New 'budget' mitre saw recommendation - Erbauer/Bosch/other?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skylight

Reaction score
Hi everyone

Just joined the forum as it seems to have very knowledgeable contributors. Looking for some advice on a mitre saw to purchase please.

I’m a DIYer that recently moved into a new house, where there are lots of jobs that need doing, but I have also taken an interest in woodworking and in the middle of building my first workbench (foldable for wall storage). Amongst many other things, I may want to build some cabinets, shelving units, garden furniture etc. I dream of building a large shed/workshop one day if I ever get time, but that’s a long way off yet and out of my skill level currently.

I’ve recently purchased a Makita SP6000 Plunge Saw (240v), which seems impressive so far. I have been using a 14+ years old Parkside (Lidl) mitre saw to cut some 4x2s but found it’s not cutting quite on 90 degrees and the fence adjustment is very poor. There also appears to be a lot of lateral play in the arm which may drastically change each cut depending on whether slight force is applied towards one side when pulling down the arm. The motor/mechanism is also extremely noisy. Therefore, I thought I might treat myself to a newer and better mitre saw with higher depth and height capacity.

I’m not sure yet how important it is to spend a lot on a mitre saw or how much I’ll use it yet, so didn’t want to go too mad. But at the same time, I don’t want to buy something that feels substandard, just to save a few quid. I think I’m better off buying a stand for it as well, as I don’t have any permanent workbench space now.

I was looking at these possible options and have noted some key points on each:

Erbauer EMIS254S (£199)
Erbauer EMIS254S 254mm Electric Double-Bevel Sliding Mitre Saw 220-240V
  • 305 x 90mm crosscut capacity
  • 1800W motor
  • Double-bevel
  • 48-tooth blade
  • Trench cutting
  • Electronic brake
  • No soft start
  • Lack of spares/repair options – 2-year warranty
Bosch GCM 8 SJL (£285)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-Professional-Corded-Sliding-Mitre/dp/B00FMYUIMO/
  • 312 x 70mm crosscut capacity
  • Slightly lower depth cutting capacity
  • 1600W motor
  • Single bevel
  • 24-tooth blade
  • Soft start
  • More likely to have spares - 3-year warranty
  • Well-known worldwide brand
The ‘official’ stands for either are around £100.

I know sliding mitre saws are pretty huge (depth being a particular problem), but I’m not sure if there’s much between these two, as neither seem compact. I’m quite keen to get a large capacity one, because I don’t want to feel it’s not big enough later on. Not sure if I’ll regret it being too big and awkward to move around though!

Just wondered if anyone has any thoughts/issues on either of these, or key reasons to choose one over the other. I’m also open to other recommended makes/models in this price range.

Thank you in advance.

1st decide what you will be making and how often. If it’s smallish timber then a small saw will probably suffice . On the other hand if you plan on cutting the likes of railway sleepers then a 12” double bevel will make more sense . I prefer to stick to the larger more well known brands as parts are easier to source and they have better after sales services .,

Hi everyone

Just joined the forum as it seems to have very knowledgeable contributors. Looking for some advice on a mitre saw to purchase please.

I’m a DIYer that recently moved into a new house, where there are lots of jobs that need doing, but I have also taken an interest in woodworking and in the middle of building my first workbench (foldable for wall storage). Amongst many other things, I may want to build some cabinets, shelving units, garden furniture etc. I dream of building a large shed/workshop one day if I ever get time, but that’s a long way off yet and out of my skill level currently.

I’ve recently purchased a Makita SP6000 Plunge Saw (240v), which seems impressive so far. I have been using a 14+ years old Parkside (Lidl) mitre saw to cut some 4x2s but found it’s not cutting quite on 90 degrees and the fence adjustment is very poor. There also appears to be a lot of lateral play in the arm which may drastically change each cut depending on whether slight force is applied towards one side when pulling down the arm. The motor/mechanism is also extremely noisy. Therefore, I thought I might treat myself to a newer and better mitre saw with higher depth and height capacity.

I’m not sure yet how important it is to spend a lot on a mitre saw or how much I’ll use it yet, so didn’t want to go too mad. But at the same time, I don’t want to buy something that feels substandard, just to save a few quid. I think I’m better off buying a stand for it as well, as I don’t have any permanent workbench space now.

I was looking at these possible options and have noted some key points on each:

Erbauer EMIS254S (£199)
Erbauer EMIS254S 254mm Electric Double-Bevel Sliding Mitre Saw 220-240V
  • 305 x 90mm crosscut capacity
  • 1800W motor
  • Double-bevel
  • 48-tooth blade
  • Trench cutting
  • Electronic brake
  • No soft start
  • Lack of spares/repair options – 2-year warranty
Bosch GCM 8 SJL (£285)
Amazon.co.uk
  • 312 x 70mm crosscut capacity
  • Slightly lower depth cutting capacity
  • 1600W motor
  • Single bevel
  • 24-tooth blade
  • Soft start
  • More likely to have spares - 3-year warranty
  • Well-known worldwide brand
The ‘official’ stands for either are around £100.

I know sliding mitre saws are pretty huge (depth being a particular problem), but I’m not sure if there’s much between these two, as neither seem compact. I’m quite keen to get a large capacity one, because I don’t want to feel it’s not big enough later on. Not sure if I’ll regret it being too big and awkward to move around though!

Just wondered if anyone has any thoughts/issues on either of these, or key reasons to choose one over the other. I’m also open to other recommended makes/models in this price range.

Thank you in advance.
Definitely Bosch out of those two.

What about the DeWalt 774

https://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-d...Mfz6eTkofglRY0Xy_nRoCEtMQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
I have one of these and it's better than the usual Chinese junk....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/31502658...tixoXeJTeO&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Why do you want a new saw? Will you use it? Always hold off on purchasing until you really need something. These expensive toys are not always needed.
There are always multiple ways of doing the same process.
I used a mitre box and a mitre frame saw for years. I used a mitre box for trimming with a plane for more delicate work. This worked well enough to refurbish a whole house.
You can cross cut a board with a hand saw and get it to 90 with a shooting board. You can cross cut with a track saw using the MFT type grid tops. Track saws are about 50mm depth of cut giving 100mm if you turn the work over.
I have spent many many pounds of hard earned cash on stuff that I could have done without.

I have used the Kapex 120 for furniture work. Absolutely square all the time and stayed so, but the price! I saw one being used to cut rough wood cladding for a Prefab once! I have also used a smaller Makita single bevel (Screwfix cheap one) and it was absolutely fine although the skirting was not very tall( limited capacity)
I am always amazed at the wobbly mitre saws in BandQ and think I could cut better with a €5 hand saw.

Last edited:
To answer the question, you can use your track saw as an approximation of a mitre saw. Make a cutting station top on your new work bench.

I would steer clear of Erbauer Tools.

No experience of Dewalt mitre saws, I have found the Makita saws being good for general DIY chopping.

I bought one of these Hyundai saws 6 months ago and it has proved to be fine. Despite its title, it is a compound mitre saw, one of the pics in the ad shows it's vertical angle adjustment. I advised Screwfix and Hyundai about it but..........
The only problem I encountered was the mitre click stop positioning system needed a bit of fettling to make it engage properly.
Brian

To answer the question, you can use your track saw as an approximation of a mitre saw. Make a cutting station top on your new work bench.

I would steer clear of Erbauer Tools.

No experience of Dewalt mitre saws, I have found the Makita saws being good for general DIY chopping.
When they first came out I bought a couple of erbauer tools, a cordless drill and a jigsaw. Both are still going strong, replaced the cells in the drill batteries a while ago. I was quite impressed, certainly good value. Unfortunately when I have looked at some of their more recent stuff it seems pretty poor quality by comparison. I have another old Screwfix brand mitre saw, Ferm. Bought because at the time I hadn't got a lot of money and it was cheap. Again still going strong, and it has had some abuse over the twenty odd years I have had it. I think at the time it was about £30, but has never missed a beat. Not really answering the OP's question I know, but just pointing out that cheaper DIY tools are not invariably bad.

When they first came out I bought a couple of erbauer tools, a cordless drill and a jigsaw. Both are still going strong, replaced the cells in the drill batteries a while ago. I was quite impressed, certainly good value. Unfortunately when I have looked at some of their more recent stuff it seems pretty poor quality by comparison. I have another old Screwfix brand mitre saw, Ferm. Bought because at the time I hadn't got a lot of money and it was cheap. Again still going strong, and it has had some abuse over the twenty odd years I have had it. I think at the time it was about £30, but has never missed a beat. Not really answering the OP's question I know, but just pointing out that cheaper DIY tools are not invariably bad.
Agreed my mitre saw above^^^ seems pretty robust!!

Back