New wax finish needed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stigmorgan

Established Member
Reaction score
So I've just finished my tin of wax
20240126_145958.jpg
Unfortunately Yandles no longer have their own brand of finishes, this 400g tin has lasted 2 years and I love the look and feel of the finish it gives, I've used briwax and don't like the feel of the finish at all and the sheen doesnt look as good, yandles have suggested Hampshire sheen, my tight pursestrings are screaming at it being only 120g for similar to what I paid for the 400g yandles brand, is it worth the extra cost or can someone recommend something else? I'm not a brand chaser so not concerned who makes it, just want something that looks and feels great for a decent cost. I bought a 400g tin of Yandles abrasive paste at the same time as the wax and still have 1/2 a tin, it's also good as a finish on its own but I don't use it on things with natural/bark surfaces so I'm not having to try clean off the excess.

I tried briwax when I started and it seemed too soft, marks easily with handling.

The 2 main turning wax brands are Hampshire sheen and Chestnut, both have a range of products. . Chestnut have a very informative website. If you are using a sanding sealer first, waxes can be applied thinly so it goes a very long way.

Prices of all such things have gone up lots in the last couple of years.

I tried briwax when I started and it seemed too soft, marks easily with handling.

The 2 main turning wax brands are Hampshire sheen and Chestnut, both have a range of products. . Chestnut have a very informative website. If you are using a sanding sealer first, waxes can be applied thinly so it goes a very long way.

Prices of all such things have gone up lots in the last couple of years.
100%, the briwax I have is extremely soft in the tin at these winter temps, it's almost liquid in the summer , the Yandles stuff is still firm in the summer, the difference on wood is night and day too, the dragon eggs I'm doing at the minute for example, the yandles wax feels like smooth glass even after I've handled one for an hour or so, the briwax at best feels like plastic rather than glass.

Back