Bosch 12V circular saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajs

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any opinions on these? Primary motivation is initial cutting up of sheet to a manageable size, I figure I can cut on the floor atop a few battens. Most of my stuff is 12mm ply or less, occasionally 18mm for bench tops, although with a guide rail if it can be used for semi-finished surfaces that would be a useful bonus. I'm not too concerned by battery life, I can't imagine cutting more than perhaps 10m in a session. I'm drawn to this one in particular because I already have a Bosch 12V drill and the guide rail adapter looks a useful feature. It is of course a bit spendy compared to some of the off brands (undecided between full kit and bare + L-BOXX at present) and the "expensive toy" thing keeps crossing my mind but equally I'm realistic about my requirements, I wouldn't want this to cut thick timber section.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00J8LANWM/

I have a brushed 18v bosch.
It's handy for quick cuts, slice n dice working on the workmate in the garden without having to pull out an extension cable.
I use it to chop up all sorts of scrap wood so that I can fit it in the car and take to the dump.
I'd always get the proper tracksaw out for anything important - it runs a much better blade and has more power and a better base.
My concern is that circ saws are inherently inefficient. I'd be concerned that 12V just isn't up to this type of tool. Manufacturers will make anything that they think will sell. That doesn't mean they are very good. And don't even think about using it with a 2 or 3Ah battery. Too small. It's not about runtime, it's that they can't deliver enough power.

You really need to be able to try before you buy or be 100% sure you have the option to return it after making some test cuts.

Yep I’ve got one. Use it very infrequently. Only used it for cross cutting boards.
It has always seemed really underpowered. I only have 3ah batteries though, not convinced a larger capacity would help it.
Probably just a bit better than the “expensive toy” bracket. If / when it dies I would not replace it.

with limited personal experience I've always got the impression that circular saws are really power hungry and if you can you'll get a better experience with a cable, if not a good 18v model and a large capacity battery.

I inherited an older model parkside (lidl) 18v saw and using it recently trying to rip cut a post, taking several passes with a small bite was just painful. I ran out a cable and completed the job with my cheap, cabled evolution brand circular saw and it was a really easy cut.

Having seen one of these in use by someone cutting floorboards, it did sound like it struggled a bit. That said, looking at the reviews on Amazon, it can cope with 18mm - just. I think the key think you’ll want to ensure is you choose/have high capacity batteries (6ah).

By comparison, if you look at 18v angle grinder reviews, the battery capacity makes a big difference as to how much power they have. I think the same would be the case here.

I wouldn’t get it with the 2.5ah batteries though.

The only bit of Milwaukee I've seen that wasn't good was an 18v circular saw, the one with the fixed base. It belonged to my neighbour, the base was way out of square and of course being fixed couldn't be squared up. He was going to return it but spilled a can of gloss paint on it.

I have one and think it’s one of those ‘really handy when needed but not needed very often’ tools.
I’ve mostly used it for breaking down stuff to go in the car and quick jobs away from the workshop when I can’t be bothered to carry a bigger mains powered saw and extension cables about.
I don’t have the official track and instead just run it along a straight edge if it’s something critical.
Mines in an L-Boxx which IMHO isn’t worth it as it takes up far too much space.

I have one and think it’s one of those ‘really handy when needed but not needed very often’ tools.
I’ve mostly used it for breaking down stuff to go in the car and quick jobs away from the workshop when I can’t be bothered to carry a bigger mains powered saw and extension cables about.
I don’t have the official track and instead just run it along a straight edge if it’s something critical.
Mines in an L-Boxx which IMHO isn’t worth it as it takes up far too much space.
Basically copy that.

I have a pretty full range of 12v Bosch stuff and they all get used for odd jobs - I rate them.

I would say the circular saw is not really a replacement for something beefier (I have a 18v DeWalt that is used for rough stuff and a 18v Festool for a guide rail and a heavy duty corded one. But the 12v Bosch is really handy for smaller tasks. It is comparatively efficient because it has a very thin blade.

Cheers

Sorry, can't comment on Bosch, or specifically circular saws, but my experience with the Milwaukee 12v Jigsaw is that it is underpowered for 3/4" baltic birch. It'll do the job, but it's not fun using it. I would expect a circular saw to probably be even worse.

Back