Dehumidifier recommendation please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hammer n nails":p78rmk8d said:
So are they cheap to run?
Dehumidifiers in general no. Our old compressor type used 0.350 kWh but it was on 24 hours a day so soon adds up. Think the Meaco uses more but did some sums on kWh to water extracted and not much in it. This was using a plug in energy meter and measuring the water extracted and not going on the manufactures figures

Passivent stack ventilation costs nothing to run (see post above).

Jacob":2amys197 said:

Excessive ventilation means extra heating so always a trade off. The joys of a damp climate

Beau":227lbnef said:
Jacob":227lbnef said:

Excessive ventilation means extra heating so always a trade off. The joys of a damp climate
It's not excessive at all. Yes there is some energy lost but its about as little as you can get away with.
A tiny fraction of the cost of a mechanical dehumidifier - as long as it can be installed i.e. with a good vertical run of pipe to the roof - as near the ridge as possible.
You can get rectangular section pipe to fit inside stud partitions. Difficult to retro-fit (but not impossible) but very easy to design and build in from new.

I have read this with great interest as i was on the verge of getting a compressor one (more on this later). I have just bought an Ecoair desiccant dehumidifier DD128 off Facebook Marketplace for £80.00 and will be off to collect it later today.
Up until i read this post i would have said that a compressor was always the best, i was an aircon engineer and i know what compressor dehum does. I once had a job where the walls in a building were quite literally running with condensation, there was mould everywhere. Turns out that the outside boiler room had mesh hidden in the louvre doors, this had become blocked as was not letting air in, this caused the wall to warm up considerably and hence gallons of condensation.
We hire a compressor dehum unit and boy that thing pulled the moisture out to the tune of 8 gallons in 24hrs. and the unit was not big either.
Still looking forward to getting the Ecoair desiccant dehumidifier DD128 in my shed .

hammer n nails":2n81kl5q said:
So are they cheap to run?

It depends on your usage. When the target humidity is reached, they turn off for about 30 mins and then turn back on again if need be. So depending on how quickly the RH rises again, it might only end up being on for half a day or less. At 300w, which tends to be the average power consumption on low power mode, thats about 30-40p for 12hours runtime a day.

I have two dehumidifers, this one from screwfix (Refrigerant) :

https://www.screwfix.com/p/wdh-316db-16 ... fier/1379g

and this one from Ecoair (Desiccant)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/EcoAir-DD122-S ... humidifier

I find the refrigerant one to work much better for me. It draws way more moisture in a shorter period of time and runs at a lower wattage. Which is odd as the Desiccant is supposed to be better at lower temperatures.

We have five dehumidifiers.

Three are ex- HSS hire machines I bought from an auction in Preston the winter before last. We had just bought a house in need of "a touch of TLC" (estate agent translation: total ******* gutting) and needed to dry out the walls after rectifying a big damp problem.

Another is a nice little domestic Dimplex I bought for £40 from Preloved. It's light, compact and works perfectly well. I believe the RRP is less then £150, which seems quite reasonable to me.

However the one I recommend is a Meaco 20l dehumidifier; not because the machine's good (which it is), but for the manufacturer's exemplary service when our dehumidifier stopped working six months out of its warranty. They arranged collection by courier FOC, and when their technician reported back saying it was not repairable they instead offered a serviced replacement. They had no obligation to help, but did so anyway.

Link from Google - prices may be cheaper elsewhere.

https://www.energybulbs.co.uk/meaco+20l ... gI5l_D_BwE

Latest posts

Back