Database for tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drew

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I need to get a hold of a piece of software to list my tools and gear. It's for two reasons really, one is for insurance purposes so I can list the tools and cost. The second is so I don't keep on duplicating purchases, it's happened a few times now and I'm getting fed up of giving someone else a bargain.

Libre Office Calc, open source free spreadsheet software.

Or there's the Microsoft paid equivalent, Excel.

For database software, Libre Office Base or Microsoft Access.

Three things come to mind:
1) Really?
2) If “yes”, I think the problem is not one that is ultimately solved with software. But could be solved with what used to be know as a “list”, electronic or on paper, whichever...
3) Thank you for support the manufacturing sector, we love you.

Aidan

#1 is a really good idea because you will never remember what you have after it has been pinched or burned up.
Now I just need the wife to create the spreadsheet so I can fill it out. I'm useless at that.

Pete

Any spreadsheet will do what you want, in all honesty if you need something beyond a spreadsheet to log your tools you should probably get someone in your warehouse department to take on that challenge.

It makes sense to do it for insurance purposes, I suspect it will surprise most people when they add up their tool replacement costs and as already noted, you will likely never remember it all. Just remember to log serial numbers as well.

If you have an iPhone you will get Numbers as an app you can use on your pc/Mac , it’s excel for free.
Just log into iCloud.
Also handy as when you are out and about, you can open it up (NOTE: spreadsheets are not the easiest thing to hunt about in when using a iPhone sized device, but it can be done)

Last edited:
+1 for the trusty notebook and pen(cil).
A simple list, with serial numbers, including new purchase price and
conservative second hand value. Perhaps also date purchased.
This is really something I should do, while recommending it to others
😂:unsure:

I need to get a hold of a piece of software to list my tools and gear.
MS Word. Insert table with two, three, or more columns, plus a few rows.
  1. Left column: tool name in cell
  2. Second column: tool cost in cell to right of tool name
  3. Third column: information of your choice, e.g., date purchased.
List the tool name in the left column, press tab, add cost, tab again and add date purchased in the third column, tab again and it takes you to the next row down to the left column. Repeat exercise. When done, left click your cursor anywhere in the left column and select Sort A-Z. Job done. You can even add a simple sum at a cell at the bottom of the cost column to add up all your tool expense.

If you have duplicates, e.g., four cordless drills the same, all costing the same too, you might need an extra column to show that, or list each one individually in separate rows. Slainte.

Don't let Bill Gates know there is someone in the world who doesn't have Excel!!
Worth taking photos as well.
Worth doing for jewellery and other household valuables. We got burgled many years ago and it was difficult to produce a definitive list of what had been stolen

Obvious statement I know but make sure your eventual document (whatever format you choose) is not saved in one location, i.e. if it's electronic don't just keep it on one laptop. In the event that you need to involve your insurers, there is a fighting chance you may be in the situation that the very same laptop may form part of the claim.

I use Excel to list my tools in various columns. I found it makes absolutely no difference to whether I buy duplicate tools or not - especially antique tools. For instance I have 11 infill smoothers - most of which I rarely, if ever, use. Yes, I am in need of help but I don't CARE.

Google sheets. It's excel but free and its cloud based so you can't lose stuff!

I've recently catalogued all my power tools and machines on a simple spreadsheet and each item has a link to a photograph. I was amazed at how much 'stuff' I'd accumulated. Next phase is to add the hand tools and put some values
Brian

Obvious statement I know but make sure your eventual document (whatever format you choose) is not saved in one location, i.e. if it's electronic don't just keep it on one laptop. In the event that you need to involve your insurers, there is a fighting chance you may be in the situation that the very same laptop may form part of the claim.

You can keep it in the cloud if you are comfortable with it. If not get a couple USB thumb drives and back it all to them. Keep one stashed somewhere away from the computer stuff and the second at a friend or relative's and if everyone hates you have your insurance agent put it in your file. Update it every few months with the new stuff and old stuff you got rid of.

Pete. Another that should follow their own advise. ;)

Latest posts

Back