Coronavirus

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would have seen the same number of people, we where told on Monday only 3 people in the office at once but everyone had been by then.
They moved us out of a large office with a counter we could hand things over to a basement next to the tram tracks.

Pete

Police have had to step in for the 2nd day running at the Asda superstore in leeds10 to break up several grown men physically fighting one another over stock on the shelves. As if the police haven't enough to do. My daughter told me they were queuing up and around the car park at the Aldi all calm practicing social distancing 2m apart it negates somewhat the comment earlier in the thread about what kind of person shops where.
I fear for anyone who has to go out.
Keep calm to Keep safe

They must have some reach to land blows on someone 2 metres away... tw*ts.

Sorry to hear you've got it Pete. Take it easy and no soldiering on.

A post in today's Times - (the truth of which I do not know, so don't shoot the messenger)

There was actually some goodish news a few days ago. As of 19 March 2020, COVID-19 is no longer considered to be a High Consequence Infectious Disease (HCID) in the UK as it was less infectious and less dangerous than previously thought.
As far as I know, none of the mainstream media chose to report this as it didn't fit into their clickbait "we're all going to die from Government incompetence" narrative.

Phil Pascoe":2t0fu8uy said:
A post in today's Times - (the truth of which I do not know, so don't shoot the messenger)

There was actually some goodish news a few days ago. As of 19 March 2020, COVID-19 is no longer considered to be a High Consequence Infectious Disease (HCID) in the UK as it was less infectious and less dangerous than previously thought.
As far as I know, none of the mainstream media chose to report this as it didn't fit into their clickbait "we're all going to die from Government incompetence" narrative.

I think at this point im more likely to die from alcohol abuse (hammer)

Phil Pascoe":2j0z7o4u said:
You're supposed to use the IPA on your hands, not drink it. :D

India Pale Ale ? i'm not sure i want to wash my hands with it, it would be a waste :)

Phil Pascoe":2i3t0k01 said:

This seemed like a bit of spin from the govt to me, not sure it is necessarily good news. I think it is more that there are only 4 hospitals in the UK which are supposed to treat respiratory HCIDs and all patients are supposed to be transferred to those, so whatever the seriousness (SARS is still classified as an HCID as are less serious flus than this) it just isn't going to work that way because semi-ironically it is just too serious.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/high-conseq ... eases-hcid

It also sounds from that page as if it allows changes to be made to PPE requirements more easily.

Trainee neophyte":3dyo0yag said:
A peculiar article about strange goings on in France (theft of national supply of chloroquine), and about chloroquine and the efficacy as a cure. https://asiatimes.com/2020/03/why-franc ... irus-cure/

Does anyone have any spare chloroquine? Allegedly a 7 day course will sort you out, but perhaps someone medical might know better. There ought to be something in it, as UK has banned export of chloroquine - https://www.pharmaceutical-technology.c ... -covid-19/

I haven’t looked at the links but am pretty sure this is an anti-malarial drug and Trump was claiming it was the answer a few weeks ago. As usual with anything claimed by Trump it’s not the case.

A seven day course will sort it out, hey? Interesting. How long does corona virus normally last?...................Wait a minute.................Hmmm, let me see........No, no, it's coming to me.....................oh yes, that's it. Seven days! Well now, isn't that a coincidence.

This is untested, TN. You are peddling pseudoscience. When it's been used in double blind trials and the results analysed, come back to us.

Blackswanwood":6zi6w7kw said:
Trainee neophyte":6zi6w7kw said:
A peculiar article about strange goings on in France (theft of national supply of chloroquine), and about chloroquine and the efficacy as a cure. https://asiatimes.com/2020/03/why-franc ... irus-cure/

Does anyone have any spare chloroquine? Allegedly a 7 day course will sort you out, but perhaps someone medical might know better. There ought to be something in it, as UK has banned export of chloroquine - https://www.pharmaceutical-technology.c ... -covid-19/

I haven’t looked at the links but am pretty sure this is an anti-malarial drug and Trump was claiming it was the answer a few weeks ago. As usual with anything claimed by Trump it’s not the case.
What Trump says is as such unimportant. What the scientists say is important. If a scientist has briefed Trump and he parrots it, what he is saying is probably important.

Two days ago I saw an interview with a scientist who claimed that certain molecular structures on the virus were identified very quickly by the Chinese and passed to scientists worldwide. They then did computer modelling of all known drugs to see which would be a literal physical fit on the structures as making the fit neutralises the viruses. Three candidates emerged. One of them is an anti-malarial drug (which may well be what Trump was on about). All three are undergoing trials, as you may imagine.

Now ask yourself what is the probability of Trump, in his capacity as a scientifically uneducated layman, plucking the name of a drug out of the air and saying that it may be a cure. Do you think it might be more probable that he was given this information by one of his scientific advisors?

Also ask yourself what are the odds of your making the fact that Trump is saying something the key indicator of its likely truth? In political matters you may well have a point, given his track record. In specific scientific matters, you may well be plumbing Trumpian depths of logic.

Andy Kev.":2efyr6a7 said:
Blackswanwood":2efyr6a7 said:
Trainee neophyte":2efyr6a7 said:

What Trump says is as such unimportant. What the scientists say is important. If a scientist has briefed Trump and he parrots it, what he is saying is probably important.

Two days ago I saw an interview with a scientist who claimed that certain molecular structures on the virus were identified very quickly by the Chinese and passed to scientists worldwide. They then did computer modelling of all known drugs to see which would be a literal physical fit on the structures as making the fit neutralises the viruses. Three candidates emerged. One of them is an anti-malarial drug (which may well be what Trump was on about). All three are undergoing trials, as you may imagine.

Now ask yourself what is the probability of Trump, in his capacity as a scientifically uneducated layman, plucking the name of a drug out of the air and saying that it may be a cure. Do you think it might be more probable that he was given this information by one of his scientific advisors?

Also ask yourself what are the odds of your making the fact that Trump is saying something the key indicator of its likely truth? In political matters you may well have a point, given his track record. In specific scientific matters, you may well be plumbing Trumpian depths of logic.

^^^ what he said

Trump is a glory seeker, if he can be seen to resolve this with as little damage as possible then he gets a lot of ego massaging. I doubt he would be peddling fantasy which will ruin that outcome, he like most political leaders are just taking advice from "the science experts" and giving it out.

oh and i put it in quotes because, just because you have a job doesn't mean you are good at it.

MikeG.":31hjklex said:
A seven day course will sort it out, hey? Interesting. How long does corona virus normally last?...................Wait a minute.................Hmmm, let me see........No, no, it's coming to me.....................oh yes, that's it. Seven days! Well now, isn't that a coincidence.

This is untested, TN. You are peddling pseudoscience. When it's been used in double blind trials and the results analysed, come back to us.
:roll:
As a 'wise' man once said;
MikeG.":31hjklex said:
There's two ways of discussing/ arguing: you can stick to the facts, or you can get personal. As soon as you start talking about the other person, and about your superior abilities/ knowledge/ whatever compared to that person, then you've lost the argument, and you are susceptible to the accusation that you are trolling.
The connection to chloroquine concerned with a potential tool against Covid-19 is based on research going back to earlier this year. The testing also included SARS as well as Covid-19. This research has occurred in several well respected institutes across the globe as a possible tool to help people with severe stages of the virus. This has not pointed to a cure but merely something that warrants further investigation to build that arsenal against potentials. They have been cautious in releasing data and identified the risks comparative to effects such as placebo's, etc.

I appreciate that we should be be cautious in what we put up here, but this is a discussion on a topical disruptive virus. If the discussion goes in the direction of how the world is responding to that, discuss it, conclude and move on. Don't counter vague comments with equally vague retorts assuming you have "superior abilities/ knowledge/ whatever" else "you've lost the argument" and you are "susceptible to the accusation that you are trolling".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back