Correct finish for the job?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodypk

Established Member
Reaction score
Evening all,

I’m happy to admit that I’m quite a newb when it comes to wood finishes. I can get by, but I tend to stick with the ones I often use and don’t stray unless I need to.

I’d like to know if anyone can recommend any light bedtime reading (online articles preferred) where I can learn more about what finishes are required for what type of jobs - more specifically, which finish should be used depending on what the finished piece will be used for. I’d like to know so I can refer to it should I get a project in the future that I’ve not tackled before.

One example I have - I’ve been asked to build a couple of children’s step stools for a family member. I’ve been asked if the sides can be painted and so these will be made from some pine furniture boards I have left over, but the sister in law wants the steps themselves made from oak so they match other furniture in the house. When I asked her, she said she’d like the oak as light as possible, so any finishes that retain the lightness of the wood without darkening it too much would be preferred.

The steps will see a lot of foot traffic and of course general abuse from rowdy kids, so the finish will need to be able to deal with that.

Does anyone know the perfect finish for the job? Needs to be child friendly once dry but also able to withstand the kinds of stuff a small child will throw at it.

Cheers.

I recently experimented with Rubio Monocoat 2c, a hard wax oil. Super easy to use and cures to a very hard wearing surface. The "pure" version is colourless but does bring our the grain without darkening much. I can't use it for my project because of the " not beyond 180 grit" surface sanding limitation. But that should be ok for your needs.

Thanks for the reply, Beatsy.

I had looked at the Rubio Monocoat but it seems damn expensive compared to the likes of Osmo and the rest.

The blurb does seem to suggest it’s a good finish and pretty hardwearing but is it that much more hardwearing than Osmo Polyx for the money? Is it worth over twice the price would you say (if you’ve used Osmo in the past)?

It is expensive, but it goes a heck of a long way! One little sample bottle should do a couple of moderate-sized step stools with ease, and some left over. You don't need the hardener - just wait longer for full cure. But it is claimed (and reported) that the finish is a bit tougher if hardener is used.

I haven't used Osmo. The finish on Rubio was a bit too far on the matt side of satin for my tastes. Nice feel in the hand though. Sanding to a much higher grit improves that no end, I got loads of gloss that way, but I don't know what effect it has on adhesion and/or wearing. I tried their universal oil on top too. That adds shine but no extra glossiness to go with it. That just obscures the wood grain (more). So I passed on it for the application I had in mind...

But it's still impressive and I'll use what I have left on projects where satin/gloss and clearly visible grain is less important than overall protection.

Back