Dining table W.I.P

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BTR

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi this is my first w.i.p with and to make a it better i will try and put as much pics as possible.
This is my first large project so here it goes i am making a 5' x 30" dining table out of American oak.
Starting with the top so today i run the wood through the thicknesser and then on to my axminster jointer to square up the edges then finally got it all biscuited and glued using the fast grab glue .

17052010014.jpg

17052010015.jpg

17052010017.jpg

Why didn`t you cut the blue off the ends so you could see which way the growth rings cupped? If they are not alternating you are heading for trouble.
I also built a table from American white oak last year, same method. Dead flat and no splits so far.......and no breadboard either, waste of time.
What will you be using for a finish? I made one up as per Sam Maloof, Very good finish. Recipe if you like.

I'd clean the glue of those clamps as soon as you have them free as when it dries fully, it's a real pig to get off.

Perhaps they are.
I lop them off soon as I start using the board, apart from anything else quite often there are heavy staples in the ends which can make a mess of blades and cutters. Looks nice oak though.

I'd have been inclined to pull up three boards at a time with a lot more cramps, alternating over and under.
I'm glad you like AWO...I don't. For me English or European is far preferable but probably not quite so readily available in long straight sizes as the 'murrican - Rob

Streepips":3159oiw2 said:
Perhaps they are.
I lop them off soon as I start using the board, apart from anything else quite often there are heavy staples in the ends which can make a mess of blades and cutters. Looks nice oak though.

Yes also the the end often has checks in it so cut them off little by little to make sure you've removed it all.

Don't know where I saw this.
Glue on clamps?
Use that brown packaging sticky tape to line surfaces which will come into contact with PVA, it doesn't stick.

xy

xy mosian":2h7bcu5y said:
Don't know where I saw this.
Glue on clamps?
Use that brown packaging sticky tape to line surfaces which will come into contact with PVA, it doesn't stick.

xy

That is exactly what I use - works a charm.

I have never had a problem with the clamps getting glued and the glue just peels of when it is fully dried so no worrys there.
Yes Streepips i sorted the planks out so the growth rings are alternating on each plank so hopefully it should stay straight.
I cleaned off the glue today with just a quick skim with the plane on both sides and then got it roughly all flat with my belt sander and squared up the edges on the T.S ready to use byronblacks idea off rebating some oak strips for the edging to give the table a 2" thick look to the top that will be the next bit.

18052010018.jpg

18052010019.jpg

18052010020.jpg

18052010021.jpg

Woodblokes comment about the colouring reminds me:
I spent some time shuffling the boards so that the figuring flowed, or at least appeared to although I had of course to make sure of alternate growth rings at the same time.
Which brings me on to the colouring. The best match or layout for figuring did not give the same smooth transition in colouring, far from it, some very pale timber next to some quite dark sections, next to reddish, etc.etc.
So I was very pleased when my concocted finish brought them all together to a uniform colour, a sort of golden medium oak. A clear finish would have retained to colour differences to the detriment of the finished appearance.

This is always a difficult one when you mix and match boards that aren't from the same log...grain or colour? In an ideal world you'd want to have all those boards cut from the same log (maybe they were... :duno: but I suspect not) so that the colour ought to be uniform and all you have to worry about is matching the grain.

But as we know, it ain't an ideal world :( - Rob

Did not get to do anything today busy day at work so got held up till after six
it would be nice to get the colour equal and the grain but as it has been said it is not a ideal world but i think once finished with a finish i will prepare myself it will look spot on.
WoodAddict for the legs i will be making hollow 4" square legs biscuited together and maybe 3-4" rails all round :roll:

Hi all got around to cutting the legs today 79cm is the length of the legs first put them through the dewalt thicknesser to get them nice and flat boy this don't half fill up the dust bag quick this was empty when i started i have to say the dx5000 is one real good extractor dust and chippings no problem always gets everything.

20052010022.jpg

20052010023.jpg

Next step was to get the pieces on the planer to square up the edges ready for joining i know there is no guard on the planer but it just gets in the way so on some jobs it gets taken off :oops: .

20052010024.jpg

All the pieces are now ready for pocket hole screws and biscuits and glue i think this method will be more than strong enough to hold them together an excellent piece off kit the kreg k3 master jig glad i bought it it gives you a real strong joint.

21052010027.jpg

21052010026.jpg

The last piece off the leg has just been bicuited glued and the nailed useing my nailgun and finally clamped to complete leg will fill in the little pinhead holes with some home made oak filler :lol:

Back