Domino Question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradNaylor

Established Member
Reaction score
This afternoon I've had a demo of a Domino from a guy from Festool. I have to say I'm very impressed and I'm going to have to have one.

The thing is, the demo model was the old version with metal pins. It is being replaced with a slightly different system due to some legal shenanagins with Mafell. He's offered me the demo model at a (small!) discount. In fact, he's left it with me on appro.

The saving is so slight that my first instinct is to go for a new one. However, are the old metal pins a lot better than the new plastic arrangement they've been forced to change to?

I've got a couple of days to make my mind up.

Cheers
Dan

Dan
I've seen, but not used, the new-style pins, so I can't really comment on how well they perform.

However.

I have been to the Fetool factory, I've seen the lengths they go to to design, develop and manufacture their kit. I've also seen that they are quite prepared to modify and improve tools as they go on (the fence rods on the current 1010 router, for example, have fine adjustment built in, whereas mine don't :( ). But given, as you say, that Festool was forced to make the change because it infringed a patent I would say that it is unlikely to be better, and I don't see how it can do its job as well, given that, IIRC, the pins are cheese-shaped and not round.

Mine is actually a pre-production model, but I think it is identical to the original. If you have the option of buying it, and especially if you are a few bob up on the deal, I'd say take it.
S

Dan

I would be tempted to go for the old style one you have on offer.

I have one and it is a joy to use - I imagine the plastic paddle version will be quite satisfactory, but you will not go wrong with the metal pins (I recall there is some offset adjustment to the pins but I have never needed it.

There was some concern raised on the Festool Owners Group that the plastic version may be less robust - some other discussion here http://festoolownersgroup.com/index.php?topic=5145.0

hth

I cant really comment on the new system but the old style metal pin ones which i have got work really well. My only concern if its a demo model then its probably already a year or so old and has probably been used a fair bit so i would expect a fairly decent discount on it. I was told by the festool rep at an exhibition that the metal pin ones were better but that was in an informal chat. Are you also going to get the 3 year warranty with it?

Jon

I just bought one before the 10% price increase and it came with the plastic flaps. I have to say, if I had the choice, I'd take the metal ones. The plastic ones are "okay" but they don't look that robust (probably why a replacement set were also included in the systainer).

So, I'd take the demo unit... but you'll want a hefty discount to compensate you for taking essentially what is 2nd hand. Festool screw us on price, so I don't think it's unreasonable to do the reverse whenever possible ;-)

Hi Dan, I bought mine ages ago so it's got metal pins but putting that issue aside if you buy the ex-demo will you get the full guarantee like you would if you bought a new one? If you do I would probably the discounted one if you don't I definitely wouldn't. It's a great tool by the way, I didn't think I'd use it that much but actually I use it every day.

Go for it,metal over plastic anytime for me....How much use could it have had at shows?? These things will be around long after I`m gone,its bullet proof.
Mines metal too and a lot of people want it when they see it in action.

Back