Door rail & stile set

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am looking to buy a door rail and stile cutter for my spindle moulder. The obvious choice is a CMT 694.015 DOOR RAIL & STILE SET. This would be a significant investment, so I thought that I would ask whether anyone knows of a good quality alternative. I need the cutter to be able to be adjusted to make a 44mm external hardwood door, and so the cheaper cabinet door sets won’t do the job.

Thanks in advance…

I am looking to buy a door rail and stile cutter for my spindle moulder. The obvious choice is a CMT 694.015 DOOR RAIL & STILE SET. This would be a significant investment, so I thought that I would ask whether anyone knows of a good quality alternative. I need the cutter to be able to be adjusted to make a 44mm external hardwood door, and so the cheaper cabinet door sets won’t do the job.

Thanks in advance…
Try Scott and Sargent , Omas cutters.

Why don’t you just get a set of cutters made out of say carbide if you’re into MDF made for a standard profile block? A carbide set of say 50mm custom cutters and limiters is c£140. HSS is around £55. Alternatively Whitehill do cutters, but I now find having my own custom cutters made to be more economical, a set from Whitehill with limiters in HSS is almost the same as a carbide set.

Why don’t you just get a set of cutters made out of say carbide if you’re into MDF made for a standard profile block? A carbide set of say 50mm custom cutters and limiters is c£140. HSS is around £55. Alternatively Whitehill do cutters, but I now find having my own custom cutters made to be more economical, a set from Whitehill with limiters in HSS is almost the same as a carbide set.

That’s useful, thanks. Who would you recommend for custom cutters? I would have thought that there would be cutters available for 1 3/4 inch or 44mm standard external door width, but I can only find 50mm ( e.g. Whitehill profile 22/23)

I made a glazed door last week using a carbide multicut set and spacers. it was really really easy once set up. don't know if that's how it's done but I scribed 2 wide pieces(the same length). then ripped them for glazing bars and rails. then profiled. turned out perfect( as you can guess it shocked me!)

The CMT block you referenced is for making cabinet doors not external doors which I think your suggesting, what type of doors exactly are you looking to make?

1692392082416.png

The CMT block you referenced is for making cabinet doors not external doors which I think your suggesting, what type of doors exactly are you looking to make?
I’m looking to make an external door. The CMT block 694.015 is for full size doors. It’s the CMT 694.014 that is for cabinet doors

My error🥴
I’d get a rebate block it an adjustable groover and stack them with a profile block or two. Gives complete flexibility. But you can just do it with a custom cutter in a profile block

Thanks deema. Good advice. I have ordered a set of custom cutters and limiters from Whitehill, along with a bigger Euro block to mount them in, and that was more than £200 cheaper than the CMT dedicated cutters

Thanks deema. Good advice. I have ordered a set of custom cutters and limiters from Whitehill, along with a bigger Euro block to mount them in, and that was more than £200 cheaper than the CMT dedicated cutters
Hi Peter.

How did you get on with these cutters? I’m in the same situation as you and found the CMT 694.015 to be perfect but very expensive indeed.

Which cutters did you did you get from whitehill in the end?

Any info would be very much appreciated

Thanks

Hi Peter.

How did you get on with these cutters? I’m in the same situation as you and found the CMT 694.015 to be perfect but very expensive indeed.

Which cutters did you did you get from whitehill in the end?

Any info would be very much appreciated

Thanks
They were custom cutters ie he drew up what he wanted and they made them.

Back