Coronavirus

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
RogerS":549c4z8x said:
Nigel Burden":549c4z8x said:
Although my health is generally very good for my age, 68, I've had a cough and sore throat off and on for the last two months, and also itchy eyes. This has been the norm for the last four or five years. I mentioned it to the doctor about three years ago and he thought it was allergy related, possibly tree pollen, although with the wet weather I would have thought that pollen levels were suppressed.

With regards to aggressive shoppers, my wife was telling me that an elderly man locally had something snatched from his hand by a woman in a local shop. :evil: Many of you will probably remember the scenes on toy stores back in the 80s with shoppers fighting over Cabbage Patch Dolls. :roll:

Nigel.

What wood are you/have you worked with ?

I don't think it's the wood I'm working with. I seem to get these symptoms every year from about February through to about mid Spring. I have only been working wood for a couple of years using mainly oak or pine and don't seem to have any symptoms after Spring, this is what makes me think that it's probably tree pollen.

Nigel.

GrahamF":1om4wglx said:
I'm amazed by the behaviour in the UK, can't understand the panic. ...(

It's because these morons watch a never-ending saga of Eastenders, Coronation Street and whatever other drivel is on that passes for 'soap'...even on Radio 4..The Archers. It's all high-drama and shoutie-shoutie...so Mr and Mrs Thickie think that this is how you lead your life.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. We need a cull. Maybe Covid-19 is the answer...just wish it was selective.

"A country is only 9 meals from anarchy".

Or is it 6 rolls of lavatory paper?

A worldwide fear of a shortage, rather than an actual shortage is causing chaos. How much will this be exacerbated by the social media, viral panic over the lack of lavatory paper? Which is the next item to be on the list? Once you start seeing "Supermarkets running out of ..." on Facebook, it will be too late.

I have mentioned before: "he who panics first, panics best". I am smugly fully stocked with everything, but to those who aren't, you may want to get a few extra things in, not because there is a production or supply problem, but because there is a panicking silly person problem. The stock market refers to it as the "thundering herd", and they all claim to be sensible professional types. It is just human nature.

Is panic buying really panic buying or sensible precautions?

Most people do not hold large stocks of food in their home, they shop regularly instead. Now we are all being asked to minimise our excursions outside of our homes. Some people are being advised to isolate themselves in their homes for weeks or months and the rest of us have to imagine that we could be in a similar position in the near future. How can any of this be done without laying in extra stocks of food and other consumables? How can this be called panic buying?

In some parts of the country, quite a few people used to eat out several times a week. Now they're being told not to go to pubs and restaurants. Then all those children released from the tyranny of forced indoctrination will need feeding at lunchtime.

There probably is some panicking going on, but the sudden change in life patterns has shifted food demand from catering to home. There's no shortage of foodstuffs, but the sudden and dramatic change in who buys it and from where has caused major bother.

Mind you, that doesn't really explain the rush for toilet tissue....

Cheshirechappie":2hpsqcs1 said:
In some parts of the country, quite a few people used to eat out several times a week. Now they're being told not to go to pubs and restaurants. Then all those children released from the tyranny of forced indoctrination will need feeding at lunchtime.

There probably is some panicking going on, but the sudden change in life patterns has shifted food demand from catering to home. There's no shortage of foodstuffs, but the sudden and dramatic change in who buys it and from where has caused major bother.

Mind you, that doesn't really explain the rush for toilet tissue....

I'm ok for toilet tissue. A few months ago I bought a large catering pack of kitchen tissue as I use it for wiping my hands in the shed. It's actually as soft as toilet tissue.

Nigel.

Did anyone else watch Channel 4 news last evening? Many people in London pretty much ignoring govt advice, CMO criticising them and Boris pretending all's going to be fine. here's a report in the Mail on youngsters going pubbing and clubbing:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... f7U-fy74pM
It's clear far stricter measures need to be taken and enforced, but it's still all down to the individual to decide.

Chris152":bfw4nidd said:
Did anyone else watch Channel 4 news last evening? Many people in London pretty much ignoring govt advice, CMO criticising them and Boris pretending all's going to be fine. here's a report in the Mail on youngsters going pubbing and clubbing:
It's clear far stricter measures need to be taken and enforced, but it's still all down to the individual to decide.

One way for the cull to start, I guess. No sympathy at all if they catch it but if they then infect someone else....pure selfishness.

Trainee neophyte":2ud9uj42 said:
"A country is only 9 meals from anarchy".

MI5 aren't so optimistic, “four meals away from anarchy” is their maxim.

Chris152":2ud9uj42 said:
dailymail

:lol: The daily mail is not a credible source for anything.

I'm pretty certain I've got it. I spent yesterday and this morning alternately shivering then sweating, have had a low level headache since Tuesday lunchtime, feel achy and lethargic, and worst of all, my damn eyeballs hurt. Moving them is a real pain. My kidneys ache too. There's something going on in my chest, as a quick breath in leads to a bit of a coughing fit, but at the moment I'm not coughing much. My wife has finally accepted that we're in isolation. Having said all that, I've felt much worse in the past with ordinary winter flu, and the guy I caught it from who is a few days ahead of me is feeling much better already. I'm not up to a proper project in the workshop, but I'm going to have a bit of a tidy up and sort out later, and maybe fiddle with my planer guard.

Chris152":3ebedn9u said:

I saw something about British holidaymakers in other countries not obeying the rules put in place of staying at home, but instead, still out getting drunk .... "because it's just the flu"

..embarassing. Hope they fine the dumbasses

transatlantic":3lqpac2u said:
I saw something about British holidaymakers in other countries not obeying the rules put in place of staying at home, but instead, still out getting drunk .... "because it's just the flue"

Guess where... Spain. Brits in Spain behaving like brits in Spain.

They should have just arrested them and locked them up for a few days.

p.s. "If it's less than an eighth, it's unmeasurable" - The English Woodworker

That's just over 3mm, definitely measurable!

transatlantic":3ivan5xc said:
I saw something about British holidaymakers in other countries not obeying the rules put in place of staying at home, but instead, still out getting drunk .... "because it's just the flue"

TV here in Portugal was showing some of the tourist idiots on the Spanish Costas still getting pineappled. Although bars are closed, they get booze from supermarkets.

Unfortunately, general consensus among the locals is younger generation Brit men leave what few brains they have in the UK and the women leave their knickers behind. (sadly I'm getting too old to verify the latter allegation). As you say, they're an embarrassment.

Police here are out and about, evidently one warning and then fine if caught out again without valid excuse.

ScaredyCat":95gwikzu said:
transatlantic":95gwikzu said:

Guess where... Spain. Brits in Spain behaving like brits in Spain.

They should have just arrested them and locked them up for a few days.

p.s. "If it's less than an eighth, it's unmeasurable" - The English Woodworker

That's just over 3mm, definitely measurable!

"it's just the flu"

If they contracted proper flu they wouldn't treat it as a joke.

I had flu forty one years ago when I was 27. I had a raging fever, pounding head, I could barely lift it off the pillow, ached from head to toe, and I couldn't face food for about a week. I lost a stone in weight, which I could ill afford to lose and hadn't felt so ill since I had Polio at the age of 5. I then got a secondary infection. I was off work for two weeks and it took another six weeks before I felt completely well. So no, flu is not a joke.

Nigel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back