Double Glazed units in timber frames

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ros I have seen this double beading in France. I have also seen them replace a DG unit over there. It is very easy to replace broken faulty units but also very easy to
to get them out from outside....I would be wary of security.. Geoff

RossJarvis":2l0vuo8f said:
I've just remembered that I'm doing a porch after Christmas, which will be made up of Seasoned oak posts and "beams" about 4" x 4", on a brick dwarf wall to about 3' - 4'. My intention is to use beads either side of the dg units and not into rebates. I'm presuming with this, the butyl strip should take the movement of the wood over time and need to ensure the units aren't "clamped" in between any spacers, so essentially floating.

Anyone done this sort of thing?

Cheers

Ive not done this myself but have supplied timber machined to do it. I used this site for information:

http://sessile-oak.co.uk/Resources/Glazing

It is important to include allowance for movement, not so much with seasoned oak posts perhaps but they will still move. My experience with structural oak is that suppliers have a somewhat relaxed interpretation of seasoned, more than once Ive discovered 4 x 4 posts cut from huge sections, so yes it may have been air dried for 7 years but if its being cut out of a 12 x 12 that doesnt mean much!

Cheers guys :D .

As it's a porch, there is security with an inner locking door, so I think the exterior bead should be okay. Robin, as per the "seasoned" interpretation by some suppliers, I have worked seasoned oak which seemed to have more water in it than if it had been submerged for 50 years :shock: . I think the supplier I am looking at should know what he's doing.

Latest posts

Back