Corded Or Cordless

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tommy7810

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've decided to invest a not insignificant (at least to me!) sum of money into tools for the workshop.. I make furniture and do woodturnings as a hobby...and work on a farm. I'm hoping if i can buy these together, and maybe a few other bits, I can get a nice discount.

I am thinking about a twin drill and impact driver set. Like the Milwaukee M18 FPP2A2-502X Fuel 18V 5.0AH LI-ION REDLITHIUM BRUSHLESS CIRDLESS TWIN PACK.

Then, for inside the workshop, I was thinking about:
Router
Trim Router
Circular Saw/Track Saw
Random Orbital Sander

Now I guess my question comes down to this. for the circular saw and trim router. Do I go cordless? I think a ROS (or any sander really), should be hooked up to dust collection, so corded would be natural (so therefore I wouldn't be using or be needing the same battery paltform). The bigger router which I was Iooking at is a MAKITA RP2301FCXK/2 2100W ½" ELECTRIC ROUTER 240V would also be corded.

But in terms of the circular saw and trim router...whats the consensus on power for these? Corded or Cordless? If I was advised to go battery, I'd simply stick with Milwaukee. Whereas, if I was going corded, I'd probably go Makita (as far as I can see, Milwaukee offer very few corded tools now).

Corded tools offer better value for money (with the understanding that you are tethered to a socket, but as I mentioned previously, these are mostly/universally in a workshop) with a 1/4" battery trim router about twice the price of a corded one.
Corded tools also offer better power(?)....
Corded tools will/should last longer(?)...

Other than the benefit of portability or unlimted range on a full battery with a cordless, does it have any/many benefits over corded tools?

Would love to hear your thoughts everyone!!
Thanks in advance!!

Regards,
Tom

Hi tom being a newish member have you read the various threads on this subject ? Its almost covered weekly on the same subject

Hi all,

I've decided to invest a not insignificant (at least to me!) sum of money into tools for the workshop.. I make furniture and do woodturnings as a hobby...and work on a farm. I'm hoping if i can buy these together, and maybe a few other bits, I can get a nice discount.

I am thinking about a twin drill and impact driver set. Like the Milwaukee M18 FPP2A2-502X Fuel 18V 5.0AH LI-ION REDLITHIUM BRUSHLESS CIRDLESS TWIN PACK.

Router
Trim Router
Circular Saw/Track Saw
Random Orbital Sander

Now I guess my question comes down to this. for the circular saw and trim router. Do I go cordless? I think a ROS (or any sander really), should be hooked up to dust collection, so corded would be natural (so therefore I wouldn't be using or be needing the same battery paltform). The bigger router which I was Iooking at is a MAKITA RP2301FCXK/2 2100W ½" ELECTRIC ROUTER 240V would also be corded.

But in terms of the circular saw and trim router...whats the consensus on power for these? Corded or Cordless? If I was advised to go battery, I'd simply stick with Milwaukee. Whereas, if I was going corded, I'd probably go Makita (as far as I can see, Milwaukee offer very few corded tools now).

Corded tools offer better value for money (with the understanding that you are tethered to a socket, but as I mentioned previously, these are mostly/universally in a workshop) with a 1/4" battery trim router about twice the price of a corded one.

Other than the benefit of portability or unlimted range on a full battery with a cordless, does it have any/many benefits over corded tools?

Thanks in advance!!

Regards,
Tom

It depends on what you need to do, and where you need to do it. If mostly used in the shop, I would go for corded over cordless for all but small drills. If you do a lot of work with an impact driver, then I would use air, but surely that is not for furniture and turning.

Hi all,

Router
Trim Router
Circular Saw/Track Saw
Random Orbital Sander

Thanks in advance!!

Regards,
Tom
Battery tools are very very much more expensive over time. I am still using corded tools that are over 50 years old. Any battery tool that could be used for that period of time would have cost several times the original purchase price in replacement battery packs.

If there are extremely good reasons and you want to pay the added costs buy battery
An example is an impact driver, as there’s only 1 corded version and it’s anemic compared to even a medium power battery version.
A trim router is a reasonable battery option.
None of this applies to professional full time use where you need to add in air tools and you may be wearing out the tool in a relatively short time.

like sometimewoodworker

I dont use my gear prof anymore so most of my stuff is corded.....and too mean to buy batt powered tools....
but I do own a 3/8 and 1/2 drive Milwaukee socket impact drivers plus a couple of Hitachi drill drivers n impact screw drivers.....
but thats enough......if I was flush I would buy the Milwaukee bat jig and circular saw's just for conv......
I have the various sizes of HIlti concrete crushing masonary drills.....I beleive the 48v tools are now almost as good but at what cost.....
for DIY just keep to the min of battery tools is my reply.....and for shop use I have at least 6 corded drill of various sizes.....
they all have their place......besides corded tools can be had for almost nothing used......
when spare genuine battery prices come down it'll be a different ball game.....but like inc printer cartriges that how they make the money
good luck...

I wouldn't kit out your workshop yet. Most things are available on 1-3 days shipping, there is no discount for bulk purchases and brands have their strengths.

I have just bought the Milwaukee kit that you mentioned. Amazon or Mytoolshed in the UK were cheapest if it helps, shipping to Ireland may be different. It feels good but after a couple of uses it is too early to comment on.

I personally would wait until you have a job that needs a specific tool and select the most appropriate for the task within the budget. It is easy to assume the things that you might do with the tool, only for that never to be the case

personally I ended up with a decent track saw (Festool because I couldn't stretch to the marfell), a mid range ROS (Metabo), a couple of old but good elu routers (I will probably upgrade one at some point) and a cheap Katsu trim router. This is probably cheaper than going for Makita everything and I have ended up with tools which I believe are selected for their strengths.

cordless and portable sounds more useful than it often is for many people. I assumed that I needed cordless stuff so that I can work outside, but in reality corded tools in a sustainer or other easy to carry box is perfectly suitable when paired with an extension lead. If I were working on site where there may or may not be power it would be different.

I personally would wait until you have a job that needs a specific tool and select the most appropriate for the task within the budget. It is easy to assume the things that you might do with the tool, only for that never to be the case

Certainly, but he doesn't want or need to end up with two or three different battery systems, so it's perfectly sensible to think ahead.

Also a good point that has come up many times is that why have a cordless tool if it requires a hose to connect to your extractor, in a workshop enviroment this may be a requirement more than if working outside. Personally in a workshop I would have cordless drill and impact driver but then everything else corded, these tools work until they die not because the battery has given up.

Hi everyone,
Really appreciate the comments and opinions. I had spoke to a local family run tool shop about buying multiple tools together and they said to put together a list of what I wanted and they'd do up a price. (To what extent of discount, I'm not sure, but if I know what I want, it's very easy shop around).
Just to clarify, I do have variations of the tools I listed and use (except for the impact driver). But they need upgrading. While my router is a bit in between both a trim router and a larger one, so would rather have job specific ones. I have a bandsaw, tablesaw, etc.

I am in Ireland, so will check out Amazon and MyToolShed, thanks! I'm Vat registered, but the problem with Brexit now is the Customs and Duties!!

If not going for cordless, it does open up the scope for different brands which may have better attributes than others.
But I think as has been said, the batteries lack of long term life is a big disadvantage. My father has good quality tools bought in the 70s and are still going strong!! So I think as a few have given their advice, battery drill and impact driver. Then corded everything else.

Thanks again all!
Tom

For tools fixed in one spot I'd buy corded all the time. Batteries are going to fail and they ain't cheap. For mobile tools like a trim router there is a good argument for cordless but have a backup in place. They always seem to fail when you are starting a project o_O

Most of my tools are cordless, I just find it so much easier. Also I agree don't be brand loyal, I run makita and milwaukee because I find some milwaukee stuff better than makita and vise versa.

If you're in a workshop, consider 110v. Transformers are cheap, the tools (are many people believe) better made, and often cheaper - certainly second hand. I've bought in the last year or so a 5" DeWalt random orbit sander, a Festool jigsaw (both new) a brilliant used 250mm Hitachi double bevel sliding mitre saw and transformer for less than £300.

Hi everyone,
Really appreciate the comments and opinions. I had spoke to a local family run tool shop about buying multiple tools together and they said to put together a list of what I wanted and they'd do up a price. (To what extent of discount, I'm not sure, but if I know what I want, it's very easy shop around).
Just to clarify, I do have variations of the tools I listed and use (except for the impact driver). But they need upgrading. While my router is a bit in between both a trim router and a larger one, so would rather have job specific ones. I have a bandsaw, tablesaw, etc.

I am in Ireland, so will check out Amazon and MyToolShed, thanks! I'm Vat registered, but the problem with Brexit now is the Customs and Duties!!

If not going for cordless, it does open up the scope for different brands which may have better attributes than others.
But I think as has been said, the batteries lack of long term life is a big disadvantage. My father has good quality tools bought in the 70s and are still going strong!! So I think as a few have given their advice, battery drill and impact driver. Then corded everything else.

Thanks again all!
Tom
Amazon Germany has become very popular in Ireland, much easier than Amazon UK and there’s a fulfilment centre in Baldonnell.
For me drills, drivers, impacts, SDS and circ saws are cordless. See little point in buying corded tools other than large or stationary items.

Old thread, but most of mine is battery, light, easy to take up a ladder / roof etc and no regular pat testing required ( site use )
I had 3 x 3ah makita batteries that lasted around 10 years, i now have lots of 5ah and expect similar lifespans. I used makita and dewalt cordless

Also a good point that has come up many times is that why have a cordless tool if it requires a hose to connect to your extractor, in a workshop enviroment this may be a requirement more than if working outside. Personally in a workshop I would have cordless drill and impact driver but then everything else corded, these tools work until they die not because the battery has given up.
In total agreement. Battery tools have come a long way and perform as well as corded tools these days but the letdown is always the battery. So where its convenient to plug in I do.
Regards
John

Latest posts

Back