Corded Or Cordless

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi. This is a never ending discussion.
I have several cordless drills and the problem is always the battery. I also have so many dead batteries from different brand and models.
Recently i decided to convert three of them to corded by using a laptop AC/DC transformer. They are working nicely.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    132.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    134.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    102.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 9.JPG
    9.JPG
    107.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 11.JPG
    11.JPG
    92.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 12.JPG
    12.JPG
    107.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 13.JPG
    13.JPG
    140.5 KB · Views: 0
If you need to plug the vacuum into it anyway then there is little point paying extra for battery versions. Like routers for example.

Ollie

I completely agree with the logic of having corded tools in a workshop environment, it allows you to have the best tool, regardless of battery platform and therefore brand.

that said I do a fair bit of work outside at the moment, and my heart sinks everytime I reach a point in the project where I need a corded tool, it adds maybe 10 minutes of running out a cord, then winding it back in (can't be left out normally for various reasons) normally for only a few minutes of use, and it justs breaks the flow of work. for that reason, given the finances, I'd definately have a cordless trim router, circular saw, angle grinder, jigsaw and (to a lesser extant, because it gets used for longer periods) sliding mitre

that said I do a fair bit of work outside at the moment, and my heart sinks everytime I reach a point in the project where I need a corded tool, it adds maybe 10 minutes of running out a cord, then winding it back in (can't be left out normally for various reasons) normally for only a few minutes of use,
You can tell the newer generation, not used to extension leads and the issues that can arise. If you go back things have gone full circle, I started out with cordless tools like the good old brace and bit, yankee screwdrivers and rawlplug tools before going corded with mostly 110 volt stuff and here we are today back to cordless tools.

I have mainly cordless tools and have over the last few years become a lot more workshop based and am up grading the corded tools as I go.

I find with cordless router for instance you do get diminishing performance as the battery discharges, if it stops mid cut it can be frustrating. Corded tools keep a constant speed and power.

Back