Database for tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing wrong with using a spreadsheet like Excel, all you need are a few columns with say description, purchase info and cost.
If you are going to include cost you are getting in the excel formula area to hide the true cost from the wife 😀

If(cost > £200 then newcost = cost-£97, if(cost > £100 and < £200 then newcost = cost -£36 else cost-£6))

Something along those lines should keep you safe.

MS Word. Insert table with two, three, or more columns, plus a few rows.
  1. Left column: tool name in cell
  2. Second column: tool cost in cell to right of tool name
  3. Third column: information of your choice, e.g., date purchased.
List the tool name in the left column, press tab, add cost, tab again and add date purchased in the third column, tab again and it takes you to the next row down to the left column. Repeat exercise. When done, left click your cursor anywhere in the left column and select Sort A-Z. Job done. You can even add a simple sum at a cell at the bottom of the cost column to add up all your tool expense.

If you have duplicates, e.g., four cordless drills the same, all costing the same too, you might need an extra column to show that, or list each one individually in separate rows. Slainte.

My head hurts! Wouldn't it be easier to learn/use Excel? Tables in Word are an abomination. I'm very happy it works for you, but Drew, have a look at a spreadsheet (Google / Excel / whatever) before putting tables into MS Word.

(I'm an expert Excel user, but I think it's very easy to pick up the basics).

Hi all,
I need to get a hold of a piece of software to list my tools and gear. It's for two reasons really, one is for insurance purposes so I can list the tools and cost. The second is so I don't keep on duplicating purchases, it's happened a few times now and I'm getting fed up of giving someone else a bargain.

I like computers, but I would, like others have suggested, recommend a notebook organised in alphabetical order. It is then one least thing for hackers to get into on your computer and steal, then they would have a list of all your tools. Sometimes it is better to use old methods.

So many differing opinions.

+1 for Libre Office. A free MS Word and Excel look alike. I personally found the swap from MS's products very easy and you can always Google any feature you can't see. Why pay out your hard earned cash to wealthy Microsoft when you can have a programme designed to be freely available. And there is so much support available on't t'internet.

Why pay out your hard earned cash to wealthy Microsoft when you can go and buy another tool. 😉
Why pay out your hard earned cash to wealthy Microsoft when you can you can save that outlay and keep your missus happier. 😯🤗

Tables in Word! It's just the wrong tool in the wrong place. If one has MS Office then use Excel: it has been designed for that listing job (and lot more well). But everyone to their own I 'spose.

I use spreadsheets for loads of things. I might do my tools as well when I have a bit of spare time. It's just another bit of fun, so why not.
If I want to protect a document that has no need to be secure, I just mail it to myself from a server that retains copies.

My head hurts! Wouldn't it be easier to learn/use Excel? Tables in Word are an abomination.
Totally agree - Word is for 'writing' (though WordPerfect is a vastly superior tool for that) Excel is for calculation but is better than Access as a database :)

I've written quite a few Excel programs that use an Access database ranging from Employee training records to a calibration database and weld modification trackers. It's a pretty good combination as it allowed multiple users to read/write the database at the same time.

Gerry

This is becoming way too analytical for what is a simple process. It absolutely makes sense to record tool inventory and doing it electronically makes more sense if those tool numbers are significant, especially if you appropriate other collatable data like cost, serial numbers, etc.
Enter it into a spreadsheet, (any spreadsheet), print it out and keep the print out with your insurance details. You will likely need to read the two documents together anyhow to confirm your policy covers the items, their value and their location. Have that discussion with your insurer before you absolutely have to have that discussion with your insurer.

My head hurts! Wouldn't it be easier to learn/use Excel? Tables in Word are an abomination. I'm very happy it works for you ...
(I'm an expert Excel user, but I think it's very easy to pick up the basics).
I use both.

Word is a powerful tool for text, especially text requiring more advanced formatting and so on; I've created a lot of text documents over the years, some quite large and complex. Its table function is useful for some things, generally I admit, for listing and ordering, and it does have some basic or rudimentary mathematical functions. I use tables in Word quite frequently where they add useful information to the accompanying text. Tables are excellent at compiling lists such as bibliographies and reference sections that must be alphabetised; and I've got one or two large bibliographies, the largest of which contains nearly 500 entries. This next bit is irrelevant to the discussion here, I know, but Word has definite weaknesses such as being pretty poor at handling images, but Publisher can help out there at a push, and alternative programmes are substantially better for handling image heavy texts, e.g., InDesign used by publishers, and others.

Still, if all the OP needs is a simple list of, for example, tool name, cost, date purchased, maybe serial number, and so on, perhaps with a total in a cell at the bottom of the cost column, a table in Word might be be sufficient. I don't think Drew specified how complex his needs were, and if he did, I missed it.

I use Excel, as would be expected, primarily for undertaking calculations of one sort or another, e.g., for calculating dimensional change in wood as it responds to changes in atmospheric RH and moisture content, for calculating dihedral angles in polyhedra, and other calculations I find useful. I'm no great expert creating Excel spreadsheets, but I do find uses for it. I almost certainly wouldn't use it for a simple listing task as I described in the previous paragraph. Slainte.

Last edited:
Another vote for LibreOffice here.
I would add photos as well - esp of serial numbers - and then clearing it with the Insurance company before any claim. Also scans of receipts (password protected, of course :)!)

Latest posts

Back