Countertop for undermount basin

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LadyInThisDress

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!

I am considering having an undermounted basin and wondered what are my options for the counter top under which the basin might be mounted.

I have a local wood shop that can supply 22mm thick pine for worktops. A piece 1m x 400 would be £30.

If I bought that, stained it a colour of my choice then used satin yacht varnish, would that make the countertop waterproof?

Is there some other kind of countertop I can use that won't require all that staining and varnishing? (I thought of quartz but have been quoted £750 - - too much!)

This is the kind of thing ...

http://www.bathdisc.co.uk/product_info. ... ts_id=5014

Thank you.

I really would not go with pine, You could get away with a hardwood as your application is no different to a butlers kitchen sink.

As for coating it then a good exterior varnish, melamine lacquer or Rustins Plastic Coating would be quite durable. You could also apply several coats of oil like danish oil or one of teh Osmo products.

I think they were having you on a bit with the quartz, try another quote. You could also get a natural stone like granite, slate, linestone for less than the £750. Other options would be a thick glass or a solid surface material such as Corian

Jason

I wouldn't go down the tiling route Helena. We have just removed our kitchen which was tiled worktop and it was a mess. Any moisture that gets under it will buckle the tiles and crack the grout and will eventually end up with a hygene hazard. HTH. :wink:

Tiled tops don't work with underbount sinks, the edge detail would be very messy and hard to waterproof. Better to tile ontop a tilebacker board.

Assuming this is for a bathroom then tiling is not such a hygine issue as it would be in a bathroom, I've done several with tiles but used inset or vestle basins

You could probably pick up a reasonably priced bit of hardwood worktop from the likes of Ikea

Jason

Back