Did anyone on here buy the Stanley chisels on eBay?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MickCheese

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I like eBay but it does seem to have it's fair share of people getting carried away.

An auction for, admittedly, a full set of Stanley 5001's has just ended with someone paying £103.

Stanley chisels on eBay

I have several of these chisels and I do rate them but £103? I am stunned.

Am I missing something?

Mick

Wow, I was watching them but forgot about it. Surely the price of these is best part of the way to some new quality chisels?

Too much xmas cheers too early perhaps..

A bit pricey yes. I guess more people have realised that Stanley 5001s are very good chisels, even though they were really unfashionable only a few years ago.
Still a fraction of the price of LN bevel edges, so pretty good value nevertheless!
I expect someone will waste a few days replacing the handles with home made ones, reducing their value to zero at a stroke!

They are very good quality chisels and were expensive when new, and they havent made them since the early 80's
I was intrested in them as i would like a good 1/8" and 1 1/4" chisel to complete my set
Sadly they made more than i was willing to pay, but if they are in very good condition £12.90 each isnt that dear compared to new price.

Jacob":cfdocl86 said:
I expect someone will waste a few days replacing the handles with home made ones, reducing their value to zero at a stroke!
So what? Their Chisels, their time, their choice.

Jacob":2tgou6qb said:
A bit pricey yes. I guess more people have realised that Stanley 5001s are very good chisels, even though they were really unfashionable only a few years ago.
Still a fraction of the price of LN bevel edges, so pretty good value nevertheless!

Very true and a bit of a pointless exercise in re-handling unless they're damaged beyond repair.

Weren't both 5001's and 5002's the same steel, etc., but with the 5001's having polished backs? I seem to recall this from reading up in a few tool catalogues when I had to choose between the two types back in the early 70's. The polished back soon blemishes (As witnessed in my father's set of 5001's) and the saving I made from buying 5002's meant I could more readily afford complete sets in both bevel edge and firmers. I still have most of my 5002's now and they're still going strong. :)

I used to have a set of six of those chisels, given to me as part of my toolkit when I started my apprenticeship, they were good chisels but somehow I've mislaid a few over the years, I still have two or three left that I use at work, useful when I need a chisel that I can clout without worrying if the handle will split. I never really thought they might be worth much though.

studders":1pxqot98 said:
Jacob":1pxqot98 said:

Absolutely!

I fail to see how other people feel that they want to control other people's choice in life...rather sad isn't it! :roll:

Jim

jimi43":910mhq6h said:
studders":910mhq6h said:
Jacob":910mhq6h said:

Absolutely!

I fail to see how other people feel that they want to control other people's choice in life...rather sad isn't it! :roll:

Jim
Agreed Jim, very sad. I used to have a set of those things...horrible, nasty plastic handles. I got rid of them quite soon after I got them and bought some boxwood handled Marples ones instead - Rob

MickCheese":cp71we6y said:
I like eBay but it does seem to have it's fair share of people getting carried away.

An auction for, admittedly, a full set of Stanley 5001's has just ended with someone paying £103.

Stanley chisels on eBay

I have several of these chisels and I do rate them but £103? I am stunned.

Am I missing something?

Mick

It's called auction fever.

BugBear

awkwood":131049lb said:
I was intrested in them as i would like a good 1/8" and 1 1/4" chisel to complete my set
I think that's probably the explanation (with the addition of auction fever); usually the sizes at the extreme ends of the range are the scarce ones in all chisel types. Some would have to believe this is only of issue to collectors, but users are often the worst for wanting to complete the set. Collectors just buy a complete set in the first place. :)

Talking of collector behaviour; look at Jacob - he's hung up on keeping them "original" in order to retain the value, rather than alter the tool to suit the requirements of the end user. See what happens when you quote him, chaps? I have to read these ghastly revelations. Tsk. [-X

Bit pricey, but good set of very good chisels and way better than anything new in that price bracket.
More suited to someone whos main interest is woodwork though, rather than the "having the latest bling gizmo will make me a better woodworker" type :mrgreen:

Nice chisel I have some from the 70's. Well the market pays what it can afford, along with the full set is it too dear. Well not to the buyer it seems. They should clean up nice and good example of a worked set.

I was going to buy them to use. I have a few of them of different size and i use them mostly in the workshop, but they are good to use for sitework too, where boxwood handled chisels soon get damaged. I would buy any brand that holds an edge as well as the 5001. Old marples blue chip or splitproof are a good general purpose chisel, i use splitproof ones from the 80's for day to day site work and rate them highly, but i have a 1 1/4" splitproof that i bought new last year and its just numb.
The plastic handles on 5001's are not as good looking as wooden handles, but great for my purpose.

These would of been nice for those who like wooden handles and similar money
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/marples-chise ... 27c118d6bd

My set of 6 only goes up to 1". I have a 1 1/2" blue handled one. These I have had since the late 60's. They are quality chisels.

Jacob":1uzw3gp4 said:

Yes i would deff get rid of those disgusting horrid plastic yuk and replace them with some good wooden ones and I wouldn't sell them to you anyway ! :mrgreen: :deer :deer :deer :deer

:lol:
Yah boo- wouldn't want them anyway so there!

:deer :deer :deer :deer :deer
Oh sorry :( tell you what , if I get any soon, i'll send you the handles for Xmas. :ho2 :deer :deer :deer :deer :deer

Latest posts

Back