Dewalt DW733 or makita 2012NB thicknesser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for uploading those photos, and sorry its taken me a while to reply.

Definitely a modification that looks worthwhile, its on the to do list

Cheers

Mark

No worries mark.

I can say it was quite easy and took only 10 minutes once I had received the latches.

I have used the machine a lot since and I cannot understand why the machine didn't come like this in the first place? It's a portable planer with an attachment that makes it a lot less portable.

Just added a wixey dro to the dewalt thicknesser, installed and calibrated both quite straight forward. Set the cutter head to 20mm on the gauge and got 19.98mm.

20130124_111745_zpsd30faacf.jpg

Does it need calibrating if you change the cutters ? (Still yet to change mine)

Mark

Took about 30 mins to fit, the instructions are for different machines and I got a bit confused. If I had read the instructions front to back before I started would have been 15 minutes to fit. but 15 minutes to read :)

Calibration couldn't be easier, cut a piece of timber and offer it up to the sprung bar and hit the calibration button. That's it. If you change the blades I presume it's the same procedure.

How easy is it to set subsequent heights/thickness accurately. I find with mine that the winding handle has a fair bit of slack in it and can't imagine being able to dial in a nice round number on the wixey. Which would annoy me.

Mark

I think I know what you mean, there's a bit of slop in the thread between the the cutter head and handle.

With the wixey the guide is connected to the frame and the dro moves with the cutter head, so it measures the exact cutter height no matter how loose the thread is.

If it measured from the winding handle it wouldn't be accurate as you say it would be more of a gimmick.

If you need to change the height by let's say 0.05 mm to get a nice round number on the readout, how easy is that with the slack in the handle?

Mark

Hi mark,

The increments are 0.1mm and even with a loose thread easy. It's measuring the head not the handle.

Do you have the same thicknesser? Mine has a cutter lock. If yours does not have a cutter lock and a sloppy thread it wouldn't be accurate.

Yes same machine, cutter head lock works fine, just thought the slack would make it hard to use properly but you confirm not.

Now do I actually need one or do I just WANT one???

Mark

Yep, I describe my DW733 as the loudest machine in the world! Ear defenders are a must along with a good extractor. I can easily fill a Cyclone fed oil drum. Although the blades can be resharpened a new set for a DW733 (Type 2) are £59 a pair. Had I known this I would have looked for a Type 1 or something that accepts the Barke disposable blade system (http://www.barke.de/web-content/eng/sysbarkeEN.html). Always keep the bed waxed, I use Mr Sheen.

Can any Makita 2012 owners tell me if it has any form of dust collection or does it just spew out shavings everywhere?
Ideally looking for a planer of this spec that has dust collection, would be happy to hear any suggestions on alternative manufacturers.
Thanks in advance

Fishandchips":2q4b8e6e said:
Can you resharpen the blades on the 2012?

There are two sorts of blades for the Makita 2012NB. You can either have the double sided throw away or the re-sharpenable. There are slightly different parts required to facilitate the differences.

Kerberos":2q4b8e6e said:
Can any Makita 2012 owners tell me if it has any form of dust collection or does it just spew out shavings everywhere?
Ideally looking for a planer of this spec that has dust collection, would be happy to hear any suggestions on alternative manufacturers.
Thanks in advance

Yes, it has a very good dust extraction hood.

It is also the quietest thicknesser in it's class.

Thanks,
Neil

Back