Difficulty finding a slotted stubby screwdriver with 10mm x 1.6mm blade

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Newton

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
The subject says it all really - the only ones I have found are from PS Swiss Tools and Garant and whilst the drivers themselves are not outrageously expensive (ca, £7-8), they only seem to be available from abroad and with shipping it comes to anything from £20 to £28. Can anybody suggest where I might source this item (any reasonable make) in the UK (and with reasonable shipping/delivery charges).
The nearest I have found in the UK is a Wera model with an 8mm x 1.2mm blade. Thanks in advance.

I still have the one I had when I started out 50 years ago........
plus a lot of other tools in that gift box.....

mostley use flat screwdriver's as levers or paint lid removers......
thankfully a thing of the past...

Have you tried gunsmith screwdrivers? I have a set for brass screws, they are not tapered like normal Sparky drivers they have truly square heads on them. All so you don’t mangle your brass screws and no slippage occurs for nice cabinetry etc

I think I got them from Classic Hand Tools but could have been Dieter Smidt?

I might have to end up using a driver bit but would much prefer a dedicated screwdriver.

Buy a stubby handle with a female 1/4" hex in it and JB Weld the straight bit into it. One dedicated screwdriver.

Another area to look is gunsmithing suppliers; in the UK, Brownells might be a starting point.

This bit is 5/16" hex. and 40mm long. Make your own handle and glue it in:

https://www.primetools.co.uk/produc...-series-2-slotted-screwdriver-bit-1-6-x-10mm/
The hex. bits are good becasue they are closer to a hollow grind than most standard drivers, which are generally taper ground.

Have you tried gunsmith screwdrivers? I have a set for brass screws, they are not tapered like normal Sparky drivers they have truly square heads on them. All so you don’t mangle your brass screws and no slippage occurs for nice cabinetry etc

I think I got them from Classic Hand Tools but could have been Dieter Smidt?
I did have a look at gunsmith screwdrivers but in the end decided to go for a bit and bit holder. Thanks for the suggestion, it was definitely worth looking at.

Buy a stubby handle with a female 1/4" hex in it and JB Weld the straight bit into it. One dedicated screwdriver.

Another area to look is gunsmithing suppliers; in the UK, Brownells might be a starting point.

This bit is 5/16" hex. and 40mm long. Make your own handle and glue it in:

https://www.primetools.co.uk/produc...-series-2-slotted-screwdriver-bit-1-6-x-10mm/
The hex. bits are good becasue they are closer to a hollow grind than most standard drivers, which are generally taper ground.
I decided on a Wera stubby handle/bit holder and am following your suggestion, more or less. See previous regarding gunsmith screwdrivers. I did find a 10mm slotted bit with a 1/4" shank instead of the 5/16" shank item you found. Good info regarding hex bits being closer to a hollow grind. Many thanks for your input.

Thanks to everybody for their input and suggestions. As I mentioned I have gone for a Wera stubby bit holder and a 10mm slotted bit with a 1/4" hex shank. It's probably worth mentioning that primetools.co.uk has a really good search option - "stubby slotted" returned 112 results of which the vast majority were relevant. I've been to quite a few web sites where the search results include some bizarrely irrelevant items!

Find a larger one on eBay and carefully file it down to the size you need.
If postage is out then you’d have to wait for one to show up locally- worth weighing up the value of your time.

If you want it as a so-called "plane iron screwdriver" I wouldn't bother. They are just a tool sellers gimmick and a normal handled screwdriver does a better job.

If you have a grinder it's not too difficult to make your own. I made one 18 mm wide as I could only find a commercial version in Japan ! Buy a 10 mm flat bit , nip off the point ( beware the steel is very hard ) and grind the end flat. I turned a handle and inserted the tang with some epoxy. I've not measured it but these bits are at least 1.6 mm thick. Works a treat.

Last edited:
recipio beat me to it. screwdrivers are one of the easiest tools to make and if just being used without undue force the cheapest way is to buy a large one from a pound shop and grind it down

recipio beat me to it. screwdrivers are one of the easiest tools to make and if just being used without undue force the cheapest way is to buy a large one from a pound shop and grind it down
Hey I love your picture, Lon's. I had one of those in my Apple tree last night in front yard. Just as big. Broke a huge 6 inch round main branch by just pulling it down with a paw. To lazy to climb tree.

Back