Dewalt DW733 or makita 2012NB thicknesser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fishandchips

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am wanting to buy a good quality thicknesser. I already have an axminster p/t but its a pain when you have limited room to set the thing up.

I was looking at the dewalt DW733 or makita 2012NB. I want a good quality machine because I want it to last a long time.

I am interested in any experiences with these machines or similar please, are the blade resharpenable or after market blades that can be resharpened? Are the motors quiet? Has either got the induction motor? 1 or 2 or variable infeed or cutter speed?

Spent ages looking online at the 2 machines but the info is bloody hard to find.

First post "on any forum" Be nice ;-)

Cheers my dears.

P.s. anyone got a good quality used machine I may be interested.

Hi fishandchips and welcome

I had a DW 733 for some time and I was impressed. Sorry but I've no experience of the Makita.

To answer your questions -

1. The knives are easily re-sharpenable and spares are easy to find.
2. The DW certainly doesn't have an induction motor and is very noisy.
3. There is no adjustment for infeed or cutter speed. The only adjustment was for thickness.

On the plus side, the DW is robust and accurate. The knives are easy to change and set using the magnetic setting blocks. The extraction is particularly good if you choose to use it.

Hope this helps,

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the reply, just what I needed to know. Might get some ear plugs for next door.

Anyone can give me a similar answer to peters for the makita please.

Anyone used both?

Cheers

Garry.

Does anyone know if I can buy a thicknesser with an induction motor?

I noticed the makita is supposed to be quiet but I don't think the blades are reshapenable which I would also like.

there was a discussion about this some time back- i think that there is an induction motored one somewhere, but i cant remember enough about the thread to search for it.

however, when in use, the noise of cutting wood is way beyond the motor noise, so probably not worth worrying too much about.

for what it is worth, i have the axi version of this- ct330 i think, and it is a great little machine.

Cheers marcros,

I had seen that one but they are out of stock.

I have the axminster P/T aw106pt and its not that loud but it has an induction motor and 3 blades is the most obvious difference. I wonder if the stand alone thicknessers are any louder than that.

My router is a right screamer, if its as loud as that I might rethink even looking at these machines.

I have a small workshop and its a real pain changing from planing to thicknessing, it would also be handy to take outside for long lengths which I can't do with the P/T.

i have the axi 6" planer equivalent of your pt. i cant remember the model off hand, it has 106 in it though and 3 blades. the thicknesser is more akin to the router than to the surface planer.

I want.

Good quality thicknesser
2hp min quiet induction motor
Variable speed infeed and cutter speed (just been greedy)
Sharpenable blades
3 blade cutter block
250mm min
Head lock
Dust shroud
British 3 pin plug
In yellow with free next day delivery for under £500, ohh and a 3 year warranty.

Is that too much to ask. Why can I never find just what I need? Does this combination sound about right? Did I miss anything?

Gone and bought the dewalt from dm tools, £399.95 at moment and free delivery.

Chose the dewalt over the makita because you can sharpen the blades. If I didn't own a tormek I would have gone for the makita because its quieter. Both these machines seem quite equal in all other respects.

Cheers guys for the help.

P.s. if anyone has a good quality similar machine for sale at half the price please do not tell me now!

WHAT'S THAT QUESTION YOU WERE ASKING? I COULDN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE NOISE OF MY THICKNESSER :D

Seriously, I have the Dewalt and it is easily the most noisy machine in my workshop and that's before I fire up the extractor and put a piece of wood through it. I use ear defenders every time with this running.

Having said this, I wouldn't be without it. Coupled with my jointer it gives me so much flexibility and efficiency with the amount of waste I can expect. As a hobby wood worker this is an important point for me.

On the noise issue I don't think you'll ever find a quiet one. They are all going to be noisy to some extent. In terms of the quality and performance I am very happy with the machine. The in and out feed tables took a bit of messing about to get them right and I still get a little snipe on some length pieces but for short pieces it's spot on and for longer pieces where I supplement the out feed table with rollers it's now very good. The quality of finish is excellent and the accuracy is spot on.

As a hobbyist I've not yet managed to blunt a set of knives, but I did take them out and reset them out of curiosity and it was easy with the supplied blade setter.

I run mine from a 16amp circuit as it can trip my workshop socket ring on first start up if other stuff is on. But only first time start up.

It's heavy and solid so mine lives on a shop built roller cabinet which makes life easier. Extraction is good but boy it can't half chuck out the waste. I can fill my DX4000 in the blink of and eye. The shavings that come out of the extractor are lovely little fluffy ones which I guess is as a result of quality of the cut.

When I was looking at reviews I recall the Makita got equally good reviews as the Dewalt. In my opinion if you can prove to yourself you need one then you'll have no regrets with either of them.

Jon

My neighbours are gonna kill me..........

I wanted the blades sharpenable because I plan on using this machine for a lot of years. Woodworking is expensive at the best of times.

Looking forward to the flexibility though, should make life a lot easier and more fun:)

Apart from the mobile base any modifications or set up tips?

:) really happy with the DW733

Very solid bit of kit, ran a few lengths of oak through first and was disappointed to get quite a bit of snipe, until I realised I had not locked the cutter head, virtually no snipe now and I haven't even tried to set the tables up yet.

It's very loud, I was warned by some of you, I am going to have to be careful of the time of day I use this machine I think which is a bit of a downer.

Chip extraction is great although I was surprised that the dust shroud had to be bolted to the machine with three fiddly little bolts. I have cured this by screwing a cam latch to the top and slotting the bottom screw hole. Now I can stow the machine with tables up in seconds and set it back up in seconds. Don't know what dewalt didn't think of this, it is supposed to be a portable machine.

Cheers for your guidance guys.

Garry

How about this from axi?

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-ax ... d3a41f52c4

Not an induction motor. Think those are on the floor standing models only. Resharpenable blades, 2 speeds. Plus with the saving you could get timber or an extractor.

I have the predecessor to this - ct330. Great machine that i have had for at least 6 yrs now and still going strong :)

Any chance of a photo of your extraction modification on the 733 Garry?

Mark

20130111_183007_zps5b60dc51.jpg

This is the end of the toggle and you can see the lower bolt still proud by about 3mm. I discarded the side screws

20130111_183042_zpsbd4b871d.jpg

This is the dust shroud, had to cut slots in it to allow for the self tappers I had used. Didn't affect performance and the self tappers are hidden from the airflow by an internal airofoil, also had to use 3mm of washers to clear the lip on the planer. Cut a slot for the lower bolt.

20130111_183130_zps4410291b.jpg

You can see here the shroud first slots onto the lower bolt and then secures with the cam catch above.

20130111_183120_zps76ab646c.jpg

Ready for action and quite secure.

Got the cam latches from eBay, 40mm x 25mm I think. £8 for 10 sets inc delivery.

Back