Dado blade - UNI EN847 COMPLIANT and legal in the EU

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dado blades per say are not illegal in uk. Proviso is that the saw must be capable to use the dado stack within the safety parameters set by HSE.
ie, stops within 10 secs, has suitable arbor, can be accommodated with safety guards fitted and working correctly etc.

You can have an overhead crown guard, and the driving knife set 1mm below blade height possibly!

Just how thick would the riving knife need to be? A video of a legitimate setup would be revealing,if it can be created.

You can have an overhead crown guard, and the driving knife set 1mm below blade height possibly!

Just how thick would the riving knife need to be? A video of a legitimate setup would be revealing,if it can be created.
Why would you need a riving knife cutting dados?

Perhaps so, perhaps not.
Seems a few commercial overhead guards aren't intended for such, some of them freely can be moved, so not much good, but possibly only to merely suggest sheet goods from buckling,
but not stop it from happening, along with being helpful to stop debris from flying.
I'd like to be proved wrong about that, and the likes of the fancier SUVA (of which design type being loosely suggested in the HSE advice)
or the new Axi/Harvey one actually can be stiffened up to some standard/or suggestion,
and infact is as solid as on ScottyT's Robinson.
(well, maybe not sledgehammer solid, but rigid enough)
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads/robinson-et-e-saw.146266/#post-1714989
The difference being, that the wheels could suggest the intention, should it be the case of the Harvey, or the numerous types of very similar guard on modern day panelsaws,
whether some/ or all, actually can be used in place of a Shaw type guard or not might indeed be up for debate, I'd like to know,
as that I believe something which holds the work down is seemingly the requirement for non through cuts, if Roy Sutton's video is anything to go by.

Keen to see if someone knows this, as I still haven't decided which type is the best,
if indeed it might be considered safe atall,
and if not, is the Shaw guards below, considered a guard? :dunno:
Screenshot-2022-9-30 Safe Wood Machining by Roy Sutton - YouTube(1).png

You are cutting a trench so what is a riving knife needed for. They are never used with dado blades. I have had a set for about 15 years. My old saw has the guard on the splitter so that has to come off as it also has with cuts that do not come all the way through the wood. I use the dado with either a sled or using jigs ( miter corner keys) so hands are not in the danger zone.
As has been said they should only be used on saws that are made to take them. It will have a long thread on the arbor if it is. If not then you cant fit the blade stack anyhow. There is a safer option as in wide kerf blades that make a 6mm cut and they should fit most saws. If your trench is wider than that then you take another cut. Riving knife/splitter not going to do anything with this one either. I think overall the wide kerf blade is the better way to go as messing about with blades and shims to get the width you want can be a fiddle.
Regards
John

I have no doubt that it is possible to use the device without a riving knife,my interest is whether doing so in a workshop with employees is frowned upon by the HSE.In the dim and distant past I have seen them used on a radial arm saw,but I wouldn't expect to see it now.

Its is totally impossible for a riving knife to be doing any good when a dado stack is being used. The 2 items just dont work together. As to having employees using any equipment it's up to the employer to follow the current regulations for whatever jurisdiction they operate in. This being a woodwork forum for mainly weekend warriors in sheds it's not up to us to hand out that kind of advice.
Regards
John

I agree about the riving knife is doing nothing in reality, as it needs to be set below blade height.
But if set below, then it's there, even if it's not doing anything.

Yes the HSE is commercial rules, advice and guidance, but still handy to be aware of what they say fir knowledge. Not suggesting for one minute we are trying to tell others what to do or not do.

Thus is purely information and awareness raising.

Just how thick would the riving knife need to be?
You only need a riving knife when cutting through the wood, a dado is only partial so as Orraloon has said

Its is totally impossible for a riving knife to be doing any good when a dado stack is being used.

Why the desire for a dado stack, the router table or spindle can make dados and in a safer way and is the fascination because of old Norm !

According to the HSE a riving knife also acts as a back guard. I know if using a dado blade the riving knife isn't doing anything (and might only be sticking 5mm out above the table) but you might as well use it if you can.

You only need a riving knife when cutting through the wood, a dado is only partial so as Orraloon has said

Why the desire for a dado stack, the router table or spindle can make dados and in a safer way and is the fascination because of old Norm !
Never used a spindle moulder but my dado stack does a trench in one pass and its nice and clean cut. Its easier than using the router. Also as the router table has no crown guard, how is it safer? That said these days there is a safer option as I mentioned earlier.

Torquata Flat-Top Dado Blade | Circular Saw Blade | 203 x 16mm

Back when I got the dado stack these wide kerf blades were not around so I keep using the dado as I have it. If I were doing things over thats how I would go now. They also cost a whole lot less than a dado stack.
Regards
John

Didn't know of these, bit expensive in the UK (I have found huge variance online, but probably £200 or more) but this video does interest me!

I bought this model dado cmt 8inch dado when first released and due to it being new product saw no videos of it being used online . I use mine on a 60,s old school saw where the shaft on motor is long enough. I paid premium price and waited 6 months before they had it in store to send to me . It was well worth the wait as it takes the stress out of the blades touching . Beautiful clean cuts . I highly recommend it and one note to remember make sure that you have enough motor shaft length to accept it and as some saws will accept the dado but you loose the large washer on the outside and it uses the nut only to lock down. Also take a digital print of the different setups and enlarge it and laminate it to hang next to your saw for easy setup. Great video btw
I have no doubt that it is possible to use the device without a riving knife,my interest is whether doing so in a workshop with employees is frowned upon by the HSE.In the dim and distant past I have seen them used on a radial arm saw,but I wouldn't expect to see it now.
I remember reading one time that when using radial saws in the workshop one person was dedicated to using the radials only . Can the same not be said for the stack dado in workshop. . Unless trained to use them in the workplace employers should enforce that for the safety of staff. They ain't toys . And if you have an accident with the dado there's no going back. Stay safe

It is were me, I’d look at mounting a spindle moulder groover in the saw rather than a dado stack. These have limiters so the damage it can do to you is reduced.
I occasionally use a groover in my Radial arm saw when the cut can’t be done on the spindle. The cut quality will be far superior to a dado stack, and IMO safer.
Price, probably similar for a variable width groover as a dado blade.

It is were me, I’d look at mounting a spindle moulder groover in the saw rather than a dado stack. These have limiters so the damage it can do to you is reduced.
I occasionally use a groover in my Radial arm saw when the cut can’t be done on the spindle. The cut quality will be far superior to a dado stack, and IMO safer.
Price, probably similar for a variable width groover as a dado blade.
Deema , there is a restriction on my saw in that the minimum blade is 8 inches due to the mechanism for the blade. Do spindle moulding grovers come in 8 inch ?? I have a set from where I worked making pvc windows and are only 4 inch or close to it

Deema , there is a restriction on my saw in that the minimum blade is 8 inches due to the mechanism for the blade. Do spindle moulding grovers come in 8 inch ?? I have a set from where I worked making pvc windows and are only 4 inch or close to it
I might be wrong, but check how high the spindle will come up, ie depth under the table. Usually they will fit. The minimum saw diameter is usually defined by the peripheral speed if the teeth. Ie smaller diameter and they don’t rotate fast enough. Grover’s sent that fussy

Latest posts

Back