Diamond sharpening stones

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SNight

Established Member
Reaction score
I want to invest in a set of dimond stones, probably a med grit, fine, and superfine. Was wondering if anyone has any reccomendations or pointers regarding different makes, styles of stones? Which ones people have found best to use? Or wether there is a alternative which works better? I know a lot of this is down to personal preference but would just like to hear from some people who have used them and how they have found them. Thanks.

Hello, I use the DMT stones which I got direct from Lee Valley in Canada They are very quick and the green extra fine leavees a nice polish, but don't use them for hogging metal off to make a new bevel, you can strip off the diamonds! The fine /extra fine stone is the most useful in my opinion, especially with the veritas jig with water for lubricant and dispersant. I hope this helps. All that chanting and slurry with water stones !

I used to use the DMT stones which I found very good. The best one I found was the green Extra Fine but Axminster now do an Extra Extra Fine grit for about £90ish if memory serves. I used an Eclipse clone jig which served me well for a number of years. For grinding the primary bevel though, some mechanised is recommended. I've used a Tormek for years now which IMO, is hard to beat - Rob

I have a few DMT stones. The 8" x 3" is really good for plane blades. I paid £9 for a 4 sided 6" model from Aldi. It is very good. I bought a set of their diamond files also, great for touching up router bits.

Thanks for the replies. So would a fine and superfine along with my bench grinder be sufficient? Or should i get a medium stone also? What do you think about the cheaper ones? there seems to be a major price difference between say £7 for a cheap stone then it jumps to £40 minimum for the ezelap stones. There isnt really anything in between.

I've used the DMT polka dot 8" x 3" stones for many years - a coarse, fine and extra fine

Competition5.jpg

They were expensive but well worth it in that they are still performing well after many years. I use them with 3 in 1 oil, not water.

However, in order to get a really sharp edge I finish off on a leather strop with jewellers rouge.

I think there's quite a difference between cheap and expensive diamond stones, both in the type of diamond used and how the stones are bonded together. I wouldn't expect the cheap stones to perform or last as well.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Thanks Paul. Very helpfull. I just bought a hardley used DMT 600 fine stone on ebay. Think i will also get a medium stone and a leather strop. Thanks for the help. Anybody know where to get the leather strops from?

SNight":71bs778a said:
Anybody know where to get the leather strops from?

I bought a piece of leather from Mike Hudson of Clifton planes. He's at most of the shows and usually has a pile of the stuff with him. Might be available from places like Classic Hand Tools as well. Just glue it to some MDF (I used two pieces of 18mm MDF glued together)

Competition6.jpg

I find it works best if you rub in a little Vaseline then some jewellers rouge (the maroon bar in the picture). There are various honing compounds but I find that jewellers rouge works best and stays soft in cold weather. When using the strop it's best to leave the blade in the honing guide and draw it backwards a few times across the strop. Then remove the blade from the guide and draw the flat side backwards across the strop. Be sure to hold the blade dead flat so as not to round over the edge.

Hope this helps.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

I used the same sort of strop as Paul with Jewellers Rouge just to refine the edge...works very well. The Vaseline keeps the leather soft and the rouge gives just enough 'bite' to polish the edge.
I rarely use the strop now and instead treat the backs of blades using a 10000g Spyderco ceramic stone - Rob

Thanks for the info. I will have a look on the internet see where i can get the strop from. Thanks again.

SNight":wcxeip0d said:
Thanks for the info. I will have a look on the internet see where i can get the strop from. Thanks again.
Go to any decent boot menders or old fashioned cobblers and just ask for a bit of leather...you don't need anything fancy, stick it down to a bit of mdf with PVA glue...sorted :wink: - Rob

Thanks for that woodbloke, i didnt think of that! Ill go at the weekened and see what i can sort out.

Back