Coronavirus

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Blackswanwood":2g72b8w2 said:
Lons":2g72b8w2 said:
I'd suggest that it's very likely the vast majority of people have said it, some more often than others throughout their lives. My dad's usual was " I'll swing for him", no good since the abolished hanging of course.

As this thread has moved off Coronavirus I don't feel bad about taking it further and asking whether the expression to swing for someone relates to throwing a punch or hanging them? Lons - unlike most people on here today I'm not saying you are wrong and I am right - just wondered and happy to be educated!!

Until i read this I hadn't realised it could of meant the latter in the example. I always thought it meant throwing a punch. This thread has made me realise how little proper education i received compared to most lol in other words im thick :)

MikeG.":18soq18e said:
I didn't say you were hyperbolic. I said you use figures of speech. Hyperbole is only one of millions (see what I did there?) of figures of speech. You have chosen to take one figure of speech absolutely literally, and you've just doubled down (as the Americans say) on that. You actually believe that Roger is calling for people to be shot in the street. I'm afraid that at that point you lost the chance to claim rationality in your arguments.

Fair enough. Well I hope it is just hyperbole from Roger, though I would prefer to see him confirm it to be honest.
The point was aimed at others (mostly Roger). I would like to quote rafezetter. Now is this just hyperbole? This wasn't said in the heat of the moment, he carefully thought out this post:

rafezetter":18soq18e said:
So if you don't condone an instant bullet between the eyes (which btw I'm 100% with RogerS on that) what would YOU do with such a person who willingly infects another human being with a life threatening virus?

A bullet is humane for them (because frankly my chosen method of deterrant would be far worse), and cheap for us; after a few dozen of those, filmed and made public - people might actually not do it - you know like an actual WORKING DETERRANT.

On a lighter note, the missus just told me the Israeli health minister (hasidic fanaticist) who was going round telling people that covid19 was a punishment from upstairs for being homosexual has just been confirmed to have it. oooh er

you cant make this stuff up man

Droogs":25su6ld9 said:
On a lighter note, the missus just told me the Israeli health minister (hasidic fanaticist) who was going round telling people that covid19 was a punishment from upstairs for being homosexual has just been confirmed to have it. oooh er

you cant make this stuff up man

He who doth protest the loudest :twisted:

Blackswanwood":24rrelk7 said:
Lons":24rrelk7 said:
I'd suggest that it's very likely the vast majority of people have said it, some more often than others throughout their lives. My dad's usual was " I'll swing for him", no good since the abolished hanging of course.

As this thread has moved off Coronavirus I don't feel bad about taking it further and asking whether the expression to swing for someone relates to throwing a punch or hanging them? Lons - unlike most people on here today I'm not saying you are wrong and I am right - just wondered and happy to be educated!!

I think it means you are the one "happy to swing for them", as you've killed the person that has offended you.

Geoff_S":kmh547d1 said:
Blackswanwood":kmh547d1 said:
Lons":kmh547d1 said:

I think it means you are the one "happy to swing for them", as you've killed the person that has offended you.

Looks like I've overstated the lengths I'm prepared to go to over the years :lol:

Even in times of crisis, there will be idiots in the population. Let's not forget that there are plenty of mentally ill running around, along with sociopaths, psychopaths, addicts, etc.

They're still there. I'm not a huge fan of the news loving to tell us the "oh my God, would you believe how low people are? Look at this story".

Yes, I'd believe it. Why would it change. As a journalist, please find us something new that we didn't know before...(as in, something that is actually news by definition).

Doesn't seem like hyperbole to me. These seem to be carefully selected words. Vigilante violence, definitely the way forward.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

just noticed that our intrepid leaders are now only giving us the numbers of people who have died in hospital. I wonder if that has anything to do with the letter they sent to care home residents basically telling them they are being left to die if they get this wretched thing as they will not be transferred to hospital nor be given a ventilator. Bunch of ...

just noticed that our intrepid leaders are now only giving us the numbers of people who have died in hospital. I wonder if that has anything to do with the letter they sent to care home residents basically telling them they are being left to die if they get this wretched thing as they will not be transferred to hospital nor be given a ventilator. Bunch of ...

2+2=5

Blackswanwood":1j5sn62b said:
Lons":1j5sn62b said:

Definitely swing by the neck as it's a very long time ago and when they still used the death penalty.

Droogs":1yeyyaa9 said:

2+2=5
Again, let’s try and keep this accurate.

The exact reverse is true...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... first-time

Try to at least mention sources, even if you don’t link to them when bringing something new up.

Even your care home comment is dubious. There have been some care home managers that have refused to take or accept back patients from hospital, but no such national order has been given in writing.

Oops, sorry. I forgot some quote marks in my post.

It was Droogs who wrote ....

I responded and wrote '2+2=5' to that.

Sorry for the confusion.

Steve

Death figures are fairly meaningless without proper testing and autopsies. Only testing is happening in hospitals so even their figures are skewed, adding in "suspected" numbers as well just makes things look even worse. At the very least they should be categorised separately.

Death figures are gathered differently - and at different times/rates - by the various authorites. Ergo, even the coarse statistics are, as R. says above, dubious.
Without both test regimes, antigen and antibody, in six figures each, we cannot quantify, map, strategise, erradicate. Presently, we are effectively 'blindfolded' and 'firefighting', without a definitive plan.

Sam

SammyQ":1cpy4yjy said:
........Without both test regimes, antigen and antibody, in six figures each, we cannot quantify, map, strategise, erradicate. Presently, we are effectively 'blindfolded' and 'firefighting', without a definitive plan.

And yet the Chinese have managed to wipe it out entirely. You're words are hyperbolic.

MikeG.":2guhm26h said:
SammyQ":2guhm26h said:
........Without both test regimes, antigen and antibody, in six figures each, we cannot quantify, map, strategise, erradicate. Presently, we are effectively 'blindfolded' and 'firefighting', without a definitive plan.

And yet the Chinese have managed to wipe it out entirely. You're words are hyperbolic.

I think you are the hyperbolic one this time Mike :lol:

Need to take any information from China with a massive pinch of salt!

I am not saying they are outright lying, nor am I a conspiracy theorist but you will not get the full truth from China.

There are international health statisticians pouring over the Chinese figures, and they haven't found any obvious flaws. The Wuhan lockdown has been lifted. Now, whether or not there are remnant cases, there clearly is no ongoing epidemic...and the point is, Sam just said achieving anything at all against this virus is impossible because we don't have tests, accurate figures, and a plan. He is flat out wrong on the claim that it can't be beaten without those things, even if he is right (and he isn't) that we don't have figures, plans and tests.

Apparently in the debate about the figures all bets are off until reliable data have been gathered about the number people who have had it but who have displayed few or no symptoms. These data may have a huge effect on how we view the virus. If, say, 50% of the of the population who had it displayed no symptoms or symptoms that didn't make them go to the doctor, then the mortality % plummets. The Germans are doing a data gathering exercise to this end in Munich, where they will interview 3,000 people so as to have a decent sample.

I'm more confirmed than ever in my view that we won't be able to talk sensibly about this disease until it has all died down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back