Dating dressing table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ken andrews

Established Member
Reaction score
Good Morning, could anyone help me date old dressing table that I am going to restore, wood could possibly be American Walnut, going to leave mirror off so would like advice on filling screw holes

Attachments

• 20210428_092015.jpg
    20210428_092015.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 108
  • 20210428_092715.jpg
    20210428_092715.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 102
  • 20210428_093227.jpg
    20210428_093227.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 96
Hi Ken, it doesn’t look much like walnut to me I’m afraid, sorry I can’t help with the date.
To me the most interesting part and what makes it is the top section, Ian

Looks like the mouldings are machine made, so that should give you an idea when dating it. American Walnut is usually darker.
A good indicator of age is presence or absence of plywood. Also the drawers can tell a lot. Pre WWI mostly by hand,
dovetailed. After that, a variety of different joints, usually with machines.
+1 for the top section.

Hi Ken, it doesn’t look much like walnut to me I’m afraid, sorry I can’t help with the date.
To me the most interesting part and what makes it is the top section, Ian
Thanks for your reply, why i thought it was American Walnut was because its a lighter than European Walnut and was used a lot on post War utility Furniture

Looks like the mouldings are machine made, so that should give you an idea when dating it. American Walnut is usually darker.
A good indicator of age is presence or absence of plywood. Also the drawers can tell a lot. Pre WWI mostly by hand,
dovetailed. After that, a variety of different joints, usually with machines.
+1 for the top section.
Thank you for replying, dovetails are machined but no ply on the back also no ply on back of mirrors ,just wondering if it could be made by Harris lebus.

Looks like my grandparents sort of stuff. 1900 ish? Wild guess - could be horse chestnut. Was widely used for cheap furniture in the past

Looks like my grandparents sort of stuff. 1900 ish? Wild guess - could be horse chestnut. Was widely used for cheap furniture in the past
Yes I was thinking 1940s or earlier to nice to throw in skip, will strip it back and apply clear wax oil to bring it up to date.

I doubt that the piece is either Walnut or 1940's utility furniture. Handles would have been made of wood and it's unlikely that locks would have been used. Additionally, 'decoration' (Ogee beading, fluting, piercing) was not used on 'utility' furniture, though there was some black market items with added ornamentation just post-war.

My feeling is that the item was more likely made in the 20's/30's from Paraná Pine and stained.

I doubt that the piece is either Walnut or 1940's utility furniture. Handles would have been made of wood and it's unlikely that locks would have been used. Additionally, 'decoration' (Ogee beading, fluting, piercing) was not used on 'utility' furniture, though there was some black market items with added ornamentation just post-war.

My feeling is that the item was more likely made in the 20's/30's from Paraná Pine and stained.
Thanks, I have stripped small section back to bare wood and it does look very much like pirana pine ,I'll be quite happy if it is this age,still has origin key which is a bonus.

Hi Ken The dresser was made in the early 1920's. The handles and fret work are Art Nouveau, inspired by the Aesthetic movement, you can see the influence of Charles Renee Mackintosh if you look closely. I'm not sure what the wood is but am sure it is not Walnut, possibly Birch!!

That's why I suggested Parana Pine.

If it has been 'stained', rather than varnished, getting back to truly bare wood might prove difficult but if it is Parana Pine then it would show pink streaks.

Thanks everyone for help and input, will post picture of sanded chest as soon as I can ,it'll be bank Holiday project

Looks like a fairly simple art and crafts type piece. circa 1880-1910. Scrollwork kinda dates it more than anything else.

hth

The design and colour looks very similar to a dressing table my wife has. It came from her Welsh aunts in North Wales and could well be from the 1920s or around then. It has 'candle burn' marks on it, reflecting the area the aunts lived in up in North Wales. But I digress.
We were always told it was made from 'lemon wood'. Certainly not any of the common timbers; not beech or pine or ash etc.
It is a very nice piece.
Cheers, Phil

The design and colour looks very similar to a dressing table my wife has. It came from her Welsh aunts in North Wales and could well be from the 1920s or around then. It has 'candle burn' marks on it, reflecting the area the aunts lived in up in North Wales. But I digress.
We were always told it was made from 'lemon wood'. Certainly not any of the common timbers; not beech or pine or ash etc.
It is a very nice piece.
Cheers, Phil
I have given the top the first quick sand and its come up like this, Pirana Pine, chestnut, Lemon wood, we can nail this today gents

Attachments

• 20210429_091006.jpg
    20210429_091006.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 39
  • 20210429_091047.jpg
    20210429_091047.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 38
I've not seen Lemonwood but the image on the 'Wood Database' shows it to be quite bland. I have worked Chestnut (not a lot) and feel that unlikely due to my experience of 'swirly' grain.

I do have a small stash of Parana Pine which came out of a sweet shop in the 50's (Shelving) and I'm most convinced by that.

It wouldn't surprise me if @Phil Russell were correct on the possibility of a Welsh connection.

Its looks Edwardian to me with Art Nouveau influenced handles. Circa 1905. I can't imagine they would use a cheap softwood although it resembles camphorwood. Was there a scent in the air when sanding !?

Back