Cutting bottom off doors

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We are into mechanics here!
Torque is a twisting force.
A twisting force of 1lb applied at a radius of 1ft gives 1lbft
At a radius of 2ft gives 2lbft etc etc.

The Yankees uses a push action which generates an incremental torque as the handle is pushed down.
So in this case the longer the handle the more torque is generated.
In the "locked" state the Yankee's torque is only dependent on the twisting force applied at the handle - the bigger the handle ( and therefore the radius) the greater the torque.
Clamp a Molewrench to a screwdriver and you can generate a tremendous torque :)

Rod

What have I done hehe. Sorry OP.

I stick by what I said as I have used stubby screw drivers with the same size of handle that ones that 4x its length and the 4x its length feels to generate more power and got the job done where as the stubby did nothing. Same shaft diameter and sized tip screwdriver.

I was always tort that the longer the shaft the more torque, wrong word or not its meaning/method/idea has always proven true in my experience.

Yes to long screwdrivers being more effective. I think it's because they are easier to keep at a precise angle which helps avoid slipping out of the slot.
Yes to tighten first - just a touch to break the seal but if you damage the slot you still have a chance going the other way to loosen it. A dab of heat helps too; blow lamp, or soldering iron if you want to be very tidy.

Jacob":3e03l6lh said:
Yes to long screwdrivers being more effective. I think it's because they are easier to keep at a precise angle which helps avoid slipping out of the slot.
I agree ... as I said
I think it's because with a large long driver it's easier to keep it straight in the slot whilst applying force.
Jacob":3e03l6lh said:
Yes to tighten first - just a touch to break the seal but if you damage the slot you still have a chance going the other way to loosen it. A dab of heat helps too; blow lamp, or soldering iron if you want to be very tidy.
All very well if there are any slots left. A few of the 18 have goodish slots many are completely messed up. I'll get them out okay - just gonna be a fight :)

Spoke to a carpet fitter this morning about another job and just out of interest asked about door trimming. Apparently this is what they use, quick, accurate and no mess.
janser-flex-door-trimmer-rws130a-402-p.jpg

... £500 + :shock:

I've started get the screws out :)

One other suggestion w.r.t removing hinges - use as large a soldering iron (or a red hot metal poker if that's possible0 to apply heat to the top of any stuck screws. It seems to help :)

Don't think there has ever been a satisfactory explanation of the observation that longer screwdrivers seem to apply more torque. Have read all sorts of biomechanical explanations to do with accuracy of location, use of different muscle groups etc. etc., and it always seems that whatever one is favoured, someone comes along to disprove it!

Didnt the old tradesmen use vaseline for this very reason so you could get the screws out after a long time

If you put a large handle on a small screwdriver then you would be able to tighten just as much, it is just a matter of size.........Oh! Matron....

[clears throat nervously]

I have a long electrician's screwdriver, It works so well that when I thought I'd lost it for good recently I tried everywhere to find another. I couldn't (by about 15mm), but happily I found the original again.

Of course they don't create more torque... or do they?

The thing is, it's not the screwdriver but the wrist and forearm that produce the torque. If the shaft of the driver is long, it's a lot easier to keep it squared up to the head of the screw as you turn it. This means you can apply more torque with confidence. I reckon there's also a bit of spring in it too, which helps.

So I don't know why long screwdrivers work better, but I'm confident that they do, even when they're electric ones.

Weird really.

E.

More torque -No - as has been described already

Easier to grip, adjust angle and otherwise "get hold of" leading to happy warm feeling that it works better - Yes

I think this is a bit of a circular argument.

People say that they don't create more torque. Maybe not. But, without question, they do allow a screw to be tightened with more torque. So a longer screwdriver gives more torque.

I think Eric is spot on.

Really giving a screwdriver some welly often means you sacrifice some control. If your hand drifts a centimetre of target with a short screwdriver you create a significant angle, and jump out of the screwhead. With a long screw driver the same 1cm creates a much smaller angle, keeping you reasonably well engaged.

I also think that if you really bear down on the shaft of a long screwdriver, it will flex and the spring created gives you a bit of 'suspension' so that if you back of a bit you remain well engaged in the screw head.

AndyT":4iqp3bql said:
A quick search confirmed that there is a special tool for this - the Janser Door Trimmer - but they seem to be £300 so may not be worth it unless you want to take up door trimming professionally. I did also find an outfit doing just door trimming as a standalone service, but based in Dorset, and not covering Essex.
Yebbut he's pretty expensive even if you live just down the road!

RogerP said:
Spoke to a carpet fitter this morning about another job and just out of interest asked about door trimming. Apparently this is what they use, quick, accurate and no mess.
janser-flex-door-trimmer-rws130a-402-p.jpg
quote]
I use a Janser type doorsaw, these biscuit jointer based ones don't have the depth of cut for some doors and unless it is run along a flat floor or some sort of plate, its tricky to get a straight cut.
chris

I am having my floor tiled as we speak, I had to take the door off for the contractor, not because there was nil clearance below he just wanted it out of the way to move around the kitchen easier.

The screws were in tight but a firm tap with a hammer and old screwdriver breaks the seals and they came out easily enough. Just applu plenty of pressure and turn slowly so not to strip the slot too much.

Hope it goes well, my kitchen will be out of action for another couple of weeks, evertyhing that can go wrong has gone wrong....broken light fittings, leaking mixer tap seized stop cock, perpetually cracking newly plastered ceilling........the list goes on.

David

For my tuppence worth as others have said scrape out tap and twist! Back in the day when i was an apprentice before cordlesses we were told to grease the screws so our yankees could get them in without the screws heating up too much and snapping not so they would come out easier. an as long as the handle is big enough an you can get decent preasure it doesnt realy matter on the length of the driver(i think).

Back