Dehumidifier recommendation please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 4112

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Apologies for what must be an annual question, I tried using the search facility but all that tells me is, 'Linked CSEs no longer supported.' Quite what my paltry handful of CSEs gained 40+ years ago has to do with anything is beyond me.

I’m after a portable dehumidifier for the shed. Wooden construction, 44mm double T&G, double glazed and 3*5*2.5 mtrs so about 40m^3 with an insulated floor. About the only criteria I have is the dehumidifier must have an external outlet and a timer so I can set it to go on and off unattended or a mechanical switch so I can drive it from a wall timer.

Screwfix would be ideal, Wicks, TP, Argos or any of the major sheds equally so. I don’t want to use mail order or have a long drive to get it and I am guessing I should get change for a pint out of £150.

Great full for any recommendations especially the ‘don’t touch x with a barge pole' variety. Again apologies for a question that must be repetitive. Roll on the spring.

If it's an unheated shed I would go for a desiccant type like a Meaco. Compressor type become far less effective in low temperatures. For the compressor sort I have always been happy with Ebac but not bought a new one for years so dont want to recommend specific models.

Thanks Beau, I’ve just learnt there are 2 types and it'll be a desiccant type I need. I didn’t know that 30 minutes ago. The search continues.

Dessicant type was as far as I had got with my research. My shed’s about the same volume, so I’ll be interested with the replies to your post. I’m not however going to get one until my shed is internally lined as at the moment it’s so well ventilated I’ll be trying to control the humid of all of Aberdeenshire.

F.

Got an EcoAir dessicant dehumidifer in my workshop, and another in the house - both work well, quiet and an added benefit is the warm air exhausted.

Only trouble is since I added breathable membrane, insulation, dpm and boarding to my workshop, I only have to empty the thing once every couple of months - so I don't get warm air either as basically it's just sitting there running a fan! A hose can be added to it if needed to continuously drain the water out.

I've got two of these https://www.screwfix.com/p/wdh-122h-12r ... _container specs look like it'll be slightly under your requirement though. Although the description says single speed the switch has two settings. One setting cuts the dehumidifier out when it reaches....40% humidity I think. The other setting is just constantly on, sucking the place dry.
I've got one at home in the hallway which then gets the moisture from other rooms (a lot bigger than the 25m3 it says it's suitable for.) I'm surprised how quickly it fills so it must be doing something.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies gents. Given that the shed's internal temperature will drop to that of rural Worcestershire overnight it looks like it has to be a desiccant, perhaps I won’t get the price of a pint in change from £150 after all. I’m currently looking at Amazon and a EcoAir DD122FW-MK5 Classic Desiccant Dehumidifier with Ioniser and Silver Filter. So much for not wanting to use mail order! The only downside to this is its timer can’t be set to automatically start at a set time each day. And the LOML won’t volunteer to enter the shed and kickstart it daily either. Bother. I thought that timers were meant... never mind.

Thanks eddcamm. How does the timer work? I’d like to set in to come on for a set period each day completely unattended, I work away all week. Is this possible or does it need physically kickstarting for each on cycle?

Not sure of types, but in terms of makes I’ve had an Ebac running continuously (on its own humidistat) for over 10 years.
My workshop is a single layer of blocks with external wooden cladding and after insulation and a vapour barrier, boarded inside. The outlet is now directly outside as the supplied reservoir filled in no time at all. Probably one of, if not the best vfm item I’ve ever bought.

Tip-top edd, we have an answer. The timer does exactly what I want it to do and the company is based next door in Birmingham. My budget has been dented but as it is for the shed that can be overlooked. Thanks to all for you help.

I’ve got a meaco dd8l. Had it for about 18 months and it works great. My shed is a rust free zone!

Every story deserves an ending so let me tuck up and put this thread to bed. Not knowing squat about dehumidifiers when I started this thread I soon learnt I needed a desiccant humidifier as opposed to a compressor type; one expensive mistake averted. On the strength of it having an internal on-off timer I went for the Meaco DD8L, change for a glass of leamonade from £250 and next day DPD delivery from airconcenter.co.uk.

A quick read of the instructions and into the bathroom that had recently been used for 2 showers it went. The internal hydrometer showed a reading of 69%, an hour or so later this was down to 45% and no damp on the edges of the windows, first time we’ve seen that this winter. Bedrooms went from high 40s to low 40s in a similar time. Off to the shed.

Initially the shed was showing about 70% and after 4 hours it was down to 50%. Why so slow to drop? I am guessing the shed's fabric is damp whereas the rooms in the house just had a damp atmosphere and was therefore much easier to dry. Next job was to set the dehumidifier's timer to automatically come on between 0600 and 1000 the next day (today). At 0930 this morning the shed was reading about 44%. Result, if it wasn’t for the LOML wanting my dehumidifier for her bathroom I would leave it in the shed and have it run for a few hours each day and it would soon be a rust free zone.

Only criticism is the dehumidifier cannot be placed up against a wall due to filters needing air circulation etc. Other than that a good purchase thanks to the help and advice from this forum. Thank you all.

We have Passivent stack ventilation in our bathrooms.
If you can fit it it's brilliant. Needs a straight-ish vertical run for the pipe, from room to roof.
If the bathroom steams up after a shower the vent opens automatically and it takes about 10 minutes for the steam to go. It stays open about halfway so it's ventilating and dehumidifying steadily all the time - unless the heating is on and it shuts nearly right down i.e. when relative humidity is low. No condensation, no energy, no noise, zero running costs.

A bit late to reply (but maybe useful to others). I'd highly recommend the ElectriQ 12L. I replaced my Meaco 12L (which died after 3 years) with an ElectriQ and it's by far the better machine.. it's quieter, has more useful features, and doesn't drip water when emptying the tank.

https://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/p/cd ... riq-cd12le

Back