Cutting a shape advice please.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calv

Established Member
Reaction score
Excuse me if this sounds like the most basic question ever, but i'm not exactly the world most proficient wordworker! :oops:

I use a lot of small pieces of wood, pine to be exact shaped like an arched door (church like). Up until now i have cut these with a jigsaw, usualy up to 50-100 at a time. The problem i have though is that i cut the first side of the arch in the usualy curve with a jisaw, however when i cut the opposite side it's not always 100% symetrical if you see what i mean.

It might only be slightly out but it makes a difference when you look at it. Now this can be sorted with a little cutting and sanding, but when i'm maybe having to do this to the majority of the arches i cut, it's a pain and not productive. By the way i do cut round an arched template which is definately symertical, i think maybe i'm needing more practice at cutting curves! :?

Any suggestions? Are there places that will pre-cut wooden shapes on a machine so i have'nt got this chore to worry about?

Thanks for any advice,

Calv.

What about creating a jig to use a router with flushing cutter?
You cut close to the line with the jigsaw then use the router to trim the shape following a template.

Hello Calv and welcome,

however when i cut the opposite side it's not always 100% symetrical if you see what i mean.

Not quite sure what you mean. Is it that the cut through the thickness starts off at 90° but progressively slants one way or the other?.

If so then its unfortunately a common problem with jigsaws. The choice of blade can help a lot to reduce the effect but may not always eliminate it. A bandsaw though should not show this effect. If you do a lot of this sort of cutting, a bandsaw might be a useful investment.

If I've missed your point, then sorry! :)

cheers,

Ike

i would suggest the best idea would be to make a pattern for the one
side, and then flip this to join the other side.

do not try to make a jig for both sides, only one, then you will
have the same shape on both sides.

use double sided tape to hold it in place.
paul :wink:

Jigsaws can be as awkward as hell if you are trying to get a good perpendicular cut, Bandsaw and above mentioned template. The job willbe quicker and more accurate. If you do go down the bandsaw route, ensure that the size of the blade is appropriate for the diameter of the radius you are cutting. You can also get bandsaws with dedicated circle/radius cutting accessories.
Decklan.

Back