Cutting Semi-Circular Grooves

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Kev.

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I've recently bought the Veritas bar gauge set and thought it would be a good exercise to try to make a tailor made box to house it. The set consists of 8 mm diameter bars and other bits of various shapes and sizes. My initial thought is to use a router plane to cut 9 or 10 mm grooves. Given that the bars are circular in cross section, I thought that the next step would be to take a gouge to the grooves to give them a semi- circular cross section.

If a gouge is indeed the right thing to use, can anybody recommend a make, model and size? I appreciate that somebody might have a much better method of doing this than what I've just written and suggestions will be gladly accepted. I want to avoid using electric tools.

Thanks in advance.

Andy Kev.":zuu4tmk4 said:
I've recently bought the Veritas bar gauge set and thought it would be a good exercise to try to make a tailor made box to house it. The set consists of 8 mm diameter bars and other bits of various shapes and sizes. My initial thought is to use a router plane to cut 9 or 10 mm grooves. Given that the bars are circular in cross section, I thought that the next step would be to take a gouge to the grooves to give them a semi- circular cross section.

If a gouge is indeed the right thing to use, can anybody recommend a make, model and size? I appreciate that somebody might have a much better method of doing this than what I've just written and suggestions will be gladly accepted. I want to avoid using electric tools.

Thanks in advance.

If you want to do this with hand tools then use a Stanley 66 or a shop-made scratch.

Do the grooves really need to be semicircular? An ordinary plough plane would give you a suitable square bottomed groove which would hold your bars snugly.

You could use a fluting blade in a combi plane if you really wanted, or else just carve them with a gouge if you like. Roy Underhill does some freehand fluting on a pine cupboard using a flexible paring gouge but I can't find the link just now.

Why not just grind a plough blade to the radius of the bars if you are really set on having a semicircular grove, but as stated above a flat bottomed grove would be fine.

Matt

I agree with Andy, except I would go for 'V' grooves. I have a problem with accessory, and tool cases, close fitting recesses always seem to get full of bits etc..
xy

CStanford":31yi9vcy said:
If you want to do this with hand tools then use a Stanley 66 or a shop-made scratch.

I second the scratch stock idea, cheapest easiest way.

Thanks for the replies and ideas. I think I'll get a bit of scrap and cut some rectangular and some V grooves to see how they are and I'll play about with a scratch stock a bit.

Undergroundhunter: that's a clever idea about grinding a plough blade but I haven't got a grinder and as I'm a relative beginner I'll stick with the simpler suggestions for the moment.

Andy Kev.":b4hm00io said:
Undergroundhunter: that's a clever idea about grinding a plough blade but I haven't got a grinder and as I'm a relative beginner I'll stick with the simpler suggestions for the moment.

Fair comment, thinking about it I would only do that if I had a lot of groves to make probably not just for one job, for this I would use the scratch stock.

Matt

Back