.
I have no idea whether it's a viable process, but might be worth making enquiries.

Robbo3":ip2ut6op said:
There seem to be a number of companies offering to refurbish failed double glazing units.
I have no idea whether it's a viable process, but might be worth making enquiries.
I wouldn't replace the whole frame just because of 'steamed' up units! All it means is the seals on the glazing units have failed, - replacement is relatively straightforward, we had quite a few of the old ones replaced in our last place.

A decent local supplier will be able to sort it out. Ask around to find one recommended although you might find they all use one glazing unit manufacturer but charge different prices!

The double glazing is actually about 30 years old and the frames are marked and stained as well. I did consider this cheaper option but my missus wouldn't go for it. Some of the handles on the windows are loose and don't have locks on them either. There is a grey mastic between the glass and the frame which is oozing out and is really messy and mouldy. Its easier to replace the whole lot as opposed to doing it partially and I will get more brownie points as well.

Mike

If you intend to fit the replacements yourself, I also recommend Just Doors. As long as you measure correctly and follow their instructions ordering is a simple task. Their prices are second to none,

Bill

I have used Cruikshanks glazing in Leven to replace misting panes. From memory two medium sized panes was about £90 fitted or fifty if you just got the panel (the chap that came out to do ours even showed me how to do it). We have wooden windows but don't see why it would be any harder for upvc.

I'm in edinburgh and had my window changed 18 months ago. After being told that the front door would cost £4K by CR Smith and the rest of the house would be £6K and telling them to visit France rather politely, I ended up using the guys that advertise in the "Metro". A weegie firm, big blue advert, (full page) and all in it cost £1800. Been very happy with them . They came round took measurements in about half an hour and then gave me a price 3 days later and 10 days after that the lad turned up and fitted them in about 4 hours.
Had the original 1860s windows so has made a mahuusive difference to the heat and noise level. Half the time when I go out I neda to go back in and get a better coat, as I have't noticed the rubbish weather.

Would really recommend them, oh and got to have the frames in a dark oak type effect so pretty happy overall. Happy to send pics if you want.

hth

Hi Halo, I'd forgotten about Cruickshanks in Leven. Used to use them when I was making big live edge mirrors but have been down for a few years.
That's an interesting price Droogs. Was looking about that price for supply and having to fit them myself. If I could get them fitted as well for that price that would be braw. I don't take the train very often so its a while since I read a Metro. Have you got a name and website for the company you used.
Thanks, Mike

Will be on the bus later today so will have a look for you

EDit - addtl info

Just found the info:

It was the advance group: http://www.theadvancedgroup.co.uk/about-us

they have special offers on just now £295 for double and £395 for triple per window and doors from£500

hth

Back