disposing of chemicals and finishes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt@

Established Member
Reaction score
good morning, I am emptying a workshop and have a quantiy of finishes and chemicals to get rid of, namely spirit based polishes and stains, oil based varinishes and stains ( a total of approx 20 litres mixed,) sodium hydroxide, hydrogen peroxide ( 10 litres ) 10 litres ammonia, small quantity nitric acid, remanents 20 small tins furniture wax and quarter full rubble sack of mixed earth and spirit powder. Trying to be responsible I want to do this legally. Local tip offically wont take it, informally they say " bring it down" I dont feel comfortable doing this. Had 2 quotes of around £600 to offically dispose of this stuff but baulking at the cost. Anyone got any bright ideas for disposal of this?!

Hydrogen peroxide is a great cleaner/disinfector, I've even used small amounts of it to deal with problem algae infestations in my aquariums.
It's great for disinfecting your kitchen white goods, especially dishwashers and washing machines.
Whereabouts are you?

Looking at the Bristol recycling center site it lists as Paint as acceptable. All your finishes and waxes would go in the paint category, this would at least reduce the volume.

Anything spirit based or that will evaporate well pour into a large open tray, put it out in the sun and let it evaporate. That will reduce the overall volume that you have to deal with.

Sodium hydroxide straight down the drain (it is drain cleaner).

Ammonia down the drain (it is a cleaning product).

Hydrogen peroxide is a bleach. That can go down the drain.

Neutralise the nitric acid with the sodium hydroxide (buy some pH strips and err on the alkaline side) and use the sodium nitrate produced as fertilizer.

As a general strategy type 'xxx disposal' where xxx is the chemical name into Google and see what it says.

I believe that ammonia solution can be diluted with water and poured down the drain. After all, it is given off from urine. You could also add it to the compost heap.

Anything spirit based or that will evaporate well pour into a large open tray, put it out in the sun and let it evaporate. That will reduce the overall volume that you have to deal with.

Neutralise the nitric acid with the sodium hydroxide (buy some pH strips and err on the alkaline side) and use the sodium nitrate produced as fertilizer.

As a general strategy type 'xxx disposal' where xxx is the chemical name into Google and see what it says.
I didn't want to suggest mixing the nitric acid and the sodium hydroxide together as it is a pretty vigorous reaction! If you go this way just make sure you make weak aqueous solutions of both before mixing.

thanks for replies and helpful advice everyone, really appreciate it, I have made some progress with this now and suffice to say its not going to cost me £600!

And of course the Amonia was used to turn Oak a nice shade of brown, which it was discovered was the cause of brown Oak beams etc in French stables, Amonia in the horse urine.
Ian

Someone on this board may be able to make use of any spare finishes and stains. Why not try putting them on the for sale bit and see if anyone wants them for local collection?

I’m not sure your water company would recommend you ‘just poring them’ down the drain etc ….probelms can occur

Take EVERYTHING to the tip. That is what it is there for. They will dispose of it all in the correct manner.

Your local recycling centre can be quite difficult with chemicals etc …..I’ve turned up with a butane blowtorch canister ….‘can’t take that sir’ - I’ll chuck it in the hedge was my response and he replied ….well just this time 😂😂😂😂

I’m not sure your water company would recommend you ‘just pouring them’ down the drain

I do not think I said to do so all at once on the same day. Like I said, research the issue. Suitably diluted, they are not harmful.

If he was on his own eco-biodigester sewage system, sure, it is not a wise move. But on a shared sewer in a residential street the flow rate (and thus dilution) is huge.

Think back to your school days in the chemistry lab. Every desk in mine has six glass bottle on it: nitric acid, sodium hydroxide, ammonia, hydrochloric acid, sulphuric acid and lime water. Once our experiments were done, every one in the 30 strong class poured the results down the sink and rinsed the apparatus.

Every hairdresser in the country puts hydrogen peroxide down their sinks.

..I’ve turned up with a butane blowtorch canister

It is because it is a 'gas bottle'. If you puncture it and flatten it, it becomes 'scrap steel'. We had the same on a building site with empty line marker paint cans. They had to go in the hazardous waste at enormous expense. We found a company selling a machine, a bit like a can crusher, that safely punctured and squashed them so they could go in the steel skip. Paid for itself after a month.

wear a mask gloves and goggles if dealing with ammonia, it's nasty stuff, get a whiff of it and it will almost knock you out.

Back