Coronavirus

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
cookiemonster":30j83yz3 said:
Rorschach":30j83yz3 said:
I'll be spending plenty of time in the workshop, my worry is no-one will be buying what I make as Iam in the luxury goods market. This year could be a tricky one.

There must be an opportunity in here somewhere. Something like, if your customers have to spend months on end indoors in self-isolation then they will want to spend it in the company of some top quality furniture? Anyhow, the best of luck to you.

Unfortunately most of my business is in the US and Asia. Both areas that do not have sick pay so a lot of people are going to be very short of money at least for this year. It could put me out of business.

Rorschach":ydtms6mm said:
cookiemonster":ydtms6mm said:
Rorschach":ydtms6mm said:
I'll be spending plenty of time in the workshop, my worry is no-one will be buying what I make as Iam in the luxury goods market. This year could be a tricky one.

There must be an opportunity in here somewhere. Something like, if your customers have to spend months on end indoors in self-isolation then they will want to spend it in the company of some top quality furniture? Anyhow, the best of luck to you.

Unfortunately most of my business is in the US and Asia. Both areas that do not have sick pay so a lot of people are going to be very short of money at least for this year. It could put me out of business.

Really sorry to hear that. Fingers crossed for you.

I did catalogue my big machines, with detailed description, prices paid, estimated values ... and a link to this forum if my son needs advice! Be kind to him!

Cytokine Storm...apparently that's what can get us as a result of Covid-19 if we're susceptible. The older you are, that increases the likelihood.

From another forum

It is still just a conjecture, but one hypothesis for which evidence is at least accumulating is that Cytokine Storm is associated with many bad outcomes. This (Cytokine Storm in response to COV-19) in turn appears well correlated with age, regardless of underlying health. Underlying health is then correlated with chances of withstanding this phenomenon. The inverse (unlikelihood of Cytokine Storm in response to COV-19 regardless of other factors except youth) is a possible explanation of the near-zero risk of bad outcomes in the youngest.

Listening to the news a few minutes ago, it seems that supermarkets have seen crowds gathering before opening times, and long queues at checkouts. I did my usual weekly shop yesterday morning, and it was busier than usual, with gaps on shelves.

Just like to say that I consider this panic buying to be rather pathetic and very selfish. The supermarkets have all said that there's no shortages of anything, but sudden high demand strains resupply systems beyond capacity. Hence the gaps on shelves, which can be refilled in a couple of days, provided everybody calms down. If we're not careful, we'll have rationing reintroduced to avoid the surges in demand. Some supermarkets are already limiting numbers of items per customer for some goods.

By the way, the Telegraph reported yesterday that the UK is a net exporter of bog rolls, so there's no actual shortage, and even if there was, we could just divert the exports to our own shelves.

Just no need to panic at all, folks. Calm down, take a deep breath, and just shop normally.

This is an interesting website for anyone who hasn't seen it. https://www.worldometers.info/coronavir ... lian-media
No idea if it's accurate but in any event makes for grim reading especially the mortality rate percentage in Italy compared with China. I know that's not realistic comparison at this stage!

So the over 70s have been told to self isolate. Wonder who's going to look after my granddaughter when they close the schools as my son can't manage too much time at home and his wife is a nurse!

Cheshirechappie":2at41ms2 said:
Listening to the news a few minutes ago, it seems that supermarkets have seen crowds gathering before opening times, and long queues at checkouts. I did my usual weekly shop yesterday morning, and it was busier than usual, with gaps on shelves.

Just like to say that I consider this panic buying to be rather pathetic and very selfish. The supermarkets have all said that there's no shortages of anything, but sudden high demand strains resupply systems beyond capacity. Hence the gaps on shelves, which can be refilled in a couple of days, provided everybody calms down. If we're not careful, we'll have rationing reintroduced to avoid the surges in demand. Some supermarkets are already limiting numbers of items per customer for some goods.

By the way, the Telegraph reported yesterday that the UK is a net exporter of bog rolls, so there's no actual shortage, and even if there was, we could just divert the exports to our own shelves.

Just no need to panic at all, folks. Calm down, take a deep breath, and just shop normally.
Sorry, but your missing the point entirely. With the buttocks falling out of many currencies the humble bog roll is about to become the major world currency. Only 100 sheet rolls are under consideration so a decimal approach can be maintained.

The big argument is going to be in relation to the ‘softness index’. Some arguing for a ‘hard’ currency (izal) others believe that stupid koala has a role to play.

How to choose........

stuartpaul":14ykhndi said:
Cheshirechappie":14ykhndi said:

Sorry, but your missing the point entirely. With the buttocks falling out of many currencies the humble bog roll is about to become the major world currency. Only 100 sheet rolls are under consideration so a decimal approach can be maintained.

The big argument is going to be in relation to the ‘softness index’. Some arguing for a ‘hard’ currency (izal) others believe that stupid koala has a role to play.

How to choose........

Well, if the UK is a net exporter, we make all the currency we need, and presumably can charge a premium for our exports as well! Win-win ...

Cheshirechappie":3bkh939k said:
[

Well, if the UK is a net exporter, we make all the currency we need, and presumably can charge a premium for our exports as well! Win-win ...

There really is no difference between £ sterling and 2 ply, other than ability to biodegrade. Makes you think, doesn't it...

Trainee neophyte":2bfz275x said:
Cheshirechappie":2bfz275x said:
[

There really is no difference between £ sterling and 2 ply, other than ability to biodegrade. Makes you think, doesn't it...

How many olive leaves to the UK backed Andrex sheet, then, TN? About 100 or so?

Lons":2yg9ehe0 said:
This is an interesting website for anyone who hasn't seen it. https://www.worldometers.info/coronavir ... lian-media
No idea if it's accurate but in any event makes for grim reading especially the mortality rate percentage in Italy compared with China. I know that's not realistic comparison at this stage!

So the over 70s have been told to self isolate. Wonder who's going to look after my granddaughter when they close the schools as my son can't manage too much time at home and his wife is a nurse!

This is why premature closing of schools is a bad idea! It depends where the kids go, infecting a grandparent (high risk group) or locking down a highly needed adult (NHS staff). Your family gets a double whammy. However, I have seen mention that child care should be provided for NHS kids or where a high-risk adult would otherwise be the carer.

Some people seem to think that closing a school just makes the kids disappear!

Rorschach":30pi4rfx said:
cookiemonster":30pi4rfx said:
Rorschach":30pi4rfx said:

It could be lean, but most of us in the US have sick pay. It's part of our total benefit packages. There are a lot of hourly folks who only get paid for the hours they work, but they're not likely to be in a custom group for international products (that don't come from china or india).

thick_mike":1zrncnkw said:
Because they want the kids to get it. The delay part is for those groups that might require hospitalisation, young people get mild symptoms and they are relying on those that have had the virus being immune to reinfection. As a teacher, I’m on the front line of this as I will be surrounded by hundreds of viral fermentors. Many of my colleagues are in vulnerable groups, but will be exposed to the virus through contact with the students we teach.
It all seems quite unclear to me. since herd immunity was mentioned a few days ago by the cmo, the govt has been denying that is its policy. It seems like something that's going to happen if immunity can develop anyway. Yet still, the only measures clearly directed to the public seem to be hand washing, using tissues and self-isolation f you're ill. Still no advice to avoid crowded bars, travel situations etc unless they're absolutely essential. Which would seem obvious things to call for if 'delay' is really the goal, I'd have thought? As for more extreme measures to delay spread in the uk, well apparently we know better...
Reduction in testing seems odd too, that leaves us pretty unclear as to what the actual situation in the UK is, doesn't it?

Chris152":1gl5h9ff said:
thick_mike":1gl5h9ff said:
Because they want the kids to get it. The delay part is for those groups that might require hospitalisation, young people get mild symptoms and they are relying on those that have had the virus being immune to reinfection. As a teacher, I’m on the front line of this as I will be surrounded by hundreds of viral fermentors. Many of my colleagues are in vulnerable groups, but will be exposed to the virus through contact with the students we teach.
It all seems quite unclear to me. since herd immunity was mentioned a few days ago by the cmo, the govt has been denying that is its policy. It seems like something that's going to happen if immunity can develop anyway. Yet still, the only measures clearly directed to the public seem to be hand washing, using tissues and self-isolation f you're ill. Still no advice to avoid crowded bars, travel situations etc unless they're absolutely essential. Which would seem obvious things to call for if 'delay' is really the goal, I'd have thought?
As for reduction in testing, that leaves us pretty unclear as to what the actual situation in the UK is, doesn't it?

I can't fault your reasoning.

We're planning how/when/if one of us catches it. Fortunately, LOML has her own en-suite so I can lock her in her bedroom if she catches it. Give her a laptop to watch TV or listen to the radio. I'll prepare her food and leave it outside the door. Either that or put on gloves, goggles (in case I touch my eyes) and a dust mask (ditto). Bring in the security camera from outside and stick it in her room so I can monitor her. Lie back and think of England.

"The Law of Unexpected Consequences" aka "The Law of Expected Consequences if only the young muppets who design IT systems actually ask the question What If ...two words they've never heard of"

Trying to transfer money between Virgin accounts. Have to use this new "send a code" cobblers. Mobile signal having its usual off-day. No problem. Ask to use landline instead. "We're having problems". Apparently testing IT systems doesn't feature in their vocabulary either. "You have to go into a branch". Um...can't. Over-70.

Have now decided to spread what few assets we have across multiple financial institutions. They cant all go pear-shaped at the same time ? Can they ?

The govt guarantee of protecting individual bank/savings accounts up to £85k will mean you’re ok even if they go belly up.

Unless of course they renege on that due to ‘unforeseen circumstances’

Marineboy":3mkrdjne said:
The govt guarantee of protecting individual bank/savings accounts up to £85k will mean you’re ok even if they go belly up.

My bad... when I said 'Pear-shaped' I was referring to accessing their systems

It's not the question of them going belly-up but being able to transfer money from A to B in order to pay bills, cards etc.

I read in the papers that the Govt are thinking about asking Netflix to offer free-streaming to the over-70's if they are imprisoned for four months. Leaving aside the fact that I suspect quite a large percentage of this demographic don't even know what 'streaming' means outside the context of having a cold....

...a quick dip into what's available seems to be a never-ending stream of Zombie films. Does Netflix know something that we don't ?

RogerS":3voddgxl said:
Marineboy":3voddgxl said:

My bad... when I said 'Pear-shaped' I was referring to accessing their systems

It's not the question of them going belly-up but being able to transfer money from A to B in order to pay bills, cards etc.

Sorry, see what you mean now, some banks are better than others. I’m with Halifax and I find their online systems very efficient. Transfer of monies to other banks is near instantaneous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back