My first workshed and my new workshop basework

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
aint ur nice shead going to make it a pain in the ass to cut the headge ???very nice shead thou 8)

The hedge can get trimmed back some more :wink:

Roof is going on...

img2108.jpg

img2109w.jpg

Felting and glazing next.

img2112q.jpg

All done.

img2113j.jpg

Looks a nice,tidy job :D

Now all you need to do is fill it up until you can't move to do anything,and it'll be like nearly everyone elses.. :wink:

Andrew

I have 3 other workshop/sheds and a 36ft garage that have all become "storerooms" well no room to work in them.

My next problem is that the wife took one look at it and hates it, ugly thing!
So its compromise time, she wants a "bit of room" in which to prepare barbeques in the summer and a decked area outside. I was always going to deck an area outside it as I need to get up to the level to be able to enter the shop without a pair of steps :wink:

I also have some spare double glazed units so it looks like one of those may end up in the place of the 4 windows next to the door. Tempted to raise the roof by changing the angle some on the house side while I'm at it, doesnt look too hard to do, time to have a measure.

I can see this workshop becoming my labour for the summer at this rate.

Bad weather stopped play on the workshop for the moment. It will be getting a coat of something before the summer is out thats for sure.

I offered up a large double glazed unit to the side where the 2ft windows are and it looked ok so some cutting and framing to do there soon as the weather is nicer.

Its well over 100ft to the house from the workshop and I need to run a SWA cable from the house yet, plus wire the place out.

Managed to move a few boxes of "stuff" into it so I can see the lathe and welder in my old shop again, finally was able to weld up the grass box for the mower :roll:

I have a "job list" that for some reason just keeps getting longer, real work keeps getting in the way!

I could do with some recommendations please from those here in the know as to how to treat the outside of my workshop and the deck which is going down over the holiday weekend.
Water based or Spirit based treatment?

I was looking at Cuprinol Timbercare or Ducksback but both of these say for rough sawn where my timber is all prepared.
Are you just paying for the name with Cuprinol? is B&Q or Homebase own treatment a reasonable alternative I wonder.
As for colour I would like to keep as light as possible so Golden oak or harvest gold look to be ok.

Ideas please...

I have used Cuprinol and it seemed to be a bit like paint, the colour didn't allow the wood grain to show through. I have also used Sadolin that was more like a protective stain and that was better. Both were a green colour. If you want a natural finish I would look at the Sadolin web site.

Not cheap though.

http://www.sadolin.co.uk/

I recently coated my wifes workshop, it's a log cabin at the bottom of our garden, using the Cuprinol sprayer, it was fast but clogged up lots and had I not had an airline I could not have unclogged it on one occasion.

Good luck

Mick

Thanks for the reply, I will sideline the exterior treatment till later in the summer, as you say, expensive. Hopefully neighbours will be treating their buildings and I can sample their solutions to see whats best for my needs.

Moving on to fitting out the inside now, I want to line the walls inside so I can fit my racks and any other wall mounted kit.

I have several local choices for sheet material.

9mm 8x4 mdf @ £11.67
18mm @ £14.05

18mm chip @ £12.36

or Elliotis Pine Shutter ply
9mm 8x4 @ 10.06
18mm @ £16.68

I can pick up the studs or add extras before lining for anything heavy wall mounted so I'm looking towards 9mm mdf as a nice clean looking wall facing.
What would you choose?

Are you going to paint the inside or leave it with the sheet good finish? If you plan to paint it then I would go for OSB or ply. MDF will look great bit isn't best for taking a screw if you happen to miss a stud, and will soon be messy with screw holes. OSB or ply will take a screw much better and you won't need to guarantee to hit a stud for the lighter things (obviously heavy load bearing shelves will nee the studs.

I am no expert, and I'm sure others will be along soon, but this would be my thought.

Cheers

Mark

aint osb normally cheaper than ply too...

i usually use 1/2inch i think...

you gonna insulate behind it too...

Hmmm, hadnt considered osb as I didnt want to paint inside and osb looks a little cheap :oops:

Elliotis Pine Shutter ply
9mm 8x4 @ £10.06

Is the same price as 11mm osb per sheet, as long as its "one side good" maybe that would do.

I hadnt considered insulation as its got a breathable membrane inside already and I would I think need an air gap between it and any insulation meaning spacing the inner lining even further away (workshop getting smaller!) Plus I would need to also do the floor and roof then to make a difference, doubling the price of the shop by the time I finished :(

OSB does look cheap on its own, but with a nice coat of whitewash you get a cheap, strong wall covering and your shop will be nice and bright inside. But if the ply is the same price then go with that I guess.

There is another post on recently here where someone has mentioned shutter ply and how it's barely good enough for firewood, so be careful with that and make sure you check the quality of it.

Cheers

Mark

erm I really do suggest you paint the inside white. Use masonry paint on the OSB. It comes up really nice and brightens the workshop up. The light bounces around much better.

Oldman, when you put the wall covering up, rout a small "v" groove in line with the studding. This will ensure you know where they are to hang your cupboards.

Regarding the exterior finish, I favour spirit based treatment because it is absorbed into the timber whereas the water based ones seem to be like an emulsion that 'sits' on the surface of the timber.

All of my timber natural finish buildings are dipped in a product called BARRETTINE, Summer Tan is the colour although you can get half a dozen other colours.

Another good thing about Barrettine is its extremely low viscosity - it will even spray from a Mr Muscle trigger bottle - very quick and easy (and no cleaning up, just throw it in the bin!)

www.barrettine.co.uk or PM me if you need more info

Chris

Chris By The River":jtbcm3uj said:
Regarding the exterior finish, I favour spirit based treatment because it is absorbed into the timber whereas the water based ones seem to be like an emulsion that 'sits' on the surface of the timber.

All of my timber natural finish buildings are dipped in a product called BARRETTINE, Summer Tan is the colour although you can get half a dozen other colours.

Another good thing about Barrettine is its extremely low viscosity - it will even spray from a Mr Muscle trigger bottle - very quick and easy (and no cleaning up, just throw it in the bin!)

www.barrettine.co.uk or PM me if you need more info

Chris

How does the Barrenttine compare with Sadolin for cost?

I prefer the look of the finish that is soaked up by the wood and leaves the grain showing.

Mick

Mick,

I sell Barrettine WOOD PRESERVER for £25 retail (it is only available in 5ltr cans), £20 to past customers. This is NOT Shed and Fence treatment - sorry, i should have made that clear before.

5ltr's will normally treat a standard 8 x 6 shed 4 to 5 times

I think that fairs quite well against Sadolin.

Chris

Back